Uber Drivers Forum banner

Are you willing to speak up about the unfair, and unjust rates Houston area drivers are provided?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I believe its time we took a stand against the low rates we've been provided for years.

9K views 118 replies 33 participants last post by  Christinebitg 
#1 ·
We're going to need to take a stand here. The more people, passengers and drivers we can get involved the better. For years now we've been getting the lowest rates possible. UBER has gotten away with it until this point. I plan to raise awareness for us. I've started a petition. Which is the first step in creating a public profile for us. Creating a strike is a last step, and I do not tend to encourage it unless we hit multiple walls and hurdles from UBER on this issue.

In 2014 our per milage rates were around $1.70. They've decreased it to an insulting level, we're working long hard hours and our earnings are not adding up. Here is a link to the petition. Share it with your family, you friends. Passengers are not aware of how they're shafting us by ordering rides.

https://www.change.org/p/the-housto...ing-in-unfair-and-unjustly-low-per-mile-rates

#5 ·
That's no help. If drivers had a bett
Yes, it can be signed under an assumed name. To my understanding signing it doesn't violate the contracts UBER makes you e-sign.

My posting it, with driver screenshots does, so I'm likely sacrificing my account, so I'm really counting on you guys to make it happen. I'll be there every step of the way. May I ask what your rate breakdowns are where you're from?
First step is stop using fuber's phony terms such as rideshare, accounts, partners, independent contractor, deactivation, technology company, etc.

We're poorly paid employee radio dispatched taxi drivers who aren't allowed to do street hails.

Your're not sacrificing your account, you're risking being FIRED.

Also, I REFUSE to quote fuber's phony rates before their "service fee"

There is no service fee. Fuber simply marks up our pay rates and then marks them down.

Here in DC the rates are.... .86 base fare / .81 per mile / .1275 per minute / $3.75 minimum fare

In DC, fuber charges pax $1.80 "booking fee"

#4 ·
Yes, it can be signed under an assumed name. To my understanding signing it doesn't violate the contracts UBER makes you e-sign.

My posting it, with driver screenshots does, so I'm likely sacrificing my account, so I'm really counting on you guys to make it happen. I'll be there every step of the way. May I ask what your rate breakdowns are where you're from?

#7 ·
"I'm hoping to create a public awareness. The passengers with any sense of moral will be willing to fight with us."

US: Hey pax did you know Uber has been charging you a lot but then giving drivers peanuts

Pax: Wow, that sucks! I am outaged let me sign...

US: so you support better rates for drivers! YEAH

Pax: No Uber should lower my rates and stop ripping me off

#18 · (Edited)
Then stop paying attention. We're looking for support. If you're incapable of providing such a thing don't follow along. You're trolling people who are trying to do legitimate good for an entire community of people. We will not be suppressed. We will not yield to the likes of you.
Lolz!, you think boober is going to "yield to the likes of you"?

You are the kind of person boober enjoys sucking value from. Enjoy being a brainwashed slave.:p

#21 ·
Eventually someone will have the courage to go the distance & make a difference
Well I've posted screenshots of proprietary driver information. Something that violates UBER's contracts they force us to sign in order to provide rides.

I am very likely to be deactivated from UBER for starting this petition. So I'm counting on you guys to carry this through to the end. If I lose my driver account, but an entire community gains even a little more than they have now... well it's worth losing.

#25 · (Edited)
I support better rates but you have to understand basic economics in regards to ridesharing service. Houston has a tremendous amount of poor people, many who recently came to this country, who are desperate for work. For example, I just had a guy from Venezuela beg for me to fill up his car with gasoline at the gas station yesterday, because he said he can't afford it with all the deliveries he's making for income.

Subsequently, with low barriers to entry in order to become a driver, the natural progression of rates should unfortunately be down to where they are now. The only long term solution is for Uber to restrict driver supply by firing drivers with below average ratings (below 4.7 stars), insist on higher quality vehicles, and maybe even start doing credit checks on people to weed out more people. Part time driving should be restricted in the Summer months since it's slow for full time drivers. There is no logical reason to allow a flood of part time drivers every summer when demand naturally decreases. If your app is not active 30+ hours a week you really have no business driving for Uber at all. You're just ruining someone else's chance at making a living for themselves (typically someone underprivileged in comparison).

Uber needs to stop treating their drivers like this is a gig and treat it as full time employment. Add required number of hours per week that the app must be online. Punish people who selectively cancel rides looking for something better. However, the problem goes beyond Uber, and it's reflected in our country's loose immigration policies. We have no standards when it comes to who we let in this country and whether they're a net addition or subtraction overall.

#28 · (Edited)
Yes, I agree. Essentially market forces are what are really at play here. These guys have huge teams of people who handle all aspects of this game. Legal, marketing, app development, business strategy, etc. They look at everything and try to optimize their business while also dealing with competitors. They have in my opinion made mistakes along the way, and they still do make mistakes, but the broader issue is most likely the actual dynamics of the market they're engaging in, which is beyond their control. Uber/Lyft did not create the standards for the marketplace they entered, they merely analyzed them and built a business based on what they found. The issue I've always had was I felt they had the opportunity to raise those standards, but maybe it's more complicated than we realize, because politics get involved when you make certain decisions to create quality jobs and services. So what some driver on a message board thinks, is simply going to make them laugh, because none of us are sitting in the meeting rooms and looking at all the data they look at. Yes, we know that they are exploitative, lying bastards, but that's just the state of our world. Until it's politically correct to do the right thing, all we're going to get is trash. Back in 2008, I really thought Obama was going to be the guy that would come in and change things, but he turned out to be a complete liar and fraud, and when he failed to achieve results for people he began dividing everyone with blame games and excuses so the finger isn't pointed at him when he was the failure. Have a nice day, everyone.

#29 ·
I am with you 100%. Uber and LYFT had takes us for granted and raping us anyway they can. Lets get going. I say we all stop driving at least one day of teh week. They busiest the better. we sure can take a day off in any week.

Lets ask our Mayor, city council man, and rep why this business is not regulated. ?? why we do not have a rate structure

This my proposal. Minimum $5 fare upto 3 miles.$1 for each extra passenger.
$1.10/ mile. Minimum $2.00 tips

Set up fees for the UBER and LYFT is $.69 under $5, $.75 for Under $10 , $1.50 between $10 and $20 .

Return fees for the long fare out of the business district.

#30 ·
I am with you 100%. Uber and LYFT had takes us for granted and raping us anyway they can. Lets get going. I say we all stop driving at least one day of teh week. They busiest the better. we sure can take a day off in any week.

Lets ask our Mayor, city council man, and rep why this business is not regulated. ?? why we do not have a rate structure

This my proposal. Minimum $5 fare upto 3 miles.$1 for each extra passenger.
$1.10/ mile. Minimum $2.00 tips

Set up fees for the UBER and LYFT is $.69 under $5, $.75 for Under $10 , $1.50 between $10 and $20 .

Return fees for the long fare out of the business district.
There are THOUSANDS of drivers in Houston and MILLIONS of dollars in Uber's cash reserves to entice drivers to log on. They're not going to change the rates. Get real.

#34 ·
The cities of Houston, Galveston, Corpus Christi, and Austin did regulate rideshares at one time. (Maybe Dallas too, idk) The Texas legislature passed a law removing those regulations last September. The medallion regulations are still in place for taxi companies, though. I could be wrong, but I don't think regulations are the answer. The over regulated medallion taxi cab cartel/monopoly is a perfect example of how regulations can go wrong.

Also, Uber's per mile rate cut was intended to pull pax from public transit, not just to undercut Lyft.

It's a mess, for sure, and there are no easy solutions, but I don't think more regulation on the part of municipalities or state/federal government is the answer.
Uber thinks the economic aspect (being cheaper than others) will ultimately wash away all their sins and lead them to the top. They are sadly mistaken. People were created by God and whether they want to admit it or not, they despise evil and would rather die than let evil reign. Uber operates under the assumption that we are animals who function purely on survival instincts. Sadly mistaken.

#35 ·
Seriously, please, seek professional help! Uber thinks cheap rates will wash away their Sins? That is not, and never has been, a thought in anyone's head at Uber. Uber has been able to tap into the animals that are in a desperate survival mode and they have been able to work that desperation to a level never seen since the slaves were freed.

Reactions: tohunt4me
#36 ·
The market will correct itself. At least one would think. These low rates means lousy drivers and junky cars. If Uber wants to race to the bottom to be seen as cheap transportation for the poor, by the poor, they are well on their way. Educated drivers with nice cars are going to find something else to do.

Another service for the middle/upper class will take over. Lots of pax are already spending extra on XL because they're sick of the nasty cars they get on X. However since many XL drivers (myself included) need to take X rides to make it work, those XL vehicles are going to be rusty old vans with busted shocks.

#58 ·
Lots of pax are already spending extra on XL because they're sick of the nasty cars they get on X.
I agree with the nasty car aspect. Open up their trunks and there are soccer balls, dirty shoes, papers, etc. Old hooptys with grungy carpets, dirty windows and they smell.
I pride myself on keeping my XL vehicle clean and I get many positive comments as a result.

We are letting Trump reign. That's evil.
Sorry, but the country is in FAR better shape with Trump. Unemployment at record lows, the economy is roaring, and on and on and on. Don't listen to nor buy any of the crap you're getting from fake news CNN and PMSNBC.
Anxious to vote for him again for MAGA until 2024!

#37 ·
The cities of Houston, Galveston, Corpus Christi, and Austin did regulate rideshares at one time. (Maybe Dallas too, idk) The Texas legislature passed a law removing those regulations last September. The medallion regulations are still in place for taxi companies, though. I could be wrong, but I don't think regulations are the answer. The over regulated medallion taxi cab cartel/monopoly is a perfect example of how regulations can go wrong.

Also, Uber's per mile rate cut was intended to pull pax from public transit, not just to undercut Lyft.

