• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

I bought car seats

LADryver

The Uber info I read says it is our discretion to take with or without car seats. But the law has seemed to side on the required car seats. I bought two backless child booster seats. The very next day a woman ordered a ride with two small children. I had one for each and the mother sat in the front. I have applied these seats on three rides since. I am feeling good about the purchase. I do not face conundrums about whether I should or shouldn't and it pays for itself in multiples over time. I do not struggle, I do not sweat. I put them into use. The adult responsible does the buckling of the kids. Done.

25rides7daysaweek

The Uber info I read says it is our discretion to take with or without car seats. But the law has seemed to side on the required car seats. I bought two backless child booster seats. The very next day a woman ordered a ride with two small children. I had one for each and the mother sat in the front. I have applied these seats on three rides since. I am feeling good about the purchase. I do not face conundrums about whether I should or shouldn't and it pays for itself in multiples over time. I do not struggle, I do not sweat. I put them into use. The adult responsible does the buckling of the kids. Done.
Are they giving you tips to pay
for the stuff you bought?
You are dragging around stuff that they were supposed to provide you know...

RideshareUSA

Did they appreciate your preparedness by tipping?

LADryver

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Every state is different ...
but, here in sue-happy California, my lawyer advised me not to do that.

IF it is your seat, and IF it fails during an accident, or IF a child is hurt in it during an accident - you can be sued.
That is what insurance is for. If they get hit by a drunk driver after I cancel and leave them at the street they can sue and car insurance does not cover that. The car seat is a federally registered and approved car seat being used in the manner it was designed for compliance with the law. The seat boosts them for proper and safe positioning of the car's seat belts.

LADryver

This one is sold in Target stores. As it happens we do need to take measures to ensure it's proper use, as pointed out by UberBastid that in a failure it could cause an unplanned liability. Mainly, we need to assist the parent in its adjustment if needed. There is a belt adjustment clip that attaches and can be used universally for all children who need it without encumbrance to children who do not. In my Target they accidentally brought me one that had the part missing but I made sure it was replaced with a complete model. It should come with a strap and instruction manual as well as a registration card. Mail the registration card for the incidence of a recall.

Post automatically merged:

Did they appreciate your preparedness by tipping?
None of them would tip no matter what. I find that those who set out to enter a child into a car without a car seat are not interested in tipping. I think that two of the three were taking their children with them in order to get a free ride with some complaint. After buckling in on one, I was directed to take a roundabout time consuming route that they could complain about instead. In the phone I heard the mother tell a school master to delay a charge in the debit card because they had no money. The child commented on the unusual route. I reported her as wanting a new route so as to have it in record. I collected the fee and felt fine. I probably got a one star for it. But she paid for every minute and every mile. She was otherwise not like someone you would usually meet.

Should I have cancelled on her? She was the last one out of work and had no child with her at first. There was a stop. At the school. Where he was the last kid. I told her about the seat and she told me to turn left instead of right after she buckled it up on him. He tried correcting it. She said, we are not going that way today.

Last edited:

Dekero

Nope, I'll continue to cancel on sorry @$$ parents who would order a ride knowing we do not provide car seats and yet still expecting us to take them and their child regardless of liability. No,nope,not gonna do it... I'll just stack up the $5 cancel fees and move on to a ride that doesn't put me Into a liable state..

SuzeCB

How old were the kids? Were they old enough to not require a 5-point restraint? Heavy/tall enough? How do you know? 100% absolutely?

Did you have your local police inspect the seats and make sure you know how to install them? Did you get certifications to those effects? How often will you be doing this? Are you insured to be using these commercially? Are they certified for commercial use?

This is the crap an insurance company will throw at you in a lawsuit if you get into an accident with these in use, even if someone else hits you.

Parents know what they're supposed to do. They just don't WANT to because it's inconvenient to cart those things around. They'll blame you, though, if something goes wrong.

YMMV

LAbDog65

Although I can see why a driver would do it, I am not going to. First, there are different types of seats needed for different ages/weights. What if I used the wrong kind. Also I would have to keep them in my trunk as I only have the required 4 passenger spaces. My trunk is small and I sometimes have difficulty fitting luggage in there as it is, let alone with one or two car seats.

LADryver

How old were the kids? Were they old enough to not require a 5-point restraint? Heavy/tall enough? How do you know? 100% absolutely?

