Surge Donut

I go through at least 2-3 tanks of fuel a week. But with fuel prices always fluctuating up and down it's not always possible to buy at low price cycle.

So today went out and bought a large plastic fuel container. Now I can fill up both the car and the jerry can when it's cheap and it will cover me until prices drop again.

It's also a tax deductible purchase so you should consider keeping one in your boot too. Just make sure it's strapped down with a jockey strap so it doesn't slide around.

IMG_1140.JPG

PJube

I go through at least 2-3 tanks of fuel a week. But with fuel prices always fluctuating up and down it's not always possible to buy at low price cycle.

So today went out and bought a large plastic fuel container. Now I can fill up both the car and the jerry can when it's cheap and it will cover me until prices drop again.

It's also a tax deductible purchase so you should consider keeping one in your boot too. Just make sure it's strapped down with a jockey strap so it doesn't slide around.

View attachment 126750

I love your entrepreneurial attitude but it's a bit like buying a table-spoon of International Roast while it's on special. I think you're taking the 5iss, although if not, and you don't drive a Ute, enjoy the new smell, especially if/when it spills.

UberDriverAU

Permanently carrying around a container with fuel in it in an enclosed area with people is a very bad idea. Personally, I have a couple of 20L jerry cans that I fill up on Mondays when fuel is cheapest in Perth, but they're stored safely in my backyard shed until I need them. I also have a jiggle siphon that makes it very easy to safely refuel at home.

tohunt4me

Sure . . .
You bought it to " Stock Up" when gas is on " Sale".

We know how that works !

Personally , i have a few friends who are boat captains.
I would consider buying a diesel and making " arrangements "for fuel procurements.
Perhaps 5- 6, 55 gallon drums at a time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-06-06-04-44-55.png
    Screenshot_2017-06-06-04-44-55.png
    102.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_2017-06-06-04-47-21.png
    Screenshot_2017-06-06-04-47-21.png
    106.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_2017-06-06-04-54-55.png
    Screenshot_2017-06-06-04-54-55.png
    82.3 KB · Views: 50

χ²(1)

you should consider keeping one in your boot too. Just make sure it's strapped down with a jockey strap so it doesn't slide around.
Why keep it in the boot all the time? Why not keep your full can at home, where you can fill up when necessary?

ubermatt88

I also do this, I know one of the servo's near me drops down rediculously low price at night just after uber pay clears, and i fill up the car and an extra 80L in containers, it makes it easier to budget for the following week

Surge Donut

Worst idea ever...

You don't have to do it I was just sharing the idea for people who might want to stock up while prices are low.

Personally, I have a couple of 20L jerry cans that I fill up on Mondays when fuel is cheapest in Perth, but they're stored safely in my backyard shed until I need them.
That's exactly what I'm doing except maybe I'll do a few trips between when I fill up and when I go home. I do have roof racks maybe I could tie it onto that if smell becomes an issue with riders.

I also do this, I know one of the servo's near me drops down rediculously low price at night just after uber pay clears, and i fill up the car and an extra 80L in containers, it makes it easier to budget for the following week

This is good to hear.. I am not completely crazy then! :p

ncc

What a fantabulous idea!! Have you ever bothered to check how much you have saved for these efforts? Are you sure a can will really cover you until the price drops again?

You may have better luck with the 7-Eleven price lock app - in case it is still around.

Fuel price fluctuation is one of those uncontrollable elements in this "business" - guess we just have to live with it?

UberRA

I have 3 x 5L containers. Empties don't smell and just have to be careful not to spill it when filling up. I also use the 7 11 app. Keep the full containers at home.

If you buy a container, it will cost you around $1 per litre of storage capacity. Each fill will save you around 20c / litre so it takes around 5 fills to break even. Depending on your technique, there might be a little bit of spillage.

20L won't get you far though. Maybe 2 shifts?

snert

Don't even want to think about that.

Reminds me of the petrol strikes many years back.

It is dangerous at the best of times filling up, but at least the liability is in the hands of the service station and the vehicle manufacturer.

If you start filling and transporting cans of fuel and something goes wrong!!!...............don't expect your insurance company to help you.

Believe me, I have had things go seriously wrong trying to cut a few corners and save a few bucks.........and not a day goes by that it does not come back to haunt me.