I almost never get tips...

chideordie

I have a 4.77 rating on thousands of trips since I started in May 2014. I know the streets well, treat people with respect, and generally do a good job.

But, I almost NEVER get tips from riders. I know not to expect tips, but it still bothers me. People love to SAY thank you, but they rarely SHOW it. Occasionally I'll get a $2 or $5 tip, but it's rare.

Tips aren't necessary all the time, but I think riders should be asked to tip on non-surge fares....

Oh My

I have a 4.77 rating on thousands of trips since I started in May 2014. I know the streets well, treat people with respect, and generally do a good job.

But, I almost NEVER get tips from riders. I know not to expect tips, but it still bothers me. People love to SAY thank you, but they rarely SHOW it. Occasionally I'll get a $2 or $5 tip, but it's rare.

Tips aren't necessary all the time, but I think riders should be asked to tip on non-surge fares....
Not gonna happen. I just learned I'm not going beyond the call of duty for these people as they're not tipping anyway. I'm not their entertainer or butler. Hello, confirm destination, and usually a Thank You (if deserved) and that was it. It was easier that way anyway. If I felt like talking I would but prefer everyone just shut up and enjoy the ride.

The_Nerd

Tipping doesn't happen in Chicago or the major cities. People pretty much buy the story line from Uber that tipping is included, or they think the percentage they set when they set up there App for 20 percent for Uber taxi is for us.. If you talk to people about tipping, they almost always are surprised, and thought the tip was included. You can join the army of drivers who are reading passengers 4 or lower unless they tip. That's what I've adopted, unless the passengers were very entertaining or we discussed tips and they didn't know, then I'll still give them a 5 if they were good passengers. Otherwise, I don't know what recourse we have.

Oh My

Tipping doesn't happen in Chicago or the major cities. People pretty much buy the story line from Uber that tipping is included, or they think the percentage they set when they set up there App for 20 percent for Uber taxi is for us.. If you talk to people about tipping, they almost always are surprised, and thought the tip was included. You can join the army of drivers who are reading passengers 4 or lower unless they tip. That's what I've adopted, unless the passengers were very entertaining or we discussed tips and they didn't know, then I'll still give them a 5 if they were good passengers. Otherwise, I don't know what recourse we have.
I heard the line over and over about how when they set up their account profile and selected a pre-set tip amount they didn't know it only applied to UberTaxi. After a year of hearing this I determined it's bullshit. They know they're not tipping the UberX driver, they see what they're being billed at the end of the ride and none of them use UberTaxi anyway.

Last edited:
Tip or no tip, the rate structure at UberX only works if you pull trips while you happen to be out for some other reason. The only thing UberX is concerned with is replacing drivers faster than they quit. As long as they can do that expect nothing but boilerplate about how concerned they are about drivers or the public. It's a holding action until the advent of the self driving car. I understand that this past week Kalanick offered Elon Musk at Tesla an order for thousands of electric self drivers when they're suitable for ride share service. Musk may be considering doing it himself through Tesla which would probably hurt Travis' feelings.

Oh My

Tip or no tip, the rate structure at UberX only works if you pull trips while you happen to be out for some other reason. The only thing UberX is concerned with is replacing drivers faster than they quit. As long as they can do that expect nothing but boilerplate about how concerned they are about drivers or the public. It's a holding action until the advent of the self driving car. I understand that this past week Kalanick offered Elon Musk at Tesla an order for thousands of electric self drivers when they're suitable for ride share service. Musk may be considering doing it himself through Tesla which would probably hurt Travis' feelings.
Wait til one of the riders in one of these "driverless cars" sits in a puddle of puke or love juice, gets ridiculed when she walks in the craft beer bar with a Fiber One bar wrapper plastered on her booty or complains that the Tesla wasn't the color she antcipated like in the picture. And who's going to return her phone immediately that she left behind? The Invisible Man?

Xcbigtymer31

Yesterday I received my first tip in over 30 rides. It was $4. They fare was a sizzling 3.71. Go figure... To add, the guy was on his way to a minimum wage job. I felt bad taking it but he insisted. I wish there were more people out there like him. Btw may rating is a 4.88 so far.

renbutler

In about 100 trips, I've had 9 tips totalling $72, so it's pretty close to the 10% tip rate others have mentioned on the board. Oddly, it seems like first-timers always want to tip me, and I "educate" them that tipping is completely optional with Uber, but they insist anyway (and I accept with the sincerest of gratitude).

BTW, my smallest tip was $2.

The largest was $20, which a guy slipped into the cup holder and I didn't see it until I was almost home. He was a super-nice guy from a wealthy area who was very interested in my personal story.

