1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

How to report Uber earnings while collecting unemployment?

Discussion in 'Pay' started by renbutler, Aug 31, 2015.

1. I_Like_Spam

I_Like_Spam Well-Known Member

The way that the UI office might look at it a little differently than you do. Just consider a few facts.

They ask you if you worked last week. If you uber'ed- that's work. Its untrue if you answer "no" and avoid the followup questions.

They ask you if you are available for work last week- if you're ubering are you really available to go out for a job as a test subject at a medical lab (that was the job the Unemployment office sent me out on- last time I was on UC in 1984. -true story) If you answer "yes", they can say that is untrue.

Third, the rules for counting earned income may be different for Unemployment than they do for taxes, they certainly did when I worked UI here in PA.

Lastly, the unemployment office probably gets computer reports from Uber, reporting who is starting. The child support court certainly does, this will be something to explain, perhaps.

Do what you want, but just realize that your arguments are going to be lined up with UI Regulations in California by a bureaucrat. It might turn out fine, but there is definitely a risk here.