Uber Drivers Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts
Maybe.
But neither does AB5.
Vote YES on prop. 22. The lesser of evils.
Freedom as a contractor, (prop. 22) or part time, minimum wage employment, (AB5.)
Dream on son.

They didn't even bother saying they were gonna keep shit like it was to lie a little better.

Uber works because it's cheap and it's quick.
From Morton's to McDonald's, that was the goal... them burgers make more money, they also make everyone's lives a bit more miserable

IC claim is an absolute lie to escape paying payroll taxes and force slavery wages. Uber cannot hide behind this cover anymore. What stops Uber from offering the freedom, flexibility, destination info, price, surge multiplier and drive pass?
In the 70s, I drove for Red & White Cab Co. in Hollywood as W-2. We had to work shifts. But, that's true for all cab companies, UNLESS you are an owner operator, or a 24/7 leasee, but W2 wasn't allowed for those.

In the 70s, I drove for Red & White Cab Co. in Hollywood as W-2. We had to work shifts. But, that's true for all cab companies, UNLESS you are an owner operator, or a 24/7 leasee, but W2 wasn't allowed for those.
For your information i do know how cab companies, owner operators and W2 drivers work. That has nothing to do with my IC question. Again, what stops Uber from offering the same freedom, flexibility, destination info, price, surge multiplier and drive pass to its IC drivers?

For your information i do know how cab companies, owner operators and W2 drivers work. That has nothing to do with my IC question. Again, what stops Uber from offering the same freedom, flexibility, destination info, price, surge multiplier and drive pass to its IC drivers?
If they pay by the hour as employee, they are not going to let you turn away trips, and are more likely to dictate where you will drive, and you will probably be assigned a shift. See, they have now a payroll department, and shifts keeps it from getting chaotic. And, if they pay you by the hour, they are not going to assign you near your house ( where they would be paying you to sit at home ). See what I mean? They will, however, pay you a mileage, but it will probably be only for paid miles, and not dead miles. Another thing, the won't be 'offering' you a trip, you'll just be assigned one.

Uber has already said they won't give you any of that if they make drivers employees, here's a post straight from the app, notice that the earn as much as you want is not checked under employee, you will get an hourly wage and that's it

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number

Yes i see what you mean. You are trying to inject Soviet Union style scare tactics instead of answering my question: What stops Uber from offering the same flexibility, destination info, surge multiplier and drive pass?.
Nothing stops them from retaining these features.
However, as an employee, these features are moot. You accept every task or are fired for cause.

Nothing stops them from retaining these features.
However, as an employee, these features are moot. You accept every task or are fired for cause.
It's mind boggling how delusional the minimum wage cheerleaders are. They all believe that as an employee they get to clock in when they want, work where they want, drive who they want and double or triple dip on the minimum wage wagon working multiple apps at once!

And that is assuming they get hired on in the first place!

lol no upper end on what you earn, that is funny as hell because in order to earn that much, events must happen (which are rare) or you must game the system which eventually gets you kicked out, lol, just look at your car's cost vs what you earn... the average is 11 bucks an hour minus your costs, so hacking or exploiting the system gets you 30 bucks an hour in most places... minus cost... okay you made some money, youll be out of uber soon because they keep an eye on money makers and will shut you down as soon as you make more than the standard, point being: most people make shit so being employees gives them an actual boost or something in return, including repairs which uber often calls wear and tear while refusing to pay, this does not exist as an employee, anything happens to your car and uber has to pay or you sue them, you no longer have to deal with the rider, just uber and we all know how uber loves to give away money.

Very few people understand that once Uber is an employer, they are basically renting your car, you no longer have to run with the cost.

lol no upper end on what you earn, that is funny as hell because in order to earn that much, events must happen (which are rare) or you must game the system which eventually gets you kicked out, lol, just look at your car's cost vs what you earn... the average is 11 bucks an hour minus your costs, so hacking or exploiting the system gets you 30 bucks an hour in most places... minus cost... okay you made some money, youll be out of uber soon because they keep an eye on money makers and will shut you down as soon as you make more than the standard, point being: most people make shit so being employees gives them an actual boost or something in return, including repairs which uber often calls wear and tear while refusing to pay, this does not exist as an employee, anything happens to your car and uber has to pay or you sue them, you no longer have to deal with the rider, just uber and we all know how uber loves to give away money.

