Hurricane Irma

Statia

So what's everyone's thoughts? This one looks like it's coming straight for us. I was here for Andrew and I live right on the other side of County Walk anyone who was here for Andrew knows that this area was flattened completely. Anxiety level just shot through the roof. Better get our Uber Speed boats ready.

Chevyman305

This can only mean that we are going to be getting a bunch of pings to the local Home Depot / Lowes.

I drove all morning long (6a to 12p) and only got 2 rides today :frown:

JimKE

At this point just take a deep breath and hope for the best. Being in the bullseye 5-6 days out is usually right where you want to be, 'cause it ain't going there.

Don't watch Weather Channel; they'll just make you crazy. I remember watching a few years ago when a hurricane was hitting the Gulf Coast of Florida. The Weather Channel was almost 100 miles away, doing a live broadcast from what they claimed was where the storm was. (Storm was in the Ft. Myers area and they were in Crystal River.) The reporter, hair and clothing being blown all over the place by horrific winds, told the cameraman to "pan left" to show the pounding surf -- meaning to turn the camera stage left. The cameraman panned to HIS left, which is stage right, and gave a beautiful 10-second LIVE shot of the wind machine blowing on the reporter. It was priceless.

JimKE

I am a native, been through a lot of hurricanes. Locals go to the NOAA website to get the straight scoop without the press hype. This is where all the "weather experts" get their info from too.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
Right. And Weather Underground's tropical weather section is also good. In particular, they post the computer models, which are very helpful. A lot of the discussion is between meteorologists and is too technical for me, but good site with no hype.

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane

Statia

Also Intellicast is what I hear cruise ships use. Max Mayfield is the go to guy he walked us to Andrew minute by minute by minute. I doubt anybody in a hard-hit area will be Ubering post storm. That is of course if it hits us. They say Andrew was a dry storm yet post storm my car was completely underwater and engine flooded. Like JC said Street will be flooded trees will be down and so forth.

Last edited:

uberboy48

Also Intellicast is what I hear cruise ships use. Max Mayfield is the go to guy he walked us to Andrew minute by minute by minute. I doubt anybody in a hard-hit area will be Ubering post storm. That is of course if it hits us. They say Andrew was a dry storm yet post storm my car was completely underwater and engine flooded. Like JC said Street will be flooded trees will be down and so forth.
Thinking about parking car in a parking garage in case it floods, did your car have issues after? I know if the car is reported having flood damage, uber will not allow the car under there platform

JimKE

Max was our go to guy for years, even after he retired from NHC. He lives across the street from a relative of ours and their son used to put up his shutters. So whenever Max put up his shutters, we put up ours. Maybe I should go drive by and see what he's doing!

Statia

Thinking about parking car in a parking garage in case it floods, did your car have issues after? I know if the car is reported having flood damage, uber will not allow the car under there platform
Yes the engine got flooded it was a total loss

JimKE

The places with parking garages got wise to that many years ago. You'll find security guards and signs saying they will tow your car.

uberboy48

Max was our go to guy for years, even after he retired from NHC. He lives across the street from a relative of ours and their son used to put up his shutters. So whenever Max put up his shutters, we put up ours. Maybe I should go drive by and see what he's doing!
Haha let us know

The places with parking garages got wise to that many years ago. You'll find security guards and signs saying they will tow your car.
Not if you pay no?

uberboy48

Yes the engine got flooded it was a total loss
Sorry you went through that, my old car got flooded to, water level was mid door, I drove it with my feet underwater getting it to higher ground, than had to walk back to my apartment, car had no issues after, but 1month later I got into an accident and it got totaled lol

I don't know. I guess it's worth a try. Let us know if you find one.
If they tow it @@@@ it at hopefully the tow place keeps it safe lol I have a lux car so I really don't want a flying roof tile or tree branch to damage it

Jc.

Sorry you went through that, my old car got flooded to, water level was mid door, I drove it with my feet underwater getting it to higher ground, than had to walk back to my apartment, car had no issues after, but 1month later I got into an accident and it got totaled lol

If they tow it &%[email protected]!* it at hopefully the tow place keeps it safe lol I have a lux car so I really don't want a flying roof tile or tree branch to damage it
Final destination style. LOL