Brady

I drive in Chicago and Grand Rapids. In Grand Rapids, roughly 25% of riders tip. In Chicago, it's maybe 1 in 10 at best. I've noticed wide cultural differences between the two cities. Grand Rapids riders treat Uber as ride-sharing, usually sitting in the front and carrying on a conversation with drivers. Chicago riders treat Uber as a taxi alternative, much more likely to sit in back and far less conversational unless they've been drinking.

renbutler

I drive in Chicago and Grand Rapids. In Grand Rapids, roughly 25% of riders tip. In Chicago, it's maybe 1 in 10 at best. I've noticed wide cultural differences between the two cities. Grand Rapids riders treat Uber as ride-sharing, usually sitting in the front and carrying on a conversation with drivers. Chicago riders treat Uber as a taxi alternative, much more likely to sit in back and far less conversational unless they've been drinking.
Chicago is an island of "east coast-ness" in the otherwise friendly Midwest.

Lots of great attractions to visit in Chicago, but I would never live there.

Wait til one of the riders in one of these "driverless cars" sits in a puddle of puke or love juice, gets ridiculed when she walks in the craft beer bar with a Fiber One bar wrapper plastered on her booty or complains that the Tesla wasn't the color she anticipated like in the picture. And who's going to return her phone immediately that she left behind? The Invisible Man?
Everything you describe could very well happen although I think video cameras will be able to monitor interior cleanliness and lost items. The amount of problems will be more than offset by the savings and safety benefits of driverless operation. All the more reason to have personel transition requirements so that enterprises that realize operating efficiencies don't pass off the social costs on the rest of society.

chideordie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yup People in Chicago don't tip, Surprisingly when i end up driving in the suburbs some people tip.
I know people in Chicago don't tip. I know not to expect one. But it still bothers me, especially after a non-surge trip, where I'm running my A/C, and sitting in bullshit traffic. Guess I need to find a new job....

Oh My

Chicago is an island of "east coast-ness" in the otherwise friendly Midwest.

Lots of great attractions to visit in Chicago, but I would never live there.
The odd thing is it's a Disneyland for service workers. I was surprised when I moved here a decade ago that many made a very decent living on bartending, serving tables, hotel industry, etc. Not the case for rideshare drivers though.

Many also think it's a "friendly Mid West major city". I've encountered some of the rudest, nastiest people on the street, in stores, as neighbors, on the road and in my former professional field in Chicago that I never knew existed.

Oh My

Everything you describe could very well happen although I think video cameras will be able to monitor interior cleanliness and lost items. The amount of problems will be more than offset by the savings and safety benefits of driverless operation. All the more reason to have personel transition requirements so that enterprises that realize operating efficiencies don't pass off the social costs on the rest of society.
So they push a button and the car returns to the depot whenever someone leaves their empty Big Gulp or Starbucks cups in the cup holders? A mechanical arm drops from the ceiling to retrieve garbage or wipe a seat?

LEAFdriver

I "educate" them that tipping is completely optional with Uber
STOP IT. Just STOP IT. When you go to a sit down restaurant and you are pulling out some money to tip your server....do they come by and try to talk you OUT of tipping them? No? Really? Why not?

I am actively 'educating' pax that tips should NOT BE "OPTIONAL" at the rates they pay in our area. (.90 cents a mile...or .72 cents a mile after Uber's cut). It is UNCONSCIONABLE for them to not offer AT LEAST .50-$1 TIP PER RIDE!!

UNCONSCIONABLE!!

adjective
not guided by conscience; unscrupulous.
not in accordance with what is just or reasonable:
unconscionable behavior.

renbutler

STOP IT. Just STOP IT. When you go to a sit down restaurant and you are pulling out some money to tip your server....do they come by and try to talk you OUT of tipping them? No? Really? Why not?

I am actively 'educating' pax that tips should NOT BE "OPTIONAL" at the rates they pay in our area. (.90 cents a mile...or .72 cents a mile after Uber's cut). It is UNCONSCIONABLE for them to not offer AT LEAST .50-$1 TIP PER RIDE!!

UNCONSCIONABLE!!

adjective
not guided by conscience; unscrupulous.
not in accordance with what is just or reasonable:
unconscionable behavior.
Chill the hell out.

All three times I said it was technically optional, I got a tip anyway. What I do here has absolutely NO effect on you.

The restaurant analogy was just plain ridiculous. I have never once tried to talk riders out of tipping. Because it's optional, just like in a restaurant.

BTW, I know what unconscionable means, as I majored in English and I am a freelance writer. What's unconscionable is that you would talk to people this way.

Oh My

Chill the hell out.

All three times I said it was technically optional, I got a tip anyway. What I do here has absolutely NO effect on you.

The restaurant analogy was just plain ridiculous. I have never once tried to talk riders out of tipping. Because it's optional, just like in a restaurant.

BTW, I know what unconscionable means, as I majored in English and I am a freelance writer. What's unconscionable is that you would talk to people this way.
.....or the way some riders talk (or bark) to the drivers.