1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

I am a new uber driver got suspended

Discussion in 'Ratings' started by Lawrence Levitt, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Lawrence Levitt

Lawrence Levitt New Member

Hi all i was working for uber in the Greenville SC market and did 47 completed trips of which only 30 was rated and just 17 at the 5 stars and my rating dropped to 4.1 so my account got deactivated and was told i need to take a class that will cost money i can't afford just because someone rated me poorly i am a very good driver and the system is unfair i think a better way must be set up in place of the rating system uber now uses and if a rider has a problem with a driver it can be handled by uber and the partner so he can learn from his mistake and because a better driver.

2. SD_Expedition

SD_Expedition Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    They did you a favor.

3. Lawrence Levitt

Lawrence Levitt New Member

What favor they took away my only lively hood some of the riders don't understand how the rating system works if they did would only rate a driver if to give 5 stars or if not satisfied with the ride give no rating that would be better since i know if you don't have something nice to say them say nothing at all.

4. Archie8616

Archie8616 Active Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Can you share the email that they sent you? Would like to see it.

MoneyUber4 likes this.
  5. UberBlackPr1nce

UberBlackPr1nce Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    You won't be the last.....

6. Coachman

Coachman Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    If you have a 4.1 for 30 rated trips with 17 5 star trips then that means your average rating for the remaining 13 rated trips was 2.9. That's abysmal. That can't be just bad luck.

I'm surprised they even offered you the class.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  7. X-X_Driver

X-X_Driver Member

Hi. I saw your original post last night. I truly am sad that this happened to you. The majority of people posting on here are very sincere. Most of us are very frustrated at one issue or another because most of us started out motivated and even excited to be doing this - for whatever our personal reasons. You will run into some sarcasm here - mostly because of the built up frustrations, feelings of helplessness, and the great disappointment that Uber has caused for most of us - and seems to keep doing over and over again. So - don't take any critical comments too personal.

That said, I do have a pretty good sense of what you are feeling and going through. A friend of mine (also an Uber X driver) had a similar experience and I want to relate the highlight (low lights) of his cirumstances, just so you can know what's coming and make the best decisions for you. I'm not here to tell you what to do.

We're all aware that the rating system stinks and is totally out of whack for a lot of reasons. There was a rather significant discussion about it a few weeks ago - which you can find here:

https://uberpeople.net/threads/5-st...rs-have-7x-more-votes-than-good-riders.49330/

Here's a summary of my friend's experience. Started out - all 5's with one 3 for first three nights out. Then worked a few late nights and got some 3's & 4's from the bar crowd. Overall rating was something like 4.7. Then my friend picked up a very intoxicated person who asked to be taken to the hospital. Trying to be a nice guy and a good driver - they took the ride and the pax made a terrible mess - urine and some fecal matter. Apologized profusely at the hospital. Friend reported it to Uber. Basically had to shut down for the night. He was parked outside the hospital trying to do a basic clean up and was approached by an off duty-nurse and her boyfriend. They asked for a ride because boyfriends car wouldn't start. Friend told them of the problem They assured him they didn't mind as it was 12:30 AM and needed to get home and come back in the morning for boyfriend's car. In hindsight, friend should never have agreed to that. Rookie mistake. End result - both the intoxicated passenger AND the nurses or her boyfriend gave 1* ratings (for different reasons I assume). Friends rating plummeted to something like 4.24 because he had so few rides.

Friend wrote to Uber support - also rookie mistake - and received probably a canned reply telling him not to worry about a couple low ratings- that he was doing a great job, they understood his sample size was low and to keep on driving and to keep up the good work. Two days later, as he was signing on to go drive - he got the deactivation message. Out of 27 rated rides, He was at a 4.29 (and climbing) but because he dropped below 4.3 at ride # 25. he was deactivated but could take a class and all would be OK.

Friend paid $100.00 to take the class and said he had a great person sit and give this canned presentation and felt it was worth the money to get a second chance (despite the cost) since he knew where there problem came in and knew he wouldn't allow that to happen again.

