Huge Rating Drop

KellieP83

I know it's probably been complained about so many times. I have no choice but to work late at night due to childcare, but so far things have been alright. My rating last night starting out was 4.89. I had about 5 runs, all really pleasant. This morning I'd clearly been given 5 stars by somebody as they had left a nice comment. My rating is now 4.84. Somebody must have rated me really low! I drove well, we had great conversations. I just don't get it. It shouldn't offend me but it does! Plus my rating is so low now that if it doesn't climb up quickly I could be deactivated. Not everybody rates so it could sit here for ages! I gave each one of my riders 5 stars last night :frown:
103 trips, 77 rates, 73 5 stars.
Has anybody been this low and not been deactivated?

Reversoul

You're never going to please everyone. So don't worry over this flawed rating system. Most people rate 5* so it all balances out.

Besides 4.84 is a good rating. You shouldn't be concerned unless you drop below 4.65. I'm at 4.87 with almost 500 trips.

Just keep doing what you're doing. 73 out of 77 is fantastic. The longer you drive the less you'll worry about ratings. That's the good news.

KellieP83

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh it's 4.65! Please excuse my confusion. I've been doing this a month and I knew it was 4.65, I don't think my brain had fully engaged this morning looking at it. Thanks for your reply!

Reversoul

Well actually it's around 4.60 or below depending on market. I've seen drivers with ratings lower than that and still active. But if u drop to 4.65 you are close to the threshold and that's when you start to worry.

Bottom line, you're either active or deactivated. The ratings are a joke.

KellieP83

It seems like if they 1 star you, you drop a whole bunch, but if they 5 star you, you climb by 1 point. I could be wrong but it seems that way judging by what I've seen so far.

I wish riders realized that giving a 3 or 4 star hurts us, only 5 stars help. Im sure that's not made clear to them.

Feisal Mo

Last thing you need to worry about with Uber is your rating....uber is very very desperate for drivers. Most drivers quit as soon as they figure out they are losing money hence the reason why Uber is now aggressively advertising nationally for new desperate drivers.

Reversoul

It seems like if they 1 star you, you drop a whole bunch, but if they 5 star you, you climb by 1 point. I could be wrong but it seems that way judging by what I've seen so far.

I wish riders realized that giving a 3 or 4 star hurts us, only 5 stars help. Im sure that's not made clear to them.
Yep. A single 1* will can really drop your rating. It takes many 5* to compensate a low rating.

Ive never gotten a 1 *, but I've gotten a couple of 2's and a bunch of 3 and 4's. As soon as the 2 stars fall off my rating will shoot up over 4.9.

not that I care

danish24

Same thing happened to me last night. I usually try to stop driving after a certain time because every time I drive late night my rating drops. I went from a 4.88 to a 4.82 in a matter of 4 hours. I picked up quite a few drunk people during a late night surge and they probably saw their charges this morning.

WestSubDriver

The rating system is obviously flawed. Rude passengers can rate you 1* with no comment or justification and no ramifications. I stressed about ratings at first as well. Its a common thing amongst new drivers who just want to do their best. My experience is that you just need to provide a good safe and polite service in a clean car and let the chips fall where they will. I'm nearing the 500 rated rides mark and over 90% give me 5*. Probably another 6-7% give me 4*. Then there is that 2 or 3 people out of a hundred that are just crappy. Case in point, my rating dropped last weekend after the ride attached. Young woman asked me if I was taking "the long way". You generally know when you got a crappy passenger and a low rating is coming but sometimes they do come out of the blue.

