I am uneasy that there will be almost no Uber drivers left driving on the road after the UI payments uniformly roll across the nation.

Unemployment Payments; Possible Effects on the Rideshare Industry

Empty Roads
pull-station-3151778_1280 (1).jpg

As I have been reading about the current unprecedented situation, one issue particularly concerns me. For probably a significant overwhelming majority of current active drivers, the unemployment payments (with the $600 add on from the Federal government) will result in most being paid a notably higher amount of money relative to what they can and are making right now. This would greatly support those who are choosing to be cautious with their health and stay home to protect themselves and their families. I completely understand their choice and am glad they will be financially supported. My concern relates to what the general public will receive in terms of prompt service. There was one case on another thread where a driver reported making $1200 for the week. I find that VERY surprising (given the paucity and lack of requests) but I will give him/or her the benefit of doubt and believe its veracity.

Gross vs. Net
20200507_165054 (1).jpg

I strongly believe to reach those numbers it would have required the driver to have worked likely 7 days a week and 10-12 hours each day/night for the entirety of the week (especially because Uber took away the bonuses like the Quest Promotions, consecutive ride payments, etc). But of course, everyone knows that receiving $1200 from Uber is not the "real" take home amount. You have to subtract the cost of many many full gas fillups, tolls, and general wear and tear on the car. So maybe the true cost in that case is a net profit of slightly under $1000. But...here where I live in Illinois, many people (including Uber drivers who were lucky enough to already be approved and paid out)… were reporting bi-weekly deposits of over $2000, or OVER $1000 per week (because they either faxed in or were quite fortunate).

The Pros and Cons of Driving
risk-1945683_1280 (1).jpg

In the case of Illinois, it is reported that in less than one week on May 11th, the "gig worker" portal will open up at IDES (our state unemployment office). When this happens, the Uber drivers who qualify will have a choice. Either they can work crazy long hours and accept ALL rides irrespective of being in dangerous areas of the city (and possibly exposing themselves and their families to a deadly virus)... OR, they can stay home, be safe from a health perspective, have no wear and tear on their car, no gas expenses, no risks inherent in being a driver (i.e. car accidents, ill tempered passengers, etc.) and collect over $1000 per week. This amount would either match but rather likely far exceed the pay of the drivers who work like a machine 24/7 to achieve the same result.

I imagine most will choose the later option, and stay home. If so, I do express concern that there will be no service to the public. Already, here in Illinois, buses are running one or two hours behind or not even showing up at all. And the same is true for the El train and Metra rail services. Plus, all the taxicabs are parked...

Driver Shortage
20200507_170604 (1).jpg

When the mad rush to the exits opens in a floodgate, my instinct points to the very distinct possibility that there will be an unimaginable dearth of drivers. Simply, there will be almost no transit service left to those in the public who really need to get around (like health care workers). The aforementioned case I wrote was the very highest reported gross earnings ($1200) I read. Again, I posit that figure would likely demand that a driver push him/herself to the limit of driving (and have a very lucky week), and he/she is also putting themselves in the line of fire of a deadly virus which could also collapse their family's health if they bring the virus home. And I alluded to the obvious fact that one HAS to take into account gas money, tolls, possible red light/speed camera violations, ill mannered riders, and general wear and tear on the car, and higher mileage to their odometer (all of which are very real economic and psychological costs to an Uber driver).

If one considers both options, I believe most will choose the safer and healthier option and stay at home. If one chooses to work as the one driver I specified, then I applaud him/her and can only honor such actions (I must note that I have zero idea in which city they are driving in and during which hours). It seems like an unbelievable amount that he/she reported, but I will for the sake of argument believe his/her story is factual. For myself, for the hours I drive, and the shifts I work, and the areas I prefer to drive, I calculate I would do likely do FAR better (from a combined health and financial perspective) working at a McDonald's (and I would even get one free meal there).

When I consider the balance of all the factors both economic and health, it seems like a given that most all the current Uber drivers left will stop driving. OR, they will continue and not report accurate earnings to their state's unemployment office on the days of their certifications (of which there are many active threads running addressing this). Either way, I predict there will be a severe drought of drivers. Many who are unemployed in other fields will likely delay signing up to drive for Uber because they too are getting paid over $1000 per week combined because they already had W-2's to ease them early on into the UI system when the pandemic struck.

The Return of Pax
pedestrians-1209316_1280 (1).jpg

I am writing out of concern that the overall transit service for the public will be greatly compromised even more than it already is. Even currently, when I log on to the app here in Chicago, sometimes there are so few drivers that customers complain they had to wait over 30 minutes for an Uber. Also, to cause notable additional vexation to the drivers, many receive rider requests emerge which require them to drive 15-20 minutes for 3 minute drive (which is not worth it from an economic basis). I sense the situation (when it comes to serving the public) will be so substandard as to be alarming.

