1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

How to report Uber earnings while collecting unemployment?

Discussion in 'Pay' started by renbutler, Aug 31, 2015.

1. zombieguy

zombieguy Well-Known Member

Then he won't get unemployment at all. If you want to consider it business expenses then you have your own business and therefore do not qualify for unemployment.

I wouldn't tell unemployment anything about Uber.

Uber technically doesn't pay you a commission. You pay Uber a fee for processing the payment the rider is giving you and they take their cut before passing on the rest to you. This is your business. They don't issue a 1099misc, they issue a 1099k that has the gross amount before Uber fees. It is up to you to make those deductions.

2. renbutler

renbutler Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    That's not true. Certainly not in my state. And most others, apparently:

https://www.sba.gov/blogs/laid-and-...s-understand-your-unemployment-benefits-first

Hours worked is important; whom you worked for is not.
    Well, then I would be lying, committing fraud, risking prosecution, and putting my family's welfare in danger...

I never said Uber pays a commission. Uber's commission is what WE pay to Uber ($1 plus 20%, in my case).

I was talking about expenses in that context, not income. The commission to Uber is essentially one of my expenses.

thomas1234 and chi1cabby like this.
  3. Tim In Cleveland

Tim In Cleveland Well-Known Member

You actually need to call a cpa to be sure, but of course you would only want to report the true NET. Deduct $.57 a mile from what you're actually paid and also deduct any perks you are providing: i.e. satellite radio, barf bags, refreshments, cost of your cell phone, internet access (this job would be hard to complete without internet access. Even accessing this forum could be considered training as you learn from other drivers). Do not deduct car washes and repairs, those are normal maintenance included in the $.57. Do not deduct haircuts, dental visits, clothing and other stupid stuff cheaters deduct.

4. renbutler

Driving:
    UberXL
    I don't consider that the "true" net at all. That's just the way to determine taxable income. It's important and useful, but it might not be applicable to the unemployment equation.

I consider the money that goes in my pocket (or bank account) after actual expenses to be my "true" net.

Regardless, I'm not sure why a CPA would need to be involved. The unemployment agency would most likely have the answer I need, if I finally get the stomach to sit on hold or stand in line to talk to somebody.

5. Tim In Cleveland

Tim In Cleveland Well-Known Member

taxable income IS YOUR TRUE net. I've had my own business for 17 years and know submitting a profit and loss statement INCLUDING ALL DEDUCTIONS is accepted as net income. Since you don't believe me, play it safe and pay the $25 a cpa would want to answer the question over the phone. Hell, he might not even charge you anything to answer it. Don't listen to dipstick employees at the unemployment agency. Each one will give you a different answer while the cpa will tell you what the IRS considers income and the unemployment agency has no right to come up with different methods.

6. renbutler

Driving:
    UberXL
    Look, I appreciate your effort, and I understand what you're trying to say.

But this discussion is only peripherally about taxes. It's wholly about unemployment insurance and benefits.

The state unemployment agency absolutely is the enforcement party in this discussion. They -- not the IRS -- enforce every part of the rules that concern me and my situation.

I was simply interested in whether anybody had any real-world experience in regard to self-employment during unemployment, but apparently nobody here has. So I guess I'm calling the unemployment office tomorrow.

7. Disgusted Driver

Disgusted Driver Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
  8. StarzykCPA

StarzykCPA Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Did you get an answer? What state are you in? The answer will vary by state, but generally I think it's gross.

I believe in Virginia you would need to report your gross amount. They would then deduct $50 from that gross amount to determine the impact on your benefits. You also report the gross amount to Massachusetts, but I'm not sure how it would impact your benefits there.

thomas1234 and chi1cabby like this.
  9. daniel mondello

daniel mondello Active Member

Good for you. .

10. renbutler

Driving:
    UberXL
    I have called yet.

But I do know that here in Indiana, the first 20% of your benefit is guaranteed, but then any dollar made beyond that total is deducted dollar-for-dollar from your benefit.

11. SelectRangeRover

SelectRangeRover New Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT

Did you ever get an answer on this?

12. boredwithitall

boredwithitall Member

I like how you dragged this thru the mud and back, how you wanted to be doing the right thing. but yet you were wanting to claim "UN"employment. when you are clearly "EMPLOY"ed . if you are driving for uber.

13. David Pickett

David Pickett Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    NJ Unemployment has a place to report some earnings, but my Uber spreadsheet usually shows a net tax loss for my rides, so I have no income. The question this begs is, does the state accept the IRS mileage rate, especially in terms of Unemployment Insurance? NJ seems to say you can use your federal schedule C numbers: http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit11.shtml#sole

14. StarzykCPA

StarzykCPA Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    The link you referenced is for income tax purposes. For income tax purposes, yes you can use your Federal Schedule C numbers.

For unemployment, you probably have to report your gross earnings. I'm not positive, but most states are like that.

15. SmokeyJonez

SmokeyJonez Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberLUX
    always deduct your mileage, its always a bigger tax write-off and you report your gross income, just like you would with any other job..
    the money you make from Uber will come off the top off your unemployment benefits.. For example, if your unemployment is $600/week and you made $230 driving with Uber, your unemployment will only give you $370 that week.. if you make more than $600/week with Uber, your unemployment benefits will be cancelled..

StarzykCPA likes this.
  16. SCdave

SCdave Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    If you are going to give this a try, then you are saying you are an Uber Employee and not an Independent Contractor. Therefore, Schedule C and Net Income AFTER Deductions like the Mileage Deductions should not be considered, right?

You are filing for "unemployement".

I am not a Tax Attorney, a CPA, or have any professional knowledge to pass on. I'm just using logic and what I read.

17. David Pickett

David Pickett Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    NJ wants you to report WAGES, and is not very informative about being a sole proprietor while unemployed. I sent them an email. Reporting the Gross seems a bit extreme, but safe, and in many cases might not reduce your UI check. Also, unused UI in any week extends the end of your UI.

18. Emmanuel12

Emmanuel12 Member

I can't believe this bum is driving for Uber and wants to collect unemployment instead of getting a real job. I will tip the IRS about people driving for Uber and wanting to milk the system

19. mattertea

mattertea New Member

Any results from this? Looking over the UI section for reporting self-employment in NJ, its asking for net-income, not gross.
    Sole Proprietorships
    If you are self-employed, the amount of net income derived from your independent business, trade, or profession must be reported on your New Jersey personal income tax return. Net income is the profit realized from operating your business. It is the amount of business revenues remaining after deducting costs and operating expenses and is calculated using the same accounting method and period used for Federal income tax purposes.

20. SCdave

SCdave Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Wait, you mean you will tip the IRS about Uber having Employees but not paying FICA payroll taxes. And also tip your state unemployement agency about Uber not paying into the state unemployment pool. Wait, in a way, having an Uber Driver file for Unemployement with Uber as the last Employer, is drawing attention to "Uber milking the system".

Yes, I understand what you are saying but me thinks you are focusing your energy on the wrong side of this coin. It is Uber, and not the individual drivers that are screwing the drivers and local/state/fed agencies.

thomas1234 likes this.