• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Hypothetical: Would you 1* a wheelchair-bound pax whose every trip is less than two blocks

rkozy

I've driven this girl multiple times who is wheelchair bound and lives at an apartment complex 800 feet from a Wal-Mart. Every time she orders a ride, it is to/from Wal-Mart and she requires a fair amount of assistance getting in and out of the vehicle. She has appeared as both a Lyft and Uber passenger.

It takes ten minutes to get her from door to door, even though her apartment building is about two football fields from the store entrance. The minimum fare in my market is $2.01, and that's what I get every time. The distance is basically nothing, and the time doesn't add up to much despite how slow this process goes. She will never tip, and I'm very courteous about folding up her wheelchair, grabbing her bags of groceries, holding the door for her, etc.

While I've toyed with the idea of one-starring her, my compassionate side says to keep accepting her rides. Yesterday, I drove 12 minutes through rush-hour traffic just to pick her up for the usual $2.01 and no tip. I expended roughly a half-hour, during a time when a few surge fares were available.

Does this make me a horrible person that I've considered one-starring her? Does this make me a poor businessman that I haven't already? Thoughts. Comments. Also, is Uber/Lyft telling their disabled pax that we are supposed to help them? I didn't sign up to do what is the rough equivalent of a medical transport.

rkozy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's your good deed for the day.
My good deed for the day -- every day -- is grinding my car into the ground for mere pennies so Dara can replace me with a computer module that will accept every ping it gets.

I don't mind helping people. I just don't feel that this passenger is showing much gratitude. If there was an occasional tip, or even a heartfelt thank-you...I'd probably see things differently. This pax almost expects it's our duty to be an aide.

Coachman

I'm curious how you're driving that you would get the same rider over and over. I've had a handful of repeat riders. I've had a number of people twice. I think I got one guy three times over the course of about two years. But that's very rare.

rkozy

I'm curious how you're driving that you would get the same rider over and over. I've had a handful of repeat riders. I've had a number of people twice. I think I got one guy three times over the course of about two years. But that's very rare.
I live in a small town where repeat passengers are the norm. Many times, the same passenger will end up in my car multiple times throughout a week.

I've had some people in my car five and six times already. I've only been driving since last November...and I only drive 15-20 hours per week.

sellkatsell44

I've driven this girl multiple times who is wheelchair bound and lives at an apartment complex 800 feet from a Wal-Mart. Every time she orders a ride, it is to/from Wal-Mart and she requires a fair amount of assistance getting in and out of the vehicle. She has appeared as both a Lyft and Uber passenger.

It takes ten minutes to get her from door to door, even though her apartment building is about two football fields from the store entrance. The minimum fare in my market is $2.01, and that's what I get every time. The distance is basically nothing, and the time doesn't add up to much despite how slow this process goes. She will never tip, and I'm very courteous about folding up her wheelchair, grabbing her bags of groceries, holding the door for her, etc.

While I've toyed with the idea of one-starring her, my compassionate side says to keep accepting her rides. Yesterday, I drove 12 minutes through rush-hour traffic just to pick her up for the usual $2.01 and no tip. I expended roughly a half-hour, during a time when a few surge fares were available.

Does this make me a horrible person that I've considered one-starring her? Does this make me a poor businessman that I haven't already? Thoughts. Comments. Also, is Uber/Lyft telling their disabled pax that we are supposed to help them? I didn't sign up to do what is the rough equivalent of a medical transport.
No.

You’re not a horrible person for one starring her. You would be if you didn’t simply based on the wheelchair.

And if I were you, next time you get the ping from her and you’re not on the same block—decline it.

If you happen to be in the area aka same block and you get her ping—accept it and go through the motions and hopefully she will tip you. If she doesn’t, one star her as you would any other rider.

MHR

Are you able to recognize her ping when it comes through?

I have one pax in my town that I will let the ping timeout because I simply refuse to take her. I can usually tell when it’s her. If I do accidentally accept I will use a cancel. BTW, this one’s not handicapped, just a foul mouthed, racist, piece of work who thinks Uber drivers are her personal errand boys.

I’m stingy with my cancels so I always have one available to use.

rkozy

You’re not a horrible person for one starring her. You would be if you didn’t simply based on the wheelchair.
The wheelchair is the least of the problems. If that's all it was in this equation, I'd be perfectly happy with her ride requests.

It's the fact I'm wasting a huge chunk of time on someone who doesn't have much appreciation for mine.
Post automatically merged:

On Lyft, yes. Her picture is ingrained into my memory, and I know her name...even though it's a very common female name.

On Uber, it's tougher. This Wal-Mart is a frequent stop for me. As I mentioned, her name is fairly common. This makes denying a ping impossible, because the rider name doesn't come through until you've accepted the request. I'd have to cancel, and I really don't like doing that because I save my cancels for real problems.

Also, the apartment complex she lives at is another frequent pick-up location. I've had dozens of different pax from her complex.

Last edited:

sellkatsell44

The wheelchair is the least of the problems. If that's all it was in this equation, I'd be perfectly happy with her ride requests.