Attachments

Texas4life577

I know it's probably been complained about so many times. I have no choice but to work late at night due to childcare, but so far things have been alright. My rating last night starting out was 4.89. I had about 5 runs, all really pleasant. This morning I'd clearly been given 5 stars by somebody as they had left a nice comment. My rating is now 4.84. Somebody must have rated me really low! I drove well, we had great conversations. I just don't get it. It shouldn't offend me but it does! Plus my rating is so low now that if it doesn't climb up quickly I could be deactivated. Not everybody rates so it could sit here for ages! I gave each one of my riders 5 stars last night :frown:
103 trips, 77 rates, 73 5 stars.
Has anybody been this low and not been deactivated?
Kellie! You sound like a wonderful person whom is trying to provide for your family. I have the same issues in that I have very pleasant conversations with most of my pax. Sometimes I get a couple that just dont want to chat which I just raise the volume of the music for the trip. I never really get any hints that they are unhappy but then my ratings started to drop. It went from 4.89 to 4.85 in less then two weeks. This used to keep me up at nights. But I really do not give much thought. I know I did my best in prvoiding great customer service. This is all we can do. The rating system is really set up for us to fail. We never get any detail feedback on why we did not receive a 5 star rating. Many I am sure is due to the pax paying surge prices. Also it is so hot right now so the pax might already be in a bad mood before they get in the car. So many variables that can go into the rating system. Just ignore it and just be yourself. Now you can ask yourself after each trip would you give yourself a 5 star. If so then smile knowing you have done your best. Good luck on your journey.

Gung-Ho

I'm so far below the Mendoza line with my rating I would need a bunch of 10 stars to pull me up. I haven't gotten a note of warning and don't give a flip. This is a summer experiment with me and when it's over I am going to re-rate every rider 1 star and call it a day. The money just isn't here for me I can do better elsewhere[ I didn't say that to start an earnings argument].

KellieP83

I had really chatty riders last night. There are times when they just want to be quiet, especially after a late shift, and I'm pretty good at spotting that and being quiet too. They were all so lovely last night so I'm not sure what happened, especially to get a 1/2 star from one of them, or any rides I've had days before either, because I know they can rate days later. Well one guy last night had to put the wrong address in as his address wasn't recognized by uber for some reason. He put an address in that's about a minute out. He didn't text to let me know so I had to text him, then call him after no reply to find him, but it was taken care of and I apologized, he also apologized and he also tipped me $5, so if it upset him he hid it really well! It really is a flawed system and I wish uber would do something about it. Hopefully I'll start caring about it less and less with time.

kc ub'ing!

Hopefully I'll start caring about it less and less with time.
Trust me you will! I was in your shoes when I first started in May. These threads are packed with supportive, "don't stress over ratings, they fluctuate, it'll get better " advice. They were meaningless to me! I went as low as 4.78 and was certain deactivation was imminent. I stressed and pondered why do I suck at this? How can these riders not see my excellent driving skills and wall to wall charisma?!! But here I am now, 725 rides later, a steady 4.85 and I'm having a ball! Wish I'd listened back when. Woulda saved me a few grey hairs and a lot of self doubt!

rocksteady

Uber manipulates high rating averages... Maybe to keep you in check. It has happened to me like clockwork so many times it no longer bothers me. It'll go back up eventually and hit that same point and then magically start dropping again for no good reason.

Reversoul

come see me in tampa i'll give you your first as a welcome gift hehe :biggrin:
My parents live in Orlando and I drive down 4 times a year. I also go to Tampa a lot cause I'm a huge bolts fan. That's the hockey team if u don't know.

elelegido

Yep. A single 1* will can really drop your rating. It takes many 5* to compensate a low rating.

Ive never gotten a 1 *, but I've gotten a couple of 2's and a bunch of 3 and 4's. As soon as the 2 stars fall off my rating will shoot up over 4.9.

not that I care
You cannot know that you have never been 1 starred, or how many 2, 3 or 4 star ratings you have been awarded by pax.

mnorton

When I first started uber emailed me and told me I got a low rating. I'm thinking they do that for 1 star ratings

Reversoul

You cannot know that you have never been 1 starred, or how many 2, 3 or 4 star ratings you have been awarded by pax.
Uhhh.....yeah I can......it's quite easy actually. By using simple math and a spreadsheet in my computer.

You ever heard of a program called Excel?

I've kept track of all 23 lower ratings I've received. Once my overall rating updates I do the math formula and start by assuming the pax gave me a 4. If the result doesn't match, I insert a 3 and then 2 and so on until it matches.

I find it hilarious you're calling me a liar. Especially considering so many drivers do the same thing that I do to track ratings. I have my ratings in an excel spreadsheet.

It's really simple.

The more uber drivers I meet, the more I realize how Travis can get people to believe they are making life changing money. I can't wait to finish school so I can be done with this phase of my life.