1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Human Trafficking -- what to do?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by JimKE, Nov 4, 2018.

By JimKE on Nov 4, 2018 at 8:49 AM
  1. JimKE

JimKE

One of our Miami drivers had what really sounds like a human trafficking situation this weekend. Because they know I'm a retired police officer, they told me about their situation and asked for some advice -- which I provided privately.

Our driver was primarily concerned about the safety of the woman involved, and whether they had "done the right thing," which of course they did. But there is another aspect of the whole mess that they didn't really consider that led me to start this thread.

DRIVER SAFETY
    If you get dragged into a human trafficker situation, you are possibly dealing directly with the trafficker themselves...and they are not nice people. They are organized crime types, and if you get in their way, you could put yourself at risk.

So your FIRST, and overriding, consideration MUST be your own personal safety.

In this particular situation, there were two points during the ride when the pax (bad guy, maybe; maybe just a john) got out of the car and the woman pleaded for help. However, the woman did not want the police involved for whatever reason. The second time, our driver drove off and dropped the woman at a safe location. Unfortunately, the pax had left his phone in the driver's car. Our driver called Uber right away and explained the situation to them.

So what to do now?

My advice was to take the cell phone to the police station, explain the circumstances, and request that they write a report and impound the phone as evidence. I also advised the driver to cooperate fully with the police, rather than trying to cover for the woman. Her problem is her problem, and I don't want him to make it his problem.

Where are the risks in that situation?

For the driver, as long as he has the pax's phone, the pax can probably trace it and might pay him a visit. We've seen numerous threads here on the UP where some irate pax showed up at a driver's house by using Find My iPhone or some similar tool. That would be a bad thing.

In addition, depending on when the driver ended the ride (which I don't know), the pax might be able to figure out where he took the woman and go after her.

My suggestion to anyone in that same situation is to do the following:
    1. END the ride, so the pax can't track you and the victim via their Uber ride info.
    2. Get the victim the hell out of there ASAP if you have a chance (which he did). However, do not take any personal risks in doing that.
    3. Call Uber immediately after dropping the victim off.
    4. If the bad guy left anything at all in your car (especially their phone), go right to a police station and turn it in and make a report.
    5. If the item left behind is a phone, I would turn it off and remove the battery to prevent tracing.
    6. If you are not able to get the victim free of the bad guy, go right to the police and tell them what happened including all info you have on the bad guy and where you left them.
    If anyone has anything to add, please feel free.

Comments

Discussion in 'Advice' started by JimKE, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Uber's Guber
      Uber's Guber
      Oftentimes in human trafficking, there is more than one innocent family member involved, such as two sisters, or a mother & daughter. The innocent victims are separated and forced to perform under the threat that harm will come to the other family member should the victim try to escape or involve the police in some manner.
    2. Danny3xd
      Danny3xd
      Thanks Jim!
      Rakos likes this.
    3. ubernonpro
      ubernonpro
      so as a retired police, assuming you drive for uber since you here, have you reported youre being human trafficked by uber everytime they send you a blank contract that coerces free labor?

threatening you with being fired if you cancel too much for refusing to work for free? i.e. duress

or theft/robbery if you feel that technically true fact seems to much for stealing $1-6 from thousands of drivers per day in your jurisdiction using an app instead of a gun?

or elder abuse with their bait & switch fraudulent ads targeting senior citizens that now make up 23+ % of new Uber hires?

just wondering because in no universe should this 90+% illegal app be legal.

why do the police allow this?

as far as the story youre advising an untrained driver to steal a guys phone, end trip, & put his name all over paperwork that might involve organized crime & possible human tradfickers? for less than minimum wage?

If the pax ordered the ride he didn't lose, forget, or end trip sounds like he just made a stop & driver kidnapped his companion & stole property over someones words, now of course i dont know the particulars but women lie just as much as men, whose to say she just wasnt making stuff up cuz she caught the guy cheating or just another couple arguing & she wanted to bounce?

most uber drivers arent the brightest bulbs in the box a real pro women could twist one around her fingers in minutes with a sob story....

none of this is the drivers job especially at illegal 1970s wages (did you ever report those wages to your current cop buddies?)

if he has a dash cam & the guys not being abusive & didn't have her tied up or restrained sounds like its really none of his biz & he should just end trip if uncomfortable, finish trip asap, & get outta dodge, because evil trafficker if he was one has license plate, make, model, even picture & name of uber captain save a possible volunteer ho or possible trafficked dont wanna be a ho & is risking his life unnecessarily

we all know names on official paperwork traffickers & organized crime would see before it hit the captains desk lmao

if dude not hitting or yelling at her in back seat its none of my business, one im not trained, & looks, instincts.... can be deceiving dont play cop going with your gut, uber doesn't pay you to drive 90% of the time they sure not paying you to be robo cop

let the state sponsered extortionists & stalkers do their job if their not busy setting speed traps and hiding all day playing in their phones
      Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    4. UberBeemer
      UberBeemer
      First, please understand, police do not enforce contract law.

Second, Jim did say, "if he left the phone in your car", ergo, not stealing.

Third, yes its a tall order to ask someone to get involved. But all that is necessary for bad people to perpetrate bad things, is for good people to do nothing.
    5. Danny3xd
      Danny3xd
      Right! And well said UB.