Did you have your local police inspect the seats and make sure you know how to install them? Did you get certifications to those effects? How often will you be doing this? Are you insured to be using these commercially? Are they certified for commercial use?

This is the crap an insurance company will throw at you in a lawsuit if you get into an accident with these in use, even if someone else hits you.

Parents know what they're supposed to do. They just don't WANT to because it's inconvenient to cart those things around. They'll blame you, though, if something goes wrong.

YMMV
Because it is obvious. Under 4 years of age they must be bolted into a rear facing car seat. I will not transport those. These children are big children. 6 years old at their elementary school is obvious. Day Care students need the rear facing seats. This is just like a restaurant booster for height adjustment.

O-Side Uber

I think moms are finally getting it! Just when I think I’m going to have to cancel for a mom with small toddler , she whips a car seat out. Or in the least one of those flimsy backless ones. They must be getting the message. I can’t remember the last time I had to cancel for no car seat. I know LA is a bigger city and it likely still happens there.

LADryver

Although I can see why a driver would do it, I am not going to. First, there are different types of seats needed for different ages/weights. What if I used the wrong kind. Also I would have to keep them in my trunk as I only have the required 4 passenger spaces. My trunk is small and I sometimes have difficulty fitting luggage in there as it is, let alone with one or two car seats.
There is your choice needless to say. But only two kinds of car seat requirements. I choose to know that a seat complies with federal regulations, but a parent may use one that was more than ten years old which is not. The liability is on the driver.

I think moms are finally getting it! Just when I think I’m going to have to cancel for a mom with small toddler , she whips a car seat out. Or in the least one of those flimsy backless ones. They must be getting the message. I can’t remember the last time I had to cancel for no car seat. I know LA is a bigger city and it likely still happens there.
A small toddler is illegally carried in any front facing car seat.

O-Side Uber

There is your choice needless to say. But only two kinds of car seat requirements. I choose to know that a seat complies with federal regulations, but a parent may use one that was more than ten years old which is not. The liability is on the driver.

A small toddler is illegally carried in any front facing car seat.

So how would that work ? There’s an accident and the driver is responsible because he allowed the wrong type of car seat? I don’t have any children, how the heck would I know which carseats are which? I’ve never even changed a diaper. Lyft and Scruber should give more strict guidelines ...

Cold Fusion

Correction Sue-happy America. McDonald’s coffee opened the flood gates for everything under the sun.

Although a New Mexico civil jury awarded $2.86 million to plaintiff Stella Liebeck, a 79-year-old woman who suffered third-degree burns in her pelvic region when she accidentally spilled hot coffee in her lap after purchasing it from a McDonald'srestaurant, ultimately Liebeck was only awarded $640,000.

Dropking

Every state is different ...
but, here in sue-happy California, my lawyer advised me not to do that.

IF it is your seat, and IF it fails during an accident, or IF a child is hurt in it during an accident - you can be sued.
Right.. i wont strap their own seat in for the same reason.

So how would that work ? There’s an accident and the driver is responsible because he allowed the wrong type of car seat? I don’t have any children, how the heck would I know which carseats are which? I’ve never even changed a diaper. Lyft and Scruber should give more strict guidelines ...
Thats the very point. You dont know and yet are providing them as if you do know, which comes with implicit responsibility.

There is another related liability issue, in that the type of seat depends on age and weight of child. So you will be responsible for vouching that the seat you are providing is suitable for each child who you allow to use it.

Last edited:

Dekero

Because it is obvious. Under 4 years of age they must be bolted into a rear facing car seat. I will not transport those. These children are big children. 6 years old at their elementary school is obvious. Day Care students need the rear facing seats. This is just like a restaurant booster for height adjustment.
Here's the real question... Why is it my problem.. wait 5 collect and drive... Next

Wildgoose

I strongly believe that it is Uber responsibility for giving service to parents with no child seats. Uber could add a feature for them to request a car with child seats by paying more trip fares. It shouldn't be on driver's out of pocket money.

O-Side Uber

Although a New Mexico civil jury awarded $2.86 million to plaintiff Stella Liebeck, a 79-year-old woman who suffered third-degree burns in her pelvic region when she accidentally spilled hot coffee in her lap after purchasing it from a McDonald'srestaurant, ultimately Liebeck was only awarded $640,000.

Thats interesting. I just read a paper on Miles Mathis’s website about how many celebrity’s salaries are fake. This dude does great research papers , if you’re into questioning things...