1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

How to protect yourself from false accusations.

Discussion in 'Advice' started by gambler1621, Aug 10, 2018.

1. So, I had a rider today who claimed to be a Safety & Security Investigator with Uber. The ride took place a very long distance from San Francisco. He was visiting from SF. Based on our conversation unrelated to his position, I believe him.

When I told him how I protect myself from false accusations, he agreed that it is about the only thing that you can do to protect yourself.
    • I make sure to 1 star, report in the app, AND call in to report ALL riders with whom I have ANY issues. Stick to the facts in your reports (I picked them up at a bar, they reeked of alcohol, they had difficulty walking, they were belligerent, they left a mess (take pictures), they threatened me, too many riders, no child car seats, police were called, etc) You need to be able to substantiate your claims (see next suggestion).
    • Have a dash cam and enough memory cards to keep footage for several days
    • Always be prepared to defend yourself from false accusations.
    You will be deactivated until the investigation is completed. There is no way around it. You need to defend yourself quickly and with determination.

While you are deactivated, you need a backup plan if this is your "full-time" gig. Sign up and keep your account current with as many other rideshare & delivery services as you can manage. Use them each at least once a month to insure your account will stay active.

Uberlife2 and tohunt4me like this.
  2. JimKE

JimKE

I agree with the dashcam and immediate report, although I've never had any serious complaints.

The immediate report, to me, is really key. Absent an immediate report, I think Uber tends to take the rider's complaint as the full truth.

I don't automatically 1* potential complaints, and I don't think that is either necessary or helpful. I only 1* if there is a very clear problem with the pax -- usually trying to squeeze 5 or more into an X ride. (Full disclosure: I don't drive the drunk hours, and I might approach things differently if I did.)

Another thing to keep in mind about the "automatic deactivation" is that sometimes Uber has no choice. Under Florida's rideshare law, they are required by law to deactivate us for an impairment complaint until they investigate.

doyousensehumor and Rakos like this.
  3. Merc7186

Merc7186

Driving:
    UberXL
    Dashcam. I hear that protects you from false accusations. Anyone not using a dashcam is an idiot (not a false accusation).

Ezridax, escott24 and Rakos like this.
  4. 56sav

56sav

Driving:
    UberX
    ^ Yes, hook it up ASAP. I'm using a 64GB iPhone SE mounted behind my rear-view. Put that puppy in 720p mode and let the good times roll, then when you get home x-fer the vid to your PC and keep it for 30 days.

5. AuxCordBoston

AuxCordBoston

“Always be prepared to defend yourself from false accusations. You need to defend yourself quickly and with determination.”

Those two sentences are very true. I had my first deactivation on Lyft due to a discrimination complaint. I knew exactly who the rider was. After providing my response I was reactivated immediately. I was fully prepared for this type of situation and my response was concise and quick.

I’m on Uber, Lyft, doordash, Grubhub, Amazon and Instacart.

Ezridax likes this.

6. Ok but what privacy laws regarding video taping customers do they apply in this situation? I mean what if customers dont want to be video taped and proceed a lawsuit claiming privacy violation? I wanna get one but am afraid someone will freak out

7. Ardery

Ardery

1 if they prefer not to be recorded, end the ride.
    2 there is no expectation of privacy when you're out in the world.

MoreTips and ratethis like this.
  8. Make that several weeks, if not months. I got a 2TB drive just to archive dashcam video onto.

9. 56sav

56sav

Driving:
    UberX
    Depends on your state. Here in CA you need to clearly post that recording of audio/video is in progress such as behind the front headrest

https://www.thedashcamstore.com/warning-sticker-audio-and-video-recording-may-be-in-progress/

10. Ok thanks for clarifying ill check texas state laws regarding that

Yes are absolutely correct in stating that there is no expectation of privacy in the world since internet social media and even public spaces are monitored however there are laws to protect Roman citizens against this so we're just following the law basically

11. Texas law states dash cams are okay, as long as they abide by the following