Very few people understand that once Uber is an employer, they are basically renting your car, you no longer have to run with the cost.
$11 an hour average? You shouldn't be driving for that, without hacking or exploits or gaming the system or whatever else I make $30 an hour, and the events I can make $100+ an hour that are about every three days here pre-covid. Do yourself a favor and find something else, one thing Uber needs to stop doing is setting up in the boonies. There's a reason there aren't any cabs there, and Uber shouldn't be doing it either. They should raise the rates and cap the drivers there so it's not so crappy that you get $11 an hour. You should move to where a real market is, whatever that area is, it's a joke for rideshare

Yes i see what you mean. You are trying to inject Soviet Union style scare tactics instead of answering my question: What stops Uber from offering the same flexibility, destination info, surge multiplier and drive pass?.
why should they? The ONLY reason they do is to create an incentive to attract drivers, and they have to do that beause they pay so cheap their turnover is high so they always need drivers ( the dynamic will change 180 degrees if W-2 ) and so they can avoid all the hassle of the extra book work, and associated higher costs of administering W-2 employees, it's not like they have a lot of competition that they need incentives to find drivers. Jobs with hourly wages always get more applications than commission jobs.

Soviet Union? Have you ever lived in the Soviet Union?

I didn't think so.

But, maybe you're right, maybe they'll offer those things.
I've been a W-2 for two different cab companies, in the 70s and one was 10 hour shift, with an hour break, the other was a 9 hour shift, with an half hour break. I had to be on the road at all times (during my shift ), and had to book X dollars, average, every day, or be fired. Book, was $55 bucks. If I didn't average it, I was fired, this was in 1977. See, I was allowed to turn down trips, but I didn't for fear of not making book. We had worker's comp, but we didn't have health insurance. If we didn't make book, we could switch to leasing, and then they didn't care what we booked. I eventually did that, and I found I made more. Paying by the hour takes all the fun out of it, really. But a cabbie can work the street, an Uber can't do that. I really have no idea what will happen. I have my doubts.

they will probably have some kind of bonuses,for productivity, but I doubt it will be that much. Uber thinks drivers get stoked over pocket change. It isn't now like it was when I started in 2013, when I did $500 every saturday night, and the surges were insane.

I've thinking about this. They'll have no choice but to raise rates to about what taxis are charging.

That means the customer base will shrink.

that means not everyone who has access to the platform will have it, there will be 'lay offs' or whatever the equivalent of that is.

Most drivers will have to work full time, and there won't be as many drivers available to drive, as I think most drivers are part time.

I don't think they are going to pay by the hour, though, in fact, they might pay commission with a $14 per hour gaurantee, that's my guess.

They will take taxes out, and you'll get a check sans taxes, which you will get refund at the end of the fiscal year.

The ONE big benefit is if they fire you, you can collect unemployment, but since it's not that much, it's not that big a deal.

They WILL have to pay you mileage for your car, (cab companies did not pay owner/operaters a mileage fee, but their rates were a lot higher ) but my guess it will only be for miles when a passenger is in the car, which is maybe 50% of the total miles you drive, maybe more. I don't know. That's about what paid miles were when I as a cab driver, but cabbies did a lot cruising for hail/pick ups. As an Uber you won't be doing that. so the paid mile ratio should be improved.

If this results in a much greater loss for Uber, they just might pull out, as they have threatened. They haven't committed to doing that yet, because they don't know how much they are going to make, or not make. But I think they will, for one big reason:

To send a message to other states who might be getting a similar idea.

why should they? The ONLY reason they do is to create an incentive to attract drivers, and they have to do that beause they pay so cheap their turnover is high so they always need drivers ( the dynamic will change 180 degrees if W-2 ) and so they can avoid all the hassle of the extra book work, and associated higher costs of administering W-2 employees, it's not like they have a lot of competition that they need incentives to find drivers. Jobs with hourly wages always get more applications than commission jobs.

Soviet Union? Have you ever lived in the Soviet Union?

I didn't think so.

