How's everyone doing during the stupid virus?

losiglow

Just wondering how everyone is doing during this virus. Assuming you're still driving, have you adjusted your strategy at all? Obviously Friday and Saturday night are completely different and even daytime driving has been messed up due to practically no airport runs or businesspeople.

I'm actually driving more now because my company is making us work remotely so I just drive during the day and then hop on my laptop using my phone's hotspot when I'm in between rides, which is pretty frequent needless to say.

Weekend nights suck. They're no better than during the day. I make about as much in the same amount of time.

Oddly enough, I've found Utah county to be pretty decent lately. It's still the same crappy runs Utah county is known for, but at least there are more of them than I normally get up in Salt Lake. I've gotten pulled down there a few times and it hasn't been half bad. I'm driving down here right now, Saturday afternoon, and have done about $50 in three hours (net). If I can make $150 net in about 8 to 10 hours of driving I consider myself lucky. Another silver lining to UT county is that gas is a good 20¢ cheaper than SL.

Anyone else done anything different? I thought about trying Park City even though I know all the tourists are long gone. I wonder if there are a lot less cars and people still needing to get here and there. But I'm not going to take the time to go up there when I have no reason to believe it's going to be any good.

I've also noticed all the questions from pax are way different now. Everyone has to ask about how busy it's been to which I reply that it's totally sucks. I've gotten a few pity tips that way 😛 I've driven some people who work in the restaurant or hospitality industry and folks heading to the workforce services unemployment office so I'm certainly not complaining.

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing ok here in Utah. Let's hope there's some semblance of normality come May 😬

DriverMark

I've been doing all delivery. And it's actually been going really well. I won't return to driving people until delivery dies out or goes back to the way it was. I'm not driving nearly the hours I was, but per hour I'm making pretty close to the same. Avg $20-30/hr. And there are a bunch of plusses.

1. Perhaps 1/5 of the miles on my car!
  2. Less miles, less gas
  3. No Deadhead home after I'm finished, I only stay in N. Utah County
  4. Working 5-8 or 9, I'm almost always finished by 9
  5. Making $300-500 a week
  6. No more getting home at 3:00AM! So my sleep is back to normal pattern.
It's almost non-stop deliveries once I get logged in. And after figuring out what restaurants to avoid, or figuring out what places do not have food ready when you get there it's better to cancel, things running well.

Given me time to slack. We got 30 days free of CBS, the new Picard show is really good. As well as the Star Trek: Discovery series. Discovery I actually think is better than Picard. But, nice to get time to watch stuff like that again :p.

losiglow

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So all food deliveries? I added the deliveries option, but haven't tried it yet. I've heard mixed reviews. But you've found it to work ok? Do you have to go into the restaurants and wait? Or run around apartment buildings looking for the right door?

DriverMark

So all food deliveries? I added the deliveries option, but haven't tried it yet. I've heard mixed reviews. But you've found it to work ok? Do you have to go into the restaurants and wait? Or run around apartment buildings looking for the right door?
Each restaurant is doing it a little different. Some just pull into the curbside pickup and someone comes talks to you. Fast food some it's only drive through, others you go inside (like the Arby's in Saratoga it's go inside. McDs in Saratoga I walked in and they acted like I was about to shoot the place up). Most though have folks outside that will ask what order and then someone brings it out. Chick-Fil-A you pull up, swipe arrive and they will bring it out (on DD, Eats best to tell them you are there).

Apartments can be tough. Thankfully it's daylight until 8:30 now so that helps. And there are maybe.... 4 or 5 apartment complexes in Lehi/Saratoga? Not a ton. So it hasn't been to hard to get the gist of the numbering for them.

Yea, I haven't given a ride to anyone since March 14th. The earnings potential for driving people is certainly a lot higher. I have turned on Lyft and X occasionally. I had one night, 5 hours, not a single Lyft request. Would see the occasional Uber X when I have that on. But how much sitting between rides there seems there would be that per hour probably not great.

Last night, Monday, started a few minutes before 5 and wrapped it up a bit after 8, lets say 8:30. Had 3 Uber Eats ..... tips of $3, $7 and $5 and total for $37.15. Door Dash had 5 runs for $37.25. $74.40 in 3.5 hours. Think about 60 miles. Stopped and grabbed bite to eat and was home by 9.

MissAnne

Got a nice big fat check from my dad, I don’t have to drive for months if I don’t want to. Add into that my federal and state refunds, and the stimulus check, I may not have to drive the rest of the year.

losiglow

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the tips on delivery. I'll probably stick with driving for now. While not anywhere as good as before, I'm "working" from my laptop while in the car so it's already double dipping.

Friday and Saturday night were surprisingly busy. More so than the last 4 weekends. I think it may have been better due to SLC lifting the stay at home order. I know the Governors directive is still in place and the order SLC imposed was never really enforced but it may have simply been the gesture that resulted in more people getting out. Whether that's for better or worse for infections we'll see....