Hybrids

dryverjohn

There are a ton of non dealers that will replace bad cells in your Hybrid battery starting at $400 and up. You'll save that in gas costs your first month of driving a Hybrid. Most desirable Hybrid will be Toyota, Prius, Camry and the Hyundai Ionic, although I don't know anything about resale and reliability on the Hyundai. Toyota reliability and resale are legendary.

amazinghl

I'd advise to look up replacement hybrid battery cost BEFORE considering buying a used hybrid vehicle.

Old battery dies. If you don't want to replace it, don't buy a old used hybrid vehicle.

PlanoGuber

Yes... I drive a Ford CMax and I don't understand how the people with vehicles that get worse than 40mpg make any money at the current X rates.

Don't buy a C-Max before the 2015 model year... The transmissions on the 2013's had a 75% failure rate at 100k supposedly. 2014 was slightly better... but it was supposedly corrected for 2015. The resale is horrible on them, you should be able to get one for a song.

VictorD

Yes... I drive a Ford CMax and I don't understand how the people with vehicles that get worse than 40mpg make any money at the current X rates.

Don't buy a C-Max before the 2015 model year... The transmissions on the 2013's had a 75% failure rate at 100k supposedly. 2014 was slightly better... but it was supposedly corrected for 2015. The resale is horrible on them, you should be able to get one for a song.

I think they've been discontinued, no?

Iann

Whatever car your get make sure it actually qualifies to be on either Uber or Lyft.

LMAO! Someone here recently bought a new car and found out it doesn't qualify.
Do your homework!

UberLuxbod

A well maintained Prius will hit at least 400K miles. And at least a couple batteries.

For all those that watch Only Fools and Horses, most cars will reach 400k miles.

But they will be like Triggers Broom, 5 new heads and 3 new handles

UfeelMe?

For all those that watch Only Fools and Horses, most cars will reach 400k miles.

But they will be like Triggers Broom, 5 new heads and 3 new handles
Again, just the Nickle batteries, the engine and transmission will be fine as long as you change the fluids regularly. As is with most Toyotas. Ask any mechanic. But believe whatever you want to believe, I guess.

UberLuxbod

Again, just the Nickle batteries, the engine and transmission will be fine as long as you change the fluids regularly. As is with most Toyotas. Ask any mechanic. But believe whatever you want to believe, I guess.

I believe fact.

Not opinion

Currently in London there has been a spate of last generation Prius going on fire, so clearly they are not as reliable as some people think.

UfeelMe?

I believe fact.

Not opinion

Currently in London there has been a spate of last generation Prius going on fire, so clearly they are not as reliable as some people think.
I guess I was a tad vague, I apologize, I was specifically referring to the 2nd 3rd gen Prius and Toyotas in general but hybrids especially since they stress the engine a whole lot less, there are duds, of course, as is with any product. But yes Lithium batteries explode if not manufactured correctly, see Galaxy Note 7. London got a bad batch. Nice cherry picking, though.
Post automatically merged:

I believe fact.

Not opinion

Also I can't seem to find any reports on this "spate" of exploding London Priuses. Either Google is a bad search engine, or you're lying. So much for believing in facts. I think you're referring to the Toyota hybrid recall? Which Toyota addressed last year before anything like the lie you stated happened.

Last edited:

UberLuxbod

I guess I was a tad vague, I apologize, I was specifically referring to the 2nd 3rd gen Prius and Toyotas in general but hybrids especially since they stress the engine a whole lot less, there are duds, of course, as is with any product. But yes Lithium batteries explode if not manufactured correctly, see Galaxy Note 7. London got a bad batch. Nice cherry picking, though.
Post automatically merged:

Also I can't seem to find any reports on this "spate" of exploding London Priuses. Either Google is a bad search engine, or you're lying. So much for believing in facts. I think you're referring to the Toyota hybrid recall? Which Toyota addressed last year before anything like the lie you stated happened.

Did I say they were exploding?

No.

I said they were going on fire, an explosion is something completely different.

A bad batch?

These are all 2009 to 2016 models. No fires on earlier models or later models.

I haven't even touched on the other problems that affect the Prius.

Wether these problems affect the current shape Prius I don't know, though as the oldest is 3 years old it will likely take some time before reliability issues surface.

I should mention that in London not very many Prius are used by private motorists, the vast majority are used as Private Hire/Uber cars.