So he was reactivated. Now for the messed up part. Uber did NOT reset his rating. They told him that he had the next 50 rated rides to bring his 4.29 rating up to a 4.6. If he could do that - all would be good. If not - he would be permanently deactivated with No Recourse. He called me screaming and crying.

We sat down and did the math. Out of the next 50 rides he would have to have at minimum 40 5* ratings with allowance for about 10 4*'s and 3"s mixed in. That's tough to do simply because of the various factors that cause Uber pax to rate rather randomly most of the time.

My friend is still active with Uber (now having second thoughts since the rate cuts) but he can no longer risk doing late night runs during surge times because the risk of low ratings increases. I keep advising him to personally go to the local office to discuss this nearly impossible situation and so far he hasn't done so. I hope that he will soon as he really is a pretty good guy and has a lot of 5* comments from riders.

At the moment he's taking what he considers "safe runs" from the airport mostly but he's not yet reached his 50 runs yet and well.. it's now become a question of whether to "go out in a blaze of surge glory" (perhaps impossible now with rate cuts) or to try to carefully choose more mature pax who are more likely to appreciate service and rate higher (hopefully).

I'm feeling bad for him. Tried to do a couple nice deeds and got hit hard - still may be deactivated and he was one of the most excited people Uber ever had on their team when he started.

Again, not telling you what to do. I can't. The course apparently is easy and something like 2 hours long - but the main point is - you need to do some serious math and planning to get out of the hole in the 50 rated ride period they will most likely give you too. It would have been really helpful for my friend to have had guidance and some warnings before the deactivation at ride # 25 and to also know he wasn't going to truly get a "fair" second chance after the class.

Also - here is what I consider an excellent video from YouTube that really demonstrates and explains the dynamics of the rating system. It's worth a few views by most everyone:

Sorry this was so lengthy. Hope it gives you some things to think about. You can do this but there needs to be strategy, time, planning, and patience involved.

Best of luck to you

8. Matt Uterak

Matt Uterak Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    If your ratings are that bad you need to really evaluate the experience you are giving.

I am either silent or have a nice chat with the Pax. Over the last 101 trips I am at a 4.95 and total over all rides in the calc of 4.89.

If the person seems chatty, pick up on something they like. A good one, even though I dislike sports, is to mention their team if they are wearing a jersey or hat or t shirt of some kind. I drive in a city with a team. Know the main players and maybe look at scores before heading out.

9. garrobitoalado

garrobitoalado Member

Driving:
    UberX
    ..a friend of mine got deactivated at 4,55 with just 5o trip, 29 rating, 23 five star so.. for 6 4 star guy was offer to do the course, he say no way, not enough money, they kick his sorry ass out the system.. if he want to back, he need to take the course and keep highs for a while... no way...

10. SanPedroLover

SanPedroLover Well-Known Member

Perhaps I can offer you a class on proper English grammar?

11. dnlbaboof

dnlbaboof Well-Known Member

are you a smoker, thatll cost you if the car smells like smoke, vacuum your car every week and offer a phone charger(its good to have one anyways for emergencies)

12. volksie

volksie Well-Known Member

"JUST SAY NO TO DRUNKS" when you get reinstated! Your Score Will Soar!

13. Emp9

Emp9 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Rating system stinks but something your doing wrong. Car smell not clean. you smell. Bad knowledge of city you drive in. Music too loud. Type of car. You have to figure out what it is. No offense to OP but pax sometimes expect you to entertain them. Also many think they are good drivers but driving with a pax is different you have to drive more smoothly. Ask if they are comfortable with heat music so on.

14. BiggestScamInHistory

BiggestScamInHistory Member

I can't believe the class is $100. It was $50 before, & already extortion thanks to their impossible rating system that allows customers to not worry about tipping and not getting slack for it, or a free pass to be total a-holes.

If you're willing to just give Uber $100 after all the s**t they do with X and Select drivers already (all this BS is only worth it driving Black or SUV ) then I'm sorry but you deserve this. You really are completely ignorant.

