How yo handle pax wanting you to help with luggage?

DontGoToPaterson

Pax want me to carry her luggage 5 suitcases from her car to my trunk. After getting to the destination she wants me to take it all out for her. After finished no tip. What to do? Risk saying no and a 1 star and doing it and having a possible tip.

kc ub'ing!

I always do luggage. Especially for the gals. I’m gallant that way. Sometimes I’m rewarded with a tip, sometimes not. I help with luggage regardless.

It boils down to your personal character and work ethic. I just cannot sit on my tail while someone loads heavy items into my vehicle. Especially an older or female person.

IR12

Pax want me to carry her luggage 5 suitcases from her car to my trunk. After getting to the destination she wants me to take it all out for her. After finished no tip. What to do? Risk saying no and a 1 star and doing it and having a possible tip.
Ha! I don't EVER touch pax luggage.(I made 1 exception for a blind pax a while back).
If L/U want luggage handlers....hire skycaps.
I Don't need a tip that bad.
Is L/U going to pay if I hurt myself?
Heck no.

Alexxx_Uber

I used to do it a lot when I started doing rideshare, but I realized a lot of pax don’t tip when you help them with luggage. I still do it some rare time, if someone is old, or if I receive a good vibe from pax during pickup or during the ride.
I don’t really know what’s the best to do.
It really hurt me when I help with luggage and they don’t tip. I wish if there was a way that pax could tip upfront if they needed help with luggage.

goneubering

I always do luggage. Especially for the gals. I’m gallant that way. Sometimes I’m rewarded with a tip, sometimes not. I help with luggage regardless.

It boils down to your personal character and work ethic. I just cannot sit on my tail while someone loads heavy items into my vehicle. Especially an older or female person.
Same here. Did one today and one yesterday.

Friendly Jack

Three days ago I drove a woman to the airport. She had 4 really big and heavy suitcases, which I loaded and unloaded very graciously as I usually do, with a smile. Many riders like this will tip, but when she said, "I'll be sure to tip you later in the app", I knew there was a very good chance she wouldn't.

I am still waiting for that tip. :frown: After 4.5 years of doing this it still amazes me that people can expect and accept service like this from drivers and then deliberately lie about tipping. I always feel much less slighted not being tipped when they don't lie.

Another Uber Driver

I was raised in an archaic manner. I just can not let women, elderly and disabled schlepp suitcases, grocery bags or whatever. I will at least take it from kerb to trunk or trunk to kerb. If they are elderly or disabled, I can schlepp it to the porch or apartment building door. Similar goes for a mother with small children. What is funny is that they almost always will tip me for it if they are riding in my cab. If they are riding in the Uber/Lyft car, they almost always do not tip.

I once had a lady on Uber Taxi with two dogs in crates, suitcases and other bags. The doorman at the hotel helped me to load them. He stuck out his hand to her and she walked right by him and got into the cab. She waited for him to close the door for her. She let out a "HMMPH" when he did not. This should have been my first clue.

She wanted to go here, there and everywhere. At one point, she wanted me to watch her dogs while she went shopping. I let her know that this was taxicab service, not petsitting service. I finally got rid of her at an apartment building. Back then, when you ended an Uber Taxi trip, you could see right away if you got a tip. She flatted me. i one starred her. This was back when driver support actually was support and was handled locally. The guy who signed me onto Uber sent an e-Mail and asked why I had one-starred her. I told him that she had all of this stuff that I loaded an unloaded, wanted me to petsit then flatted me. He actually sent her an e-Mail telling her what for. She finally told him to give me my twenty per-cent, but did not want the tip default set to anything but zero.

I had a lady on UberX with boxes, bags and suitcases that I loaded. She had nerve. After I had loaded the stuff, put her into the car and confirmed the destination, I started to drive. She thanked me for helping and made a comment about how I was probably expecting a big tip for it. I simply answered that I would appreciate it. She then let me know in no uncertain terms that I was not getting one and that I should consider the opportunity to help a lady as my reward. I did not reply or talk the rest of the trip. If she asked me something, I simply grunted something incomprehensible. We got to the destination, she told me to end the trip before I began to unload her things. I picked up the telephone, popped the trunk and stuffed it into my pocket. I began putting the stuff onto the kerb. She asked me if I had ended the trip and I told her that I had not. She argued with me the whole time that I unloaded the car and trunk. Finally, I ended the trip and went to get back into my car. At that point, she asked me if I were going to schlepp her stuff to the front door. I told her that I could not be so selfish as to hog TWO opportunities to help a lady. She should share the opportunities with more people. She threatened me with a one-star. I held my telephone out to her as I one-starred her. I then got into my car and left.

She complained to Uber about it and they asked me what had happened. i told them and never heard any more.

Last edited:

iheartuber

I tell them to their face that if I let them
Put the luggage in the trunk they will bang it in and mess up my trunk

Three days ago I drove a woman to the airport. She had 4 really big and heavy suitcases, which I loaded and unloaded very graciously as I usually do, with a smile. Many riders like this will tip, but when she said, "I'll be sure to tip you later in the app", I knew there was a very good chance she wouldn't.