Since I did not know where to put this post in a particular category, I advise that Uber redouble its efforts to make good on their promise of giving out cleaning supplies and masks to the drivers who choose to work (who could give them to passengers who lack them), and possibly offer incentives to fearless and valiant drivers who brave it out and continue to "keep on truckin'" and power through the dangers. I respect them of course who do this either from a desire not to receive government assistance as a principle, but I also EQUALLY respect those who choose to stay home and thereby protect themselves and their loved ones of contracting a deadly virus (and possibly becoming a disease vector to spread to all they come into contact with). Since those who stay home will receive an equal compensation to those who choose to work mighty long and treacherous hours to receive a similar sum, they have an understandable and logical reason to go this route. Does anyone else share in my sense of trepidation as to the possible upcoming Uber service shellshock?

Last edited:

Comments

• Article Author Article Author
Hopefully... and I concur about McDonald's. That food is a sure fire way of "contracting" a heart attack. I remember the documentary "Super Size Me", and how the star's cholesterol and other electrolytes and enzymes were severely compromised from healthy levels after a month's diet. I try my best to avoid such food, but when I do partake, I feel quite nauseated after.

Yeah... I don't know how to feel about that. I feel optimistic that our great country can get back to excellence when states lift the stay at home orders, but I feel terrible about those who are really happy and comfortable with receiving their large dollar benefits. One of my close friends were one of the lucky ones to be getting paid as an Uber driver as "laid off", and he is already on a months long road trip across the US. If his UI stops while he is camping out in the middle of Arizona (one of his planned stops), I don't know what he will do.

Yes there will be a massive shortage of drivers once the Unemployment benefits start rolling out to the drivers smart enough to claim & get them

at least until 7/31 when the extra Fed $600 expires

after that it depends on what state your in

Here in Texas 99% of the drivers are getting $207 a week (with the extra $600 it totals $807 per week until 7/31)

now, not all the drivers are collecting yet (likely to smooth out by end of May)

But you will be paid for all weeks backdated to your application date (lump sum $2 -$3K for the 4-8 week delay)

but after 7/31 it goes back to $207

now the good news 😉

Texas has Self Employed report their NET PROFITS for the week they work

NET PROFITS is profits AFTER EXPENSES

so if you drive 20 hours & make $400 & drive 1,000 miles you report “Net Profits” after expenses for that week (1,000 miles times $.575 = $575 expense so your “Net Profit for that week is -$175 which is reported as Worked 20 hours & Net Profit of $0)

so you qualify for the $207 as your NET PROFITS are $0 (so yes you get the $207 on top of the $400 😉)

you can claim until the overall 39 weeks runs out (or an extra 23 weeks after 7/31)

so the drivers who understand we don’t have “Earnings” & as a self employed business we have “Profits” can get an extra $828 per month until the end of the year (the DUA/PUA expire at the end of December 2020)

So, for now I’m good with the $807 per week until 7/31 & I’ll enjoy my PayCation for the next 2 & 1/2 months

I’ll start driving again sometime in August & will enjoy the extra $207 per week on top of my weekly “Profits” 😏

AD03A82A-9F3F-4BF9-869C-FA7A8F86B5CF.jpeg

As I have been reading about the current unprecedented situation, one issue particularly concerns me. For probably a significant overwhelming majority of current active drivers, the unemployment payments (with the $600 add on from the Federal government) will result in most being paid a notably higher amount of money relative to what they can and are making right now. This would greatly support those who are choosing to be cautious with their health and stay home to protect themselves and their families. I completely understand their choice and am glad they will be financially supported.
That's the entire PURPOSE of the $600 Stimulus Money ..Get off the Road ...

They don't want you to driver because you/we are spreading COVID ...getting it from passengers and passing it on to other passengers.

My City is around 100k people... for the longest time 45 days or so we were at 5,6 and 7 COVID cases.. now we are at 1,516 with around 150 new cases each day.

It isn't TIME to go back driving here yet ... the $600 is to keep us off the roads

Dear KevinJohnson, I totally hear you... I hope everything works out well for everyone.

LMAO

if you don’t know how to work the “Apply for Jobs” condition then your not doing it right

I can apply for that Executive Vice President position at Halliburton that pays $2 Million per year

doubt I’ll get it but that’s going on my “Job Search” record

on the other hand as a SELF EMPLOYED DUA recipient I’m not required to do the Job Search (as I’m self employed I’m employed but due to the lack of business I can’t make money because the virus has reduced usage in my market)

again, if you know what your doing & understand the requirements & the specific details it’s easier to make “Profits” 😉
The TWC will tell you that the state has lifted the SAH and you can now apply for work. Then they will cutoff your staycation funds.

Yes there will be a massive shortage of drivers once the Unemployment benefits start rolling out to the drivers smart enough to claim & get them

at least until 7/31 when the extra Fed $600 expires

after that it depends on what state your in

Here in Texas 99% of the drivers are getting $207 a week (with the extra $600 it totals $807 per week until 7/31)

now, not all the drivers are collecting yet (likely to smooth out by end of May)

But you will be paid for all weeks backdated to your application date (lump sum $2 -$3K for the 4-8 week delay)

but after 7/31 it goes back to $207

now the good news 😉

Texas has Self Employed report their NET PROFITS for the week they work

NET PROFITS is profits AFTER EXPENSES

so if you drive 20 hours & make $400 & drive 1,000 miles you report “Net Profits” after expenses for that week (1,000 miles times $.575 = $575 expense so your “Net Profit for that week is -$175 which is reported as Worked 20 hours & Net Profit of $0)

so you qualify for the $207 as your NET PROFITS are $0 (so yes you get the $207 on top of the $400 😉)

you can claim until the overall 39 weeks runs out (or an extra 23 weeks after 7/31)

so the drivers who understand we don’t have “Earnings” & as a self employed business we have “Profits” can get an extra $828 per month until the end of the year (the DUA/PUA expire at the end of December 2020)

So, for now I’m good with the $807 per week until 7/31 & I’ll enjoy my PayCation for the next 2 & 1/2 months

I’ll start driving again sometime in August & will enjoy the extra $207 per week on top of my weekly “Profits” 😏

View attachment 458519
Why am i still working ???

What is Wrong with me !

As I have been reading about the current unprecedented situation, one issue particularly concerns me. For probably a significant overwhelming majority of current active drivers, the unemployment payments (with the $600 add on from the Federal government) will result in most being paid a notably higher amount of money relative to what they can and are making right now. This would greatly support those who are choosing to be cautious with their health and stay home to protect themselves and their families. I completely understand their choice and am glad they will be financially supported. My concern relates to what the general public will receive in terms of prompt service. There was one case on another thread where a driver reported making $1200 for the week. I find that VERY surprising (given the paucity and lack of requests) but I will give him/or her the benefit of doubt and believe its veracity.

I strongly believe to reach those numbers it would have required the driver to have worked likely 7 days a week and 10-12 hours each day/night for the entirety of the week (especially because Uber took away the bonuses like the Quest Promotions, consecutive ride payments, etc). But of course, everyone knows that receiving $1200 from Uber is not the "real" take home amount. You have to subtract the cost of many many full gas fillups, tolls, and general wear and tear on the car. So maybe the true cost in that case is a net profit of slightly under $1000. But...here where I live in Illinois, many people (including Uber drivers who were lucky enough to already be approved and paid out)… were reporting bi-weekly deposits of over $2000, or OVER $1000 per week (because they either faxed in or were quite fortunate).

In the case of Illinois, it is reported that in less than one week on May 11th, the "gig worker" portal will open up at IDES (our state unemployment office). When this happens, the Uber drivers who qualify will have a choice. Either they can work crazy long hours and accept ALL rides irrespective of being in dangerous areas of the city (and possibly exposing themselves and their families to a deadly virus)... OR, they can stay home, be safe from a health perspective, have no wear and tear on their car, no gas expenses, no risks inherent in being a driver (i.e. car accidents, ill tempered passengers, etc.) and collect over $1000 per week. This amount would either match but rather likely far exceed the pay of the drivers who work like a machine 24/7 to achieve the same result.

I imagine most will choose the later option, and stay home. If so, I do express concern that there will be no service to the public. Already, here in Illinois, buses are running one or two hours behind or not even showing up at all. And the same is true for the El train and Metra rail services. Plus, all the taxicabs are parked...

When the mad rush to the exits opens in a floodgate, my instinct points to the very distinct possibility that there will be an unimaginable dearth of drivers. Simply, there will be almost no transit service left to those in the public who really need to get around (like health care workers). The aforementioned case I wrote was the very highest reported gross earnings ($1200) I read. Again, I posit that figure would likely demand that a driver push him/herself to the limit of driving (and have a very lucky week), and he/she is also putting themselves in the line of fire of a deadly virus which could also collapse their family's health if they bring the virus home. And I alluded to the obvious fact that one HAS to take into account gas money, tolls, possible red light/speed camera violations, ill mannered riders, and general wear and tear on the car, and higher mileage to their odometer (all of which are very real economic and psychological costs to an Uber driver).