It's a mess, for sure, and there are no easy solutions, but I don't think more regulation on the part of municipalities or state/federal government is the answer.
I never mentioned Government regulation, I said Uber needs to take it upon themselves to restrict driver supply in various ways that make sense and increase overall customer/driver satisfaction.

#44 ·
I don't know how the immigration process works. Guess I could ask my dad. I'm sure it is full of BS, but I never once in my live saw him complain about it. In fact, I remember being surprised the day he got his citizenship. I didn't even realize he wasn't a citizen. Can't be that difficult.
I'm more than certain the immigration process has changed dramatically since your dad's time. My parents emigrated too. From England. They did complain about the process. It is hard and it is expensive and it varies from country to country. Act like one and see.

#51 ·
We moved here from England in 1978. My stepfather's father was American (was Polish, came over to Canada then the US after WWII and got citizenship) and he sponsored us. I was 13 and I remember my mom telling me what a long drawn out process it was. My stepfather was a chief engineer working for Del Monte on their ships so he was already working for an American company. Even with that, it took about 2 years.

#46 ·
I'd argue that we have no standards when it comes to who we let stay in this country. I mean, come on.

Yes, we do have standards and we have limits and allowances and quotas and it's all a big fat nightmare. Check it out. Act like you're a resident of Guatemala and check out how you would start the process to immigrate here. You'll see the standards. And then you'll see the nightmare of forms and fees and the complicated process one must go thru to enter here legally. Then consider if your life is in danger right now and tell me you'd follow procedure to save yourself.

It's called free market.

But all this aside, doesn't matter, because in Texas, an undocumented person cannot get a license and drive for Uber..

We are letting Trump reign. That's evil.
Really? Then why are like half of the Uber drivers in Houston recent immigrants? The guy from Venezuela can't even afford to put gasoline in his car to work, and yet somehow this guy is a net addition to our economy and culture? Give me a break. That guy has no business in this country, he's just taking a job from another poor and underprivileged person and driving wages down overall at the lower end. We don't need more people who can barely speak english in Houston or the US, legal or illegal, doesn't matter. If you don't have a college education and speak **fluent** English, you really have no business coming to this country AT ALL.

#50 ·
I never mentioned Government regulation, I said Uber needs to take it upon themselves to restrict driver supply in various ways that make sense and increase overall customer/driver satisfaction.
I was replying to "Listen41," who DID mention government regulation. Go back and look who I quoted in my original reply.

Really? Then why are like half of the Uber drivers in Houston recent immigrants? The guy from Venezuela can't even afford to put gasoline in his car to work, and yet somehow this guy is a net addition to our economy and culture? Give me a break. That guy has no business in this country, he's just taking a job from another poor and underprivileged person and driving wages down overall at the lower end. We don't need more people who can barely speak english in Houston or the US, legal or illegal, doesn't matter. If you don't have a college education and speak **fluent** English, you really have no business coming to this country AT ALL.
Where did you attend college?

#52 ·
My sample size is small, but given the half dozen Uber rides I take yearly as a rider I am able to discern that half of the drivers are Kool-Aid drinking newbs who have been at it less than two months. They'll chase every 1.3 surge they see. They don't yet see the fact that vomit cleaning fee reimbursement >> money from surges.

Organizing doesn't work when a good half of the workers will sell out the picket line for a nickel.

#54 ·
Let your racism and elitism wave.

#61 ·
A President being in office for just over a year cannot cause the effects that are happening now. The good news happening now are the results of the previous administration. Except for the excellent trade deficit numbers and that happened because everyone wants to do trade before the economy crushing tariffs are put in place. The number is unsustainable as it will simply be a one time event and the numbers for the next quarter will be super low. Trump will have to figure out a way to blame that on someone else.

Reactions: WonderLeeWoman
#62 ·
Yes, this is definitely the boom that is the result of Obama-era innovations like Uber/Lyft, an exploitative business that could only come about and thrive under someone like Obama, who had absolutely zero interest in addressing any of the fundamental weaknesses of the American economy, which since all world economies are connected into a global economy, made him a worldwide menace, and ruined our standing (reputation and otherwise) in the world. Can you point to any specific action he took that would prove me wrong? No. You have it the complete opposite way around. All the good that's happening is a result of Trump, all the bad that remains is from Obama. The only reason you're saying otherwise is because you are quite possibly a sociopath.

Here's the thing. People are very unhappy, and I get that. But to be so deranged as to say Obama is the answer and Trump is the problem, is very twisted. Neither are true. Obama is a nobody who is exploiting the weak, and Trump is leading the pack of slightly above average intelligence people who are saying hold up this is not right, and fighting back. I'm in neither camp really. I don't place my faith in a single mortal leader. That's a recipe for disaster. But I'm not going to treat someone unfairly. Why was Obama showered with love and acceptance unconditionally from the start, without doing anything to work for it? Why does that seem fair to you? I mean, he was given the Nobel Peace Prize shortly after taking office. How can anyone say that is fair treatment?

Be prepared for the world to collapse under it's own weight. Too much nonsense going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.