But, maybe you're right, maybe they'll offer those things.
I've been a W-2 for two different cab companies, in the 70s and one was 10 hour shift, with an hour break, the other was a 9 hour shift, with an half hour break. I had to be on the road at all times (during my shift ), and had to book X dollars, average, every day, or be fired. Book, was $55 bucks. If I didn't average it, I was fired, this was in 1977. See, I was allowed to turn down trips, but I didn't for fear of not making book. We had worker's comp, but we didn't have health insurance. If we didn't make book, we could switch to leasing, and then they didn't care what we booked. I eventually did that, and I found I made more. Paying by the hour takes all the fun out of it, really. But a cabbie can work the street, an Uber can't do that. I really have no idea what will happen. I have my doubts.

they will probably have some kind of bonuses,for productivity, but I doubt it will be that much. Uber thinks drivers get stoked over pocket change. It isn't now like it was when I started in 2013, when I did $500 every saturday night, and the surges were insane.

I've thinking about this. They'll have no choice but to raise rates to about what taxis are charging.

That means the customer base will shrink.

that means not everyone who has access to the platform will have it, there will be 'lay offs' or whatever the equivalent of that is.

Most drivers will have to work full time, and there won't be as many drivers available to drive, as I think most drivers are part time.

I don't think they are going to pay by the hour, though, in fact, they might pay commission with a $14 per hour gaurantee, that's my guess.

They will take taxes out, and you'll get a check sans taxes, which you will get refund at the end of the fiscal year.

The ONE big benefit is if they fire you, you can collect unemployment, but since it's not that much, it's not that big a deal.

They WILL have to pay you mileage for your car, (cab companies did not pay owner/operaters a mileage fee, but their rates were a lot higher ) but my guess it will only be for miles when a passenger is in the car, which is maybe 50% of the total miles you drive, maybe more. I don't know. That's about what paid miles were when I as a cab driver, but cabbies did a lot cruising for hail/pick ups. As an Uber you won't be doing that. so the paid mile ratio should be improved.

If this results in a much greater loss for Uber, they just might pull out, as they have threatened. They haven't committed to doing that yet, because they don't know how much they are going to make, or not make. But I think they will, for one big reason:

To send a message to other states who might be getting a similar idea.
The problem with sending a message to other states is California is Ubers largest market. It's like Uber putting a gun to its head and pulling the trigger and expecting other states to worry about what it's going to do next. Simply not happening. The market is still in California and someone else just moves in and services that market.

This is nonsense. The vast majority of UBer drivers are part time, and are attracted to the gig economy because of the freedom it allows, they can work the shifts around there specific needs, like when they have to pick up a kid from school, attend conferences, this that and the other. The attraction of the gig job, the 'side hustle' is a trade for the benefits of a wage job, which is usually afforded on another job that they hold.

Vote YES on 22. We don't need 'employee benefits' when the 'why' of our doing a side hustle is the beauty of no bosses, schedules, or someone dictating which trip we have to take, or where we have to work. With a gig job, we have those freedoms. It's a trade we are willing to make.

You want to help gig drivers? Let us KEEP our IC status, and give us a union so we can collectively bargain for higher per mile and per minute rates. If the politicians want to better our lives, give us a union.
vote no...no....no...on prop 22...if you want to be a part time freelancer vote no.....there are two classiifications...employee or IC....drivers are neither....AB5 forces their hand to make you a true IC.....they will never make you employess...they will buckle and give in....

$11 an hour average? You shouldn't be driving for that, without hacking or exploits or gaming the system or whatever else I make $30 an hour, and the events I can make $100+ an hour that are about every three days here pre-covid. Do yourself a favor and find something else, one thing Uber needs to stop doing is setting up in the boonies. There's a reason there aren't any cabs there, and Uber shouldn't be doing it either. They should raise the rates and cap the drivers there so it's not so crappy that you get $11 an hour. You should move to where a real market is, whatever that area is, it's a joke for rideshare
11 bucks an hour is a national average, not what they pay you, this was studied a while back.

So yeah, no one should be doing Uber, you are absolutely right.

vote no...no....no...on prop 22...if you want to be a part time freelancer vote no.....there are two classiifications...employee or IC....drivers are neither....AB5 forces their hand to make you a true IC.....they will never make you employess...they will buckle and give in....
You don't know that.

The problem with sending a message to other states is California is Ubers largest market. It's like Uber putting a gun to its head and pulling the trigger and expecting other states to worry about what it's going to do next. Simply not happening. The market is still in California and someone else just moves in and services that market.
Granted, it's a large market, but Uber is world wide. It's not as big as you might think, they can certainly live without CA.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.