Again Jim. Thanks!
      Rakos likes this.
    6. UberBeemer
      UberBeemer
      What is this supposed to mean? Cops don't enforce labor laws either. Any wage a contractor submits to is legal.
    7. Danny3xd
      Danny3xd
      +1

Paraphrasing but;

"For evil to prevail. It only takes good men to do nothing "
    8. Mista T
      Mista T
      Very good advice, it is stuff like this which makes UP.net so much more valuable to me.
    9. ubernonpro
      ubernonpro
      they can report it though no?

seems to me if some minority ran around the city sticking people up for $1-6 thousands of times a day & for whatever reason their hands were tied theywould least report it, get it on paper get it to the proper channels

"hey former captain, i tried this uber thing out they paying me $2-4 to provide labor that actually costs me $4+ isnt coercing people to work for free illegal? how they get away with that? anyhoo just letting ya know "

dont seem very difficult and he wasn't doing nothing being silent letting evil uber actions go unreported

yes be silent ruin some guys life on a uber drivers hunch, the driver can barely do math if it was a pool or x fare but hes detective captain save a ho who might just be blowing smoke to get away from a d bag which isn't a crime

not his biz period, if that concerned end trip call police let them do their job, see something say something not do something

real human traffickers are not playing games they risking life sentences every day, an uber driver is nothing to them & easy to lure somewhere to set up

if pax got out and ran into store or whatever not ending the trip its not on the driver to believe whatever & take off with his property lol, again i dont know the details but a cop telling a citizen to envolve themselves beyond just calling the police is ludicrous especially on just words from someone or a hunch now if he saw actual abuse verbal, physical, whatever thats another story

he could of just been a trick and the girl wanted a quick lick and his $100-800 phone

so many scenarios make more sense than human trafficking

its why black people get cops called for barbequing, or babysitting white kids, mind your dam business stop watching law & order all day only the dumbest of human traffickers is usung an uber & leaving phones behind lol let me just leave all the evidence with this victim alone while i go grab something, no shes coming with him along with the phone

youre a mod and a driver and think youre a contractor?

do you see any details of your contract that allow you you make a logical business decision?

would you knowingly enter a contract if it said youd be paid $2-4 & you know it will cost you $4+? lmao that would be the dumbest contractor in the world oh & if you dont take it & cancel youre fired

yes i know some contracters under bid but this not that

oh well guess im bout to be booted
    10. OrlUberOffDriver
      OrlUberOffDriver
      Long story short.
      Rider left phone in Uber vehicle.
      Rider has no way of tracking driver.
      Enter new destination, police station.
      Drop victim, phone and make a report.
      End trip and go on your merry way!
      Rakos likes this.
    11. Uber's Guber
      Uber's Guber
      Don’t get used to it! ;)
      MarkR, Gonetoscottuber and Mista T like this.
    12. ubernonpro
      ubernonpro
      yeah im not doing all that for $2, most id do is drop off at a public place she wanted to go unless she had cash to go farther

not putting my name or number on any government paperwork lableing me a snitch especially if its an actual organized crime possibility lmao foh

real human traffickers have more than 1 phone ya think?
      MarkR likes this.
    13. Coachman
      Coachman
      Lock the doors. Drive to nearest police station. Unless she starts screaming then stop the car and dial 911.
    14. Mista T
      Mista T
      The reason someone would not want police involved is because of fear of retaliation against loved ones.

Very delicate situation.
      WonderLeeWoman, JimKE and Rakos like this.
    15. UberBeemer
      UberBeemer
      That isn't how it works. If you enter a contract and you feel the other party to the contract isn't complying with terms agreed to, you hire an attorney and sue. The police aren't in the loop on any of that. It is strictly a "Civil Court" matter, as opposed to criminal court.

And, as far as your status with uber or lyft, etc., you are not classified as an employee, but are considered a contractor. This means, the could offer you $0.01 to drive from LA to NY, and if you accept those terms, it is legal.

You got the point. I just tried to put it in my own words.
      Danny3xd, Rakos and SibeRescueBrian like this.
    16. Tr4vis Ka1anick
      Tr4vis Ka1anick
      Do not get involved. Your life can and will become a mess with the advice above.

Drop the woman off with the "bad guy's" cell phone near the police station.

Have her "take the cell phone to the police station,"

Have her "explain the circumstances,"

"and" have her "request that they write a report and impound the phone as evidence."

Once again, have her
    17. Rakos
    18. Danny3xd
      Danny3xd
      Right, T? Some good folks here.

LoL!

UR always fun Rakos
      SibeRescueBrian and Rakos like this.
    19. JimKE
      JimKE
      That's not correct, as long as the phone is operating.

We've had numerous reports here on UP of riders tracking their lost phone to the driver's residence :eek: ...using "Find My iPhone" and similar apps. It's very easy if the phone is operable.

Second, if the driver did not discover the phone until he dropped the woman off, the bad-guy pax could look at his ONLINE ride detail and see where the ride went.

If the woman were unlucky and the driver ended the ride at her house, the account-holding bad guy would have online access to that address without his phone.
      Trafficat, Rakos and Mista T like this.