If one considers both options, I believe most will choose the safer and healthier option and stay at home. If one chooses to work as the one driver I specified, then I applaud him/her and can only honor such actions (I must note that I have zero idea in which city they are driving in and during which hours). It seems like an unbelievable amount that he/she reported, but I will for the sake of argument believe his/her story is factual. For myself, for the hours I drive, and the shifts I work, and the areas I prefer to drive, I calculate I would do likely do FAR better (from a combined health and financial perspective) working at a McDonald's (and I would even get one free meal there).

When I consider the balance of all the factors both economic and health, it seems like a given that most all the current Uber drivers left will stop driving. OR, they will continue and not report accurate earnings to their state's unemployment office on the days of their certifications (of which there are many active threads running addressing this). Either way, I predict there will be a severe drought of drivers. Many who are unemployed in other fields will likely delay signing up to drive for Uber because they too are getting paid over $1000 per week combined because they already had W-2's to ease them early on into the UI system when the pandemic struck.

I am writing out of concern that the overall transit service for the public will be greatly compromised even more than it already is. Even currently, when I log on to the app here in Chicago, sometimes there are so few drivers that customers complain they had to wait over 30 minutes for an Uber. Also, to cause notable additional vexation to the drivers, many receive rider requests emerge which require them to drive 15-20 minutes for 3 minute drive (which is not worth it from an economic basis). I sense the situation (when it comes to serving the public) will be so substandard as to be alarming.

Since I did not know where to put this post in a particular category, I advise that Uber redouble its efforts to make good on their promise of giving out cleaning supplies and masks to the drivers who choose to work (who could give them to passengers who lack them), and possibly offer incentives to fearless and valiant drivers who brave it out and continue to "keep on truckin'" and power through the dangers. I respect them of course who do this either from a desire not to receive government assistance as a principle, but I also EQUALLY respect those who choose to stay home and thereby protect themselves and their loved ones of contracting a deadly virus (and possibly becoming a disease vector to spread to all they come into contact with). Since those who stay home will receive an equal compensation to those who choose to work mighty long and treacherous hours to receive a similar sum, they have an understandable and logical reason to go this route. Does anyone else share in my sense of trepidation as to the possible upcoming Uber service shellshock?
The enhanced unemployment is temporary.

I only had to wait about 30 days

but I was lucky I had the financial savings to wait (I stopped driving on 3/28)

now that savings has been replenished & I’m using the extra to pamper my car (new tires, transmission flush, LED Lights, Waterproof seat covers, new Neoprene floor mats, etc)

but once I start back up in August I understand the difference between “Earnings” & “Profits”

we don’t have “Earnings”
We have “Profits”

And “Net Profits” will give me an extra $207 per week on top of my driving “Profits” so it’s an extra “Profit Bonus” I’ll enjoy putting in my Goldman Sachs Savings account 😉

The PUA is like a game....they probably accept 95% of the applications and figure if you can hold off waiting the 50 days to get it, here it is.....💕🌹💕

For every driver staying home chillin on UI, there’ll be more rides for drivers who don’t mind the risk!

I stopped driving. As did other driver friends. While others are still driving. The ones that are, have an issue with, “free money”. I don’t have those qualms

To each his own! I can’t wait till my UI comes through! I’ll be sitting on my ass in style!

As if I was out there for the public to begin with , I’m out there to profit by any means I can , if that means I shuffle you in your face just because I feel like it , so be it . I’m not running a charity . My way is the highway or 3.98 , your choice , we’ll actually I always make the choice as I’m driving

Yeah... I don't know how to feel about that. I feel optimistic that our great country can get back to excellence when states lift the stay at home orders, but I feel terrible about those who are really happy and comfortable with receiving their large dollar benefits. One of my close friends were one of the lucky ones to be getting paid as an Uber driver as "laid off", and he is already on a months long road trip across the US. If his UI stops while he is camping out in the middle of Arizona (one of his planned stops), I don't know what he will do.
Instead of saving money while the UI is coming in(because we don’t know when this will end), he took a road trip and blowing his UI. These are the kind of bad decisions Uber drivers make.

For every driver staying home chillin on UI, there’ll be more rides for drivers who don’t mind the risk!

I stopped driving. As did other driver friends. While others are still driving. The ones that are, have an issue with, “free money”. I don’t have those qualms

To each his own! I can’t wait till my UI comes through! I’ll be sitting on my ass in style!
Have an issue with free money?? No thats not the issue maybe some of us have a problem with the $750 part. Id rather work 60 hours and take home $1200 then to sit on my ass and collect a free $750 but I know most people will choose lazy over any other option if you give them a choice. I know where I live $750/week wont let you get anywhere but stand in place. Can’t save any money with $750 only just getting by...I guess some are just content on getting by.