How Uber Wasted $2.5 Billion on Self-Driving Cars

Oscar Levant

If Uber had consulted me at the beginning, I could have saved them $2.5 billion, because all I did was imagine one thing --- that the variables a machine has to overcome to drive well, well, the numbers of variables are close to infinite, so I can't see a digital devices conquering an analog world were it encounters variables. All it takes is one thing programmers haven't thought of ( and there will ALWAYS be those ) during a critical moment, and it could kill you. That is why the whole thing seemed like a boondoggle, to me, false analogies of the development of the motorcar versus the horse and buggy ( false comparison due to the simple fact that both are controlled by humans ) notwithstanding. That being said, Waymo is reporting success, so, I'm not expert.

After spending billions to develop a self-driving car, Uber is nowhere close to getting a car that can drive reliably for any length of time. Meanwhile, the unit is riven by infighting. Critics question why CEO Dara Khosrowshahi hasn’t held the team accountable.

RavenK

Uber’s annual revenue is 14 bil, what else will they use 20% of a years earning, pay the employees more!?

The corporate is trying their hardest earning more so if that means eliminating the driver, they will continue chasing this dream

goneubering

If Uber had consulted me at the beginning, I could have saved them $2.5 billion, because all I did was imagine one thing --- that the variables a machine has to overcome to drive well, well, the numbers of variables are close to infinite, so I can't see a digital devices conquering an analog world were it encounters variables. All it takes is one thing programmers haven't thought of ( and there will ALWAYS be those ) during a critical moment, and it could kill you. That is why the whole thing seemed like a boondoggle, to me, false analogies of the development of the motorcar versus the horse and buggy ( false comparison due to the simple fact that both are controlled by humans ) notwithstanding. That being said, Waymo is reporting success, so, I'm not expert.

After spending billions to develop a self-driving car, Uber is nowhere close to getting a car that can drive reliably for any length of time. Meanwhile, the unit is riven by infighting. Critics question why CEO Dara Khosrowshahi hasn’t held the team accountable.

Uber needs to shut down this failure of a division and sign a deal with Waymo or Cruise who are the leaders in SDC.

jocker12

Uber’s annual revenue is 14 bil, what else will they use 20% of a years earning, pay the employees more!?

The corporate is trying their hardest earning more so if that means eliminating the driver, they will continue chasing this dream
Problem is their annual expenses are $16 billion, so they are $2 billion in the hole. So far they’ve spent $20 billion investor money only to stay afloat.

TheDevilisaParttimer

Incorrect. Having a stake in self driving cars (no matter how fledgling) rose Uber's valuation with investors.

Uber's valuation is based almost entirely on it being a tech stock. The moment Wallstreet sways and views Uber as a cab company it's valuation would fall to 1/4 current estimates.

Kurt Halfyard

Author

I hit the paywall at 80 miles an hour...

jocker12

Uber needs to shut down this failure of a division and sign a deal with Waymo or Cruise who are the leaders in SDC.
The only way Uber has beaten its competition was by buying it. Licensing would bury Uber and their market domination/monopoly dreams. The only deal they could get is on faulty software, when the product manufacturer would prefer to let Uber take the fall.

Otherwise, "Uber is seeking strategic alternatives for its Uber Elevate business, including strategic partnerships or a partial sale".

More popcorn, please!

Edit. Oh, by the way. Uber is very close to get those 24.000 Volvo self-driving cars they've ordered back in 2017.

Hahahaha...

goneubering

The only way Uber has beaten its competition was by buying it. Licensing would bury Uber and their market domination/monopoly dreams. The only deal they could get is on faulty software, when the product manufacturer would prefer to let Uber take the fall.

Otherwise, "Uber is seeking strategic alternatives for its Uber Elevate business, including strategic partnerships or a partial sale".

More popcorn, please!

Edit. Oh, by the way. Uber is very close to get those 24.000 Volvo self-driving cars they've ordered back in 2017.

Hahahaha...

Hahahaha!! Poor Volvo.

Alantc

Self driving cars are ok but they won't work everywhere, there will always be a need for drivers. Just not as many
Post automatically merged:

Last edited: