1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

How to report Uber earnings while collecting unemployment?

Discussion in 'Pay' started by renbutler, Aug 31, 2015.

1. DrewTheShooter_Twitter

DrewTheShooter_Twitter New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I dugg this break down... as well as some others. Thanks all. The info on this thread in particular has pretty helpful.

Thanks all!!

2. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo New Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Does anyone have experience with filing for unemployment in Wisconsin while driving for Uber? I was working full time and doing a little Uber driving on the side and lost my full time job. When I filed for unemployment, I tried to list Uber under self-employment, but WI-Unemployment told me that Uber is considered an employer by the federal government which means I have to list my gross pay without deduction expenses. I don't think that's right based on the April court cases in California and NJ. Any ideas how I can get this turned around so I can get my unemployment based on my net Uber pay after expenses?

3. I find my self in the same boat andI would love to hear what happened as
    I do understand your original question.
    Do tell-

4. Hugo00

Hugo00 New Member

[​IMG]
    Hugo00New Member
    Hi, I found this forum and really very helpful, I am on the exactly same situation, been laid off 6 weeks ago, I just start reporting my gross 2 weeks ago, my weekly pay been reduce $50 dollars because on my case if I make less than $350 a week they reduce $50 on my unemployment check and if I make more Thant $350 basically they don't pay that week ( here on Virginia ). I know we have expenses, he is right and I just start thinking about that if I declare the gross or net. But, my other question is how UI know how much we make per week if Uber only report for the whole year earnings, I think so.
    And also how I can report those 2 weeks I missed?

5. Uber SUCKS for drivers!

Uber SUCKS for drivers! Well-Known Member

Huh? I don't get what all the fuss is about. There is no reason to report anything, Uber is a net loss. You are not "working" you are not "earning" anything. You are just selling and eating your car one ride at a time. You are actually losing money (true net after all expenses, most deferred) There is nothing to file or report to unemployment agency or IRS!

Jake2016 and Tim In Cleveland like this.

6. Tim In Cleveland

Tim In Cleveland Well-Known Member

Most drivers average 2 miles per 1 paid mile. That's $1.08 in expenses according to the IRS. Is your market paying more than that? If not, you didn't have a profit.

7. shiftydrake

shiftydrake Well-Known Member

You actually don't report profit you report gross earnings......that is how it works.....self employment keyword employment not self profit

8. Tim In Cleveland

Tim In Cleveland Well-Known Member

That is just crazy. Consult a tax attorney. I think you can form an LLC TODAY, before the end of the year and claim all Uber income under that. Now your gross earnings are what you pay yourself and if that's nothing, that's all you would report. You WOULD NOT list Uber as employer. You would list your LLC.

9. shiftydrake

shiftydrake Well-Known Member

Ok I actually have a brother who is an attorney.....so anyway believe what you want but people will believe when UI comes knocking on the door or they get penalized for fraud ........but again supposedly I don't know anything

10. renbutler

renbutler Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Unemployment rules vary by state. What might be true in your state might not be true in another.

Just keep that in mind. You all might be right for your own situation.

11. sicky

sicky Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I was doing this 1 year ago.

You need to report what Uber pays you each week and not deduct your expenses. You deduct your expenses on your tax returns at year end. Uber pays you after it takes its cut, so that's what you report.

12. cferrel

cferrel Member

I would report net since its a business and you pay yourself the net.

13. I_Like_Spam

I_Like_Spam Well-Known Member

I used to work for unemployment compensation, a number of years ago.

UC is a federal/state program, where the reporting standards and qualifications really vary.

In the 1980's, we had folks that had ongoing "side job" income that we deducted a set amount each week- steel workers for example doing regular shifts barbering. If someone took self employment while receiving unemployment, we'd just chuck them off benefits. The reporting requirements might vary where you are, and they might be different in PA even now.

Contact and examine the rules for unemployment comp in the state where you are.

14. Redtop

Redtop Member

There is one thing you're missing. Many states prohibit you from collecting unemployment if you are self-employed. Uber is considered self-employment. Check that out.

That said, I'd be totally comfortable reporting income after expenses, using the IRS rate (which I think is 54.5 cents for 2016).

You can report your actual earnings each week and let the unemployment people figure out how much to pay you. Typically you have 52 weeks to collect your maximum allowance, which is 26 weeks times the maximum benefit. Let's say the max benefit is $400 but one week you make enough that you get paid only $300. The $100 will carry over. If you have a week that your benefit is only $1, the $399 will carry over. It's not an all-or-nothing deal each week.

15. 781623

781623 Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Any interesting and sad thread. After 16 months, I am sure the thread originator has moved on. My take on the subject is this:

It is possible that in some States, drivers may be considered as employees of Uber. And, different reporting rules will apply. In most States, if not all States, the money that Uber deposits in our bank account should be considered as "business income" and not "personal income". The reporting rules are different. Business income minus associated business expenses = personal income. Thus, the $500 that Uber may deposit in ones bank account should not be considered as personal income.

16. omahagreg

omahagreg New Member

It should not, however in many states is. In my state the UI guidance clearly says that the gross earnings from self-employment is the amount to report. Sad but true.

781623 likes this.
  17. Jay1111

Jay1111 New Member

Did you ever have any luck with this? I found out there site a link that states self employment income does not have to be reported in wisconsin. I can pm you the link if you would like.

18. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo New Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    I tried to report the earnings as self-employment, but the WI unemployment people called me back and said that they do not classify Uber work as self-employment.

19. Jay1111

Jay1111 New Member

If thats the case wouldnt uber be sending us W2s?

20. JamesHoldenPro

JamesHoldenPro New Member

This is how I file my taxes. I consider Uber and other independent contractor (1099-misc / k) as a business, deduct my expenses, then the rest is personal income. So yes, I don't believe UI needs to know about my Uber income, since I plan on reducing it to zero come next April (never take the standard deduction - you can always itemize higher when deducting business expenses). So does anyone have experience with this?

I'm just in between jobs / gigs and thinking I could drive for Uber to make some extra cash, but if it's going to reduce my UI benefits - why would I?