1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

How Uber changed my life

Discussion in 'Stories' started by SadUber, Aug 7, 2017.

1. SadUber

SadUber Well-Known Member

In another thread someone asked the question, "what do you like about Uber?" The more accurate question to ask is how has "Uber changed you?" I honestly believe that Uber has changed me more than any other event in my lifetime.

Last year I was trying to do something special for my daughter for Christmas and this became the catalyst which led to my wife divorcing me. So after this event, I just lied around on my bed every day with my old cat Fuzzy feeling sorry for myself.

I took Uber to get to an interview and the driver was encouraging me to sign up to drive for Uber. I was not sure if I would be good at it but after much procrastinating I finally signed up. It was probably the best decision of my life.

At first I was very scared about being able to getting people to the right to destinations on time. I was afraid if they might not like me. I stressed about it a lot, but after a few trips I realized I was getting the hang of it. After a few weeks I realized I loved it! I never realized how tiny my life was until I started driving Uber. It seemed like the life of everyone else out there was an enormous exciting world, but I was getting to become a tiny part of it all. Earlier in the year, I would walk to the nearest Holiday Station near my house 2 times a day just to buy a Coke for an excuse to talk someone. Now I was having dozens of people opening up to me about their life and asking me about my life! I did not think it could get any better, but then I discovered late night weekend driving.

If the daytime Pax were like discovering new worlds, night time driving was like discovering a new universe. The night time riders are so festive and friendly, always going out to party. It's like hanging with the cool kids from school, but the cool kids from every school in the city! I of course always knew there must be drinking and fun going on late at night on weekends. But I never realized how much fun people had doing it! Not in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would have beautiful women riding and cool dudes in my car like this.
    But I am not just a passive driver to them getting from one place to another, I become an active part of their night of fun. If they want loud party music, I'll crank up my radio to the station of their choice.

This job can be so deep at so many levels also. I am both a student and teacher. I asked many people questions about their occupations and many asked me about mine.
    I am both a counselor and a patient. So many Pax open up to me about their problems and I try to help them out, and at the same time I open up to so many Pax about my problems and many of them try to help me out.

I am often a protector of those who are young and vulnerable. One night I picked up a 15 year old girl and took her to her destination. It just makes me shudder to think of the wrong Uber driver had come to pick her up instead.

Besides the obvious social benefits of driving Uber, I have also met several incredible people here on Uberpeople. Net. I don't even know what half of them look like, but I always have a picture in my head of them anyhow.

Several weeks ago, I signed up for Plenty of Fish because I kept on seeing it advertised here on this website. Two months later, I still don't have a nibble. But I don't care, I feel as if the odds are in my favor if I keep on driving Uber. I often believe that true love and romance might be at the end of the next ping. If not, there's always tomorrow.
    I guess don't look at the Uber world through Rose Colored Glasses like I used to, and some things actually make me really frustrated and angry sometimes. But I honestly cannot imagine doing anything else now.

2. PrestonT

PrestonT Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Another well written short story.

I wonder what someone would want to do for their daughter that leads to their wife divorcing them.

3. Yulli Yung

Yulli Yung Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Who doesnt love a story with a happy ending. Good for you!!!!

4. Uberingdude

Uberingdude Well-Known Member

Too bad you did not started sharing your story here when you began driving for Uber.
    But PrestonT has a point, tell us the deal about your wife and what you were going to do for your daughter for Christmas.

5. Trafficat

Trafficat Well-Known Member

I feel a lot the same way SadUber. I feel like I have lived vicariously through others many exciting adventures that they have related to me.

My car is not as cool though, and I'm not so good at adding to their experience actively.

While it is amazing that I have had such beautiful people in my car, I'm also not banking on any romantic contact coming out of Uber or anywhere else in my life. I think I decided I'm happier with my dog and my cat anyway.

6. prsvshine

prsvshine Well-Known Member

I learned that it made me feel more inadequate then ever when I saw spoiled people dropping off to go bar hopping and then taking them back home to their huge houses. While I work two jobs. Yeah, makes you feel great.

UberXnyne, EX_, Mark Johnson and 16 others like this.
  7. NorCalPhil

NorCalPhil Well-Known Member

I would like to find that Uber driver that provided your first ride. And beat him to death.

8. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    That i want to know!

im starting to feel like SadUber was caged in the basement by his ex-wife and this is the first time hes ever experienced the real world.

yes, its 2017 and smart phones were invented and we sent a man to the moon. Crazy huh?!

Lol

So were you unemployed because of the divorce or are you chronically unemployable?

SpeedyGonzalez11 and Rakos like this.
  9. NorCalPhil

NorCalPhil Well-Known Member

10. SadUber

I was trying to make a really cool Santa cam for Christmas. You could say my ex-wife and I are exact opposites. She did not go for it, and that was the end of it.

Tyrone Chatman likes this.
  11. Uberingdude

Uberingdude Well-Known Member

Every parent does a SantaCam or something similar for their kids. What's the story?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    SpeedyGonzalez11 likes this.
  12. Uber Crack

Uber Crack Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I loved this story. Im so glad uber has brought you happiness :):):)

Brandon0315, Rakos and negeorgia like this.
  13. Makes traveling easy.

14. Rakos

Rakos Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I dont do this for the money...

Never have...never will...

I enjoy the different people...

That I get in my SUV...

That's my playpen...

I used to go to parties occasionally...

Now the party comes to me...

It's all in how you approach it...

And what you expect from it...

It would be nice if they would fix the rates...

Its he$$ being a cheap gyppsy taxi...8O

Rakos

Funny they wouldn't let me use the word Gipsy...it translated to illegal...hah...8)

ChaCha797, El Janitor, REDSEA and 5 others like this.
  15. Uber Crack

Uber Crack Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I also don't do it for the money. It's weird that there are so many different reasons people drive.

ChaCha797 and Rakos like this.
  16. steveK2016

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Dont hold back on us now SadUberSadUber

SpeedyGonzalez11 and tohunt4me like this.
  17. SadUber

It's a long story.
    Kind of painful to remember.

tohunt4me likes this.
  18. steveK2016

Driving:
    UberSELECT
  19. uberRog

uberRog Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Just curious...

Why do you post your comments...

In this manner...

Are you trying to be...

Poetic or something?...

:)

20. Rakos

Rakos Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    My fingers tire easy...

And my screen is so small...

Its hard to focus on long sentences...

Is it hard for you to read?

Rakos

PS. When you get old you MAY do the same thing...8)