It's the fact I'm wasting a huge chunk of time on someone who doesn't have much appreciation for mine.
I know. That’s why I said if that was the only reason.

Reading the paragraphs, all too much (her asks).

MHR

So treat her like you would an able bodied pax that acted this way towards you.

Look, as a mom of disabled twins, I’m trying to tell you it’s okay to treat her like any other pax. Everyone, regardless of circumstances, can show kindness and gratitude. As you stated, it could just be a smile or a word of thanks.

You’ve shown compassion, you’ve reached out, you’ve been of service. Move on.

Afterthought — have you told her about any delivery services that might be in your town?

Illini

I wouldn't 1-star her. If there's anything that you do not like about your experiences with taking her, decline the ride.
Either case (1-star or decline) would not make you a bad person in my eyes.

rkozy

You’ve shown compassion, you’ve reached out, you’ve been of service. Move on.
I doubt I'll one-star her, but I may decline any pings she sends me on Lyft...unless things are super slow. I don't mind helping her. It's just that this most recent incident underscored for me how irritating the entitlement mentality of certain pax can be.

I wouldn't 1-star her. If there's anything that you do not like about your experiences with taking her, decline the ride.
Either case (1-star or decline) would not make you a bad person in my eyes.
Interestingly enough, I first began picking her up on Uber. That was back in March. During our most recent conversation, she led me to believe she is no longer on Uber. I wonder if enough people one-starred her, forcing Uber to deactivate her rider account. She didn't say that, but she said something about how Uber drivers wouldn't take her.

The most recent encounter I had with her was on Lyft. Problem is, in my market, Lyft is a constant dead zone for those seeking rides. There are long stretches of the day where no driver can be located. I have a Lyft rider account, and can verify that to be the case. I just wonder how much longer she'll last on Lyft.

In my market, a good number of the drivers float between platforms. That's the only way your wheels can keep turning. If they one-starred her on Uber, they will one-star her on Lyft.

Last edited:
Reactions: MHR

MyJessicaLS430

Why 1🌟 ?

If you don't want to give her a ride, simply hit the "No thanks" button.

No one can say for sure for what will happen tomorrow. You don't need more than one CVA to become handicapped. This can happen anytime to anyone.

A little help makes our world a better place =)

Coachman

So treat her like you would an able bodied pax that acted this way towards you.
How is she acting? It sounds like she's acting perfectly normally. The OP's complaint seems to be that she's not grateful enough for the burden she's placing on him.

The OP claims that he drove 12 minutes to pick her up for a minimum fare ride. Why is he driving 12 minutes for a pick up when it's possibly surging? That's what I want to know.

Last edited:

rkozy

Why 1🌟 ?

If you don't want to give her a ride, simply hit the "No thanks" button.
A one-star would permanently unmatch me from this rider. The "no thanks" thing doesn't really work on Uber, because you have no idea what their name is and where they are precisely until you've already accepted the ride. That forces you to cancel, which is a more serious offense than rejecting a ping.

I'd rather not play games with this pax, which is why unmatching seems like the best option. But, I'm trying to sort out the various threads of this fabric before I decide to make any permanent decision.

OldBay

My good deed for the day -- every day -- is grinding my car into the ground for mere pennies so Dara can replace me with a computer module that will accept every ping it gets.

I don't mind helping people. I just don't feel that this passenger is showing much gratitude. If there was an occasional tip, or even a heartfelt thank-you...I'd probably see things differently. This pax almost expects it's our duty to be an aide.
You would think a handicapped person would be kind and considerate, but that is not the case here. She is a shitbag, should have given her a 1 the first time.

If she is going to get through life, she needs people to help her, and she needs to learn HOW to get people to help her. In this case tip.

You are enabling her.

MHR

How is she acting? It sounds like she's acting perfectly normally. The OP seems to suggest that she's not grateful enough for the burden she's placing on him.
I understand what you’re getting at yet I don’t know how to clearly explain what I’m thinking or the point I’m trying to make.

In the end, OP is going to do what his conscience tells him he should do.

rkozy

The OP claims that he drove 12 minutes to pick her up for a minimum fare ride. Why is he driving 12 minutes for a pick up? That's more of an issue than this woman, IMO.
Because it popped into my Lyft queue right as I was dropping off another passenger on Lyft. I had no time to check the queue. My only option was too cancel the ride, because you auto-accept any ride on Lyft once you have dropped off your current passenger. It was a split-second scenario at an inopportune moment.

BTW, a 12-minute pickup in my market is fairly common due to the spread-out nature of the area. This isn't a densely-populated city where rides are only four to five minutes away. More than 50% of the time, your ping is at least 10 minutes away. If you keep rejecting pings, you'll be sitting awhile...because there's a limited number of riders.

You are enabling her.
If you listen to coachman, I should be cooking her meals and folding her laundry.

You are saying I'm way too nice.

R3drang3r

I have one pax in my town that I will let the ping timeout

I’m stingy with my cancels so I always have one available to use.
1 timeout. = 1 cancel
You're not saving anything by letting it Time out.