I am still waiting for that tip. :frown: After 4.5 years of doing this it still amazes me that people can expect and accept service like this from drivers and then deliberately lie about tipping. I always feel much less slighted not being tipped when they don't lie.
sorry i had many airport riders not tip and it insulted me alot. uber SHOULD MAKE AN EXTRA CHARGE FOR US FOR THESE USELESS RIDES! SHAME ON UBER!

UberAdrian

I do it. This is a non-issue. Doesn't cost you anything to do this. In fact it's better for you, less chance pax will bang up your bumper etc. If they look weak or stupid I demand to do it for my own protection.

Many driver complaints I understand, even if I'm not concerned myself. But this one I don't get. What's the problem? Too lazy? So what if they don't tip. Nobody else tips either and it's a tiny additional effort.

It seems to me this is more about jealousy than anything else - cuz taxis and bellhops and such get tips and you don't lol.

My theory is - if it makes business sense, stop whining and do it. If it doesn't, lay down the hammer.

UberTrent9

I do it. This is a non-issue. Doesn't cost you anything to do this. In fact it's better for you, less chance pax will bang up your bumper etc. If they look weak or stupid I demand to do it for my own protection.

Many driver complaints I understand, even if I'm not concerned myself. But this one I don't get. What's the problem? Too lazy? So what if they don't tip. Nobody else tips either and it's a tiny additional effort.

It seems to me this is more about jealousy than anything else - cuz taxis and bellhops and such get tips and you don't lol.

My theory is - if it makes business sense, stop whining and do it. If it doesn't, lay down the hammer.
Doesn't cost me anything to NOT do it either. Most people don't need or use all the stuff they bring with them.

Philly215

I’m always looking for ways to increase my chance of getting tips. Yes, Ill always help passengers with their luggage. Sure, I might get stiffed but screw it. I’m still gonna help regardless because you never know. I’ve been rewarded with some nice tips for helping people with their luggage and stuff. I’ve been stiffed many times too. I’m just gonna keep taking a chance.

janewalch

It’s amazing how some of the drivers have become so sensitive that they’re complaining about carrying suitcases and not getting tipped. I ALWAYS load and unload luggage. Elderly, female, male, body builder ... don’t care. I always jump out and do it without question. The ONLY times I don’t is when they’re clearly in a hurry and it would cost more time for me to get out - or if they’re adamant on loading and unloading their own. As a previous poster mentioned, it really just reflects in your caharacter. And if you’re actually worried about hurting yourself carrying luggage, then you may want to consider a job where you sit on a chair all day and nothing is expected of you. It’s really not that big of a deal. And yes, theres a much lesser chance of your car getting dinged if you do it yourself. Pax don’t care about your car...
And I do agree, its not often you get tipped for handling luggage. But I have gotten many $20+ tips for those trips and it all adds up...

btone31

It’s amazing how some of the drivers have become so sensitive that they’re complaining about carrying suitcases and not getting tipped. I ALWAYS load and unload luggage. Elderly, female, male, body builder ... don’t care. I always jump out and do it without question. The ONLY times I don’t is when they’re clearly in a hurry and it would cost more time for me to get out - or if they’re adamant on loading and unloading their own. As a previous poster mentioned, it really just reflects in your caharacter. And if you’re actually worried about hurting yourself carrying luggage, then you may want to consider a job where you sit on a chair all day and nothing is expected of you. It’s really not that big of a deal. And yes, theres a much lesser chance of your car getting dinged if you do it yourself. Pax don’t care about your car...
And I do agree, its not often you get tipped for handling luggage. But I have gotten many $20+ tips for those trips and it all adds up...
Uber isn't a job. And I don't appreciate my niceness and kindness being taken for granted. In almost 3 years of driving and high ratings, I've been shocked by the number of passengers who don't tip even after I've gone above and beyond for them, such as helping with luggage. For now on, I'll help people that are blind, disabled, and the elderly. Everyone else is on their own. I refuse to do extra work for free and the whole time (from pickup to loading to driving to drop off to unloading) I make $10 on a 13 mile trip. And before you use the played out "if you don't like, quit" line, I have no other source of income right now.

janewalch

Uber isn't a job. And I don't appreciate my niceness and kindness being taken for granted. In almost 3 years of driving and high ratings, I've been shocked by the number of passengers who don't tip even after I've gone above and beyond for them, such as helping with luggage. For now on, I'll help people that are blind, disabled, and the elderly. Everyone else is on their own. I refuse to do extra work for free and the whole time (from pickup to loading to driving to drop off to unloading) I make $10 on a 13 mile trip. And before you use the played out "if you don't like, quit" line, I have no other source of income right now.
Trust me - I understand the frustration... but it’s one of those things where I feel like it’s part of the service. And I hate the “If you don’t like it, quit” line too. We’re all doing this for the same reason. It clearly sucks but it maked us money and we can do it whenever and for however long we need. I just switch on autopilot mode and try and give the best service possible with the hope that I’ll get a good tip but no expectation of a tip. It usually doesn’t happen, but there’s always that one pleasently shocked customer who throws you a tip they makes up for 10 non tippers.