Doing the same job an already s**t-on worker like a cabbie does for a FRACTION of the same plus NO TIPS for God knows what reason, yes, people need to realize how ignorant and naive they were to allow Uber to completely steal and f**k the transportation businesses up.

I DO however feel sorry for anyone that bought a late model car out of their means for either of these companies. At least cabbies can throw their car keys back at a dispatchers or managers face. With Uber, you can't even throw a phone (as the original UberBlack drivers who first put up wuth their BS did) because they're too cheap to offer them anymore. Again, waste your own phones life and data to just get reamed by them and a cheapskate passenger every time.

uberdavid and iaguy50021 like this.
  15. BiggestScamInHistory

BiggestScamInHistory Member

This guy is total kiss a** Uber shill.

They called a car and a driver, not a babysitter, best friend, bartender, comedian, talk show radio host.

And ALL without a tip, while a server throwing plates on a table sees CASH for appreciation for their seconds of interaction with customers.

Bottom line is, if the riders don't like anything whatsoever about you, you're getting a bad rating. Hair style, no hair, too skinny, too fat, wearing shorts or dressing too formally, it's a losing game when a 92% is a fail and they're putting their hands in your pockets for another $100.

Bunch of f**kin scumbag vultures. Classic case of vulture capitalism, with the public again too ignorant and stupid to realize what's going.

Uber; A taxi service BY a**holes, FOR a**holes.

(Look at the real name of your app on your phone, it's ubercab.something....)

16. Matt Uterak

Matt Uterak Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Not a shill at all. I stopped driving recently after a Pax accused me of being under the influence while driving him. I will reevaluate in the next month or so, I will still get my one ride in every 30 days.

But clearly someone who falls in the bottom bracket of ratings is doing something wrong. Like I said before on this board, I rarely wash the outside of my car, haven't vaccumed in weeks, I'm ugly and smelly, my car is full of dents and is one year from being off platform, I still maintain a high 4.8x rating.

4.1 means something is wrong. It would be nice of Uber to provide specific feedback or require the rider to do so if the rating is below a 5. It ain't going to happen because the company is predatory by nature. They want free labor and market saturation.

I am fortunate that this is not my primary income.

yeahTHATuberGVL likes this.
  17. Alexander

Alexander Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Not to be that guy...but according to my math, your friend needed at least 38 five-star rides, not 40, to meet the 4.6 mark within the next 50 rides.

18. X-X_Driver

X-X_Driver Member

I came up with the same number (38) when I did the math for him - but I suggested that he leave a "fudge factor" in there and shoot for at least 40. He's the kind of person, that knowing he is under pressure to get the high ratings, he's more likely to make small mistakes (talk too much, miss a turn) etc. and end up with a couple low numbers. :). That's the whole "trap", if you will. You can't predict what the riders are going to respond to. It's a tough position to be in. I've felt really bad for him - especially knowing him as well as I do. He's still slowing working it up so we'll see. Thanks for the post.

ClevelandUberRider likes this.
  19. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider Well-Known Member

I didn't do the math. But just curious, maybe the differential lies in how many 4s and 3s you put into your computations?

20. X-X_Driver

X-X_Driver Member

Hi. It absolutely does. I did the math - about 4 different ways. If he would happen to get unlucky - 5 3*'s is all it would take to deactivate. We based the 40 on 10 4*'s or 7 4*'s and 3 3*'s I believe. (Tried t0 be realistic with the "fudge factor".) It's been a month since this all started. Don't remember exact combinations but there is very little room for any rating issues - and honestly - I don't think that he's driven at all since the rate changes so it may be a moot point in his case but it's truly an unfair and unethical "trap" (for the lack of a better word) and it has very steep walls to climb out of. I've recommended he cut his losses and just drop it. His plan was to go slow and only take airport runs - a few at a time and to watch the ratings carefully. I'll have to check in with him and see what he's been doing. I mainly shared that story to help the OP think carefully about his similar dilemma.

ClevelandUberRider likes this.