Hows the supply/demand in Buffalo? Is it flooded with drivers?

Event

I drove for Lyft when it was first brought to Buffalo 3 or so years ago, and absolutely killed it driving for them, making 300-400/night for a 6 hour stint on a Friday or Saturday.

Then the passengers heard about how profitable it was and the market got flooded. After that I'd be lucky to get a ride an hour.

I just returned from an extended stint of traveling and was planning on driving for Uber/Lyft as a starter gig while I get my feet back under me in Buffalo. Is there the same level of competition that makes it difficult to earn decent money doing this?

I live in the town of Tonawanda so I can easily station myself at UB/Hertel/wherever is busy, I'm just concerned there wont be enough customers for it to be worthwhile.

A number of articles online say the average Uber ride in Buffalo is around $13.50, and that the average driver does 2 rides an hour. But I'd guess that's the national average, does it hold true in Buffalo in your experience?

ShinyAndChrome

I haven't driven Buffalo, but I have Rochester. My guess is that the only way to make 300-400 night driving lyft or uber in buffalo is if you're holding up all your passengers at gunpoint and you manage to make it six hours before the cops catch up to you, or you're dealing drugs between rides. I believe Buffalo to be very similar to Rochester. Here, on a friday/saturday you can gross in the ballpark of $20-30/hour. That's only gross. Generally your take-home won't be as much as $20/hour after proper costs, and this is during absolute best, prime-time for driving when if you're not nuts you should probably be asleep anyway. A bit more with an xl. The problem is surges are rare and there are way, way too many drivers because, as we all know, you can make "tons" of money driving for uber, so everybody and their brother and their brother's dog has signed up.

During non-prime time it's pretty easy to make less than $10/hour after gas and depreciation built into your car.

Be careful about what some website says.
http://uber-rates-rochester-ny-us.u...much-do-uber-drivers-make-in-rochester-ny-us/

Estimated UberX drivers earnings:
At UberX rates in Rochester of $1.1 base fare, $2.15 booking fee, $0.22 per min and $0.95 per mile — the average Rochester trip pay out for a UberX driver is $14.19.
Since Uber drivers on average make about 2 rides per hour, the hourly UberX driver earnings equate to approximately $28.38.
Assuming an average Uber driver dedicates to work about 30 hours per week, the overall per-week earnings would be $851 — making annual salary for Rochester UberX driver equal to $44,273.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
HAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHA

HAHAHA! LMFAO.

jhahahahahahahAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Where the hell did they get those numbers.

Event

Yeah I didn't expect to get those ridiculous amounts, but would be more than happy with 15-20 an hour. Sub $10/hour would be hard to justify compared to other gigs you can get.

When you say non prime time do you mean during 9-5 or so? I was planning to limit my driving to weekday evenings and one weekend evening.

ShinyAndChrome

Yeah I didn't expect to get those ridiculous amounts, but would be more than happy with 15-20 an hour. Sub $10/hour would be hard to justify compared to other gigs you can get.

When you say non prime time do you mean during 9-5 or so? I was planning to limit my driving to weekday evenings and one weekend evening.
I consider non-prime to be any time that is not between 9pm and 3 am on a thurs/fri/saturday.

Basically the only way to make any half decent money doing this is driving drunks around. They will bring liqour into your car and try and squeeze more in your car than they paid for..

Merc7186

I have 240 + trips and have been fortunate enough to gross around $20 - $25 an hour. I usually Drive early mornings. But I would like to thank all the drivers who are sitting in the airport queue while there is a 1.8 x surge downtown during the morning rush hours. Thank you very much for being 10 miles away while I scooped up the passengers downtown.

See...it pays to be polite. LOL.

I admit that I like working drunk shift but also get pissed when I am making less than $20/hr. Last night, my honey hole was flooded with drivers and no where even close the same amount of pax. I was talking to a guy next to me and he told me that he drives 40+ hours a week and averages about 9+/hr. I felt bad telling him that I averaged 20+ an hour but he instantly justified it for me by saying 'Yeah, but you drive XL'......sure......that must be it.

(Instantly ejected from the area, picked up a $30 XL fare with a $15 tip, saved my night)

ShinyAndChrome

See...it pays to be polite. LOL.

I admit that I like working drunk shift but also get pissed when I am making less than $20/hr. Last night, my honey hole was flooded with drivers and no where even close the same amount of pax. I was talking to a guy next to me and he told me that he drives 40+ hours a week and averages about 9+/hr. I felt bad telling him that I averaged 20+ an hour but he instantly justified it for me by saying 'Yeah, but you drive XL'......sure......that must be it.

(Instantly ejected from the area, picked up a $30 XL fare with a $15 tip, saved my night)
What was he driving? Is he GROSSING $9/hour? He sounds ill. 40+ hours/week is FT stuff unless he's working a real job in addition to uber, but if this is his FT gig at that income he's doing badly (even if it's net).

That's the problem driving now; one great ride can "save a night". I've had it happen, too. It's when you don't get that one great that you realize how little you're working for.

Merc7186

He had a Chevy Malibu or Cruse...one of the two and he averages 9 bucks an hour for 40 hours a week driving. I'm assuming that's gross because if that's all he was making, he doesn't seem smart enough to understand what Net is...lol. Also, he said yesterday he was up 6 rides for the day, started at 4pm (it was midnight). Hell, it was slow and I already had 4 rides in less than 2 hours.

Personally, if I decide to park somewhere (which is a rarity) and I don't get a hit within 15 minutes, Im opening up the Uber app and going where the drivers are thin.

ShinyAndChrome

He had a Chevy Malibu or Cruse...one of the two and he averages 9 bucks an hour for 40 hours a week driving. I'm assuming that's gross because if that's all he was making, he doesn't seem smart enough to understand what Net is...lol. Also, he said yesterday he was up 6 rides for the day, started at 4pm (it was midnight). Hell, it was slow and I already had 4 rides in less than 2 hours.

Personally, if I decide to park somewhere (which is a rarity) and I don't get a hit within 15 minutes, Im opening up the Uber app and going where the drivers are thin.
Oh man, so that's the sort of competition we have. Is it any wonder the streets are clogged with drivers. At least we can get past some of that with XL.