1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Huntsville

Discussion in 'Houston' started by FireHazard, Sep 5, 2015.

1. FireHazard

FireHazard

Driving:
    UberX
    So, my girlfriend is moving to Huntsville. And she'd like for me to move in with her. I live in Pasadena. I have a day job and I Uber part time.

If I were to move with her to Huntsville, I would temporarily Uber full-time until I found a new job. However, does the Uber Houston map extend that far north? Hell, is there even demand that far north? I'm guessing I would have to drive the hour and a half from Huntsville to inside the 610 loop just to get fares anyway.

I do know and understand that Uber is not a full-time solution. So please don't make this post about that. I would only do it full time until I found a real job in Huntsville. My questions are specific to the Uber situation in Huntsville. Has anyone Ubered up there? I know its a "college town" but do they even use it?

2. tripAces

tripAces

Driving:
    UberX
    I would say no. But go up there and log into the Pax App. That would be the best bet unless someone says 100% on here they know.

I do think I saw someone say it works in Conroe. I know it does in the Woodlands.

Richard Cranium likes this.
  3. Bukrub

Bukrub

Driving:
    UberX
    I've had pings as far north as Willis. Not sure how much more it would go. i just checked and there are no Ubers available in Conroe right now. As I scan north, it quits giving me the option to request between Willis and New Waverly. My guess is it's unavailable that far north.

Richard Cranium likes this.
  4. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis

Driving:
    UberX
    my mom lives in Huntsville and I tried it. Its part of the College Station map. The rates are higher in College Station however I don't think there's going to be any business in Huntsville at all. sorry I realized I didn't properly answer your question. No you cannot use your Houston area to look up there you have to get the College Station area in the system as well. Also I have no idea how Huntsville feels about Uber. It's certainly not a place I want to be in jail.

5. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis

Driving:
    UberX
    yes it ends just north of Conroe I believe. the last time I visited my mom I'll try it out and I couldn't log on till I got basically about to Conroe.

6. FireHazard

FireHazard

Driving:
    UberX
    Well ok. Guess I'll just have to commute. And find a real job quickly.

7. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis

Driving:
    UberX
    Have you BEEN to Huntsville? Not much there besides the prison and university. I don't know what your background is but there's not a lot of jobs. It is a cheap place to live though but that's because there's nothing there. Mom likes it but she's antisocial and retired and lives in the middle of nowhere off a dirt road.

8. FireHazard

FireHazard

Driving:
    UberX
    Hahaha! What the hell am I getting myself into?

9. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis

Driving:
    UberX
    Oh and the students used to be known for being horrible drivers. Now they're probably horrible pax. But the last time I was there I tried going to the rider app also and it just said no uberx available.

The city when I lived there (1984-6) was very corrupt. The sheriff got in trouble for having the prisoners come work on his ranch and house at taxpayers expense. My boyfriend has a wrecker business and another company was paying kickbacks to get the business that was supposed to be randomly assigned (for drunk tows, wrecks etc).

The jail used to be notorious for being very rough. I would imagine if the city doesn't want uber they would have no problem throwing the drivers in there for the night. People have died in that jail.

I know this sounds very melodramatic and I really like Huntsville but it's basically a very insular big (maybe 25,000 not including students ) town.

There are some pretty crap neighborhoods there btw.

If you did uber and got ANY long fare you'd be driving back empty. It's surrounded by country and it's not that big. However, as I said the rates should be considerably higher than houston. I think mostly it would be students drinking though. Drunk driving is pretty rife there.

10. Hondaguy7643

Hondaguy7643

Driving:
    UberX
    I once worked the Woodlands area and did ok there. Plus with the supposed new surge zones the Woodlands might eventually be included in that. I'd drive down to the Woodlands and if you're lucky you might get a ride into Houston. So at least a large portion of your trip in would be "profitable". Just a suggestion.

FireHazard likes this.
  11. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis

Driving:
    UberX
    Yeah. Still 45 dead miles to the Woodlands though. 30 to Conroe IF there is any business there. The Woodlands is a surge zone now I believe. Whether there will be much surging is another matter. And you would always have dead miles going back. That could really suck if you got pulled south. It's about 112 miles from Galveston to Huntsville. FYI you can tell where you are relative to anything along freeways according to the mile markers. 45 starts at the ocean and 112 miles is about where Huntsville proper begins.

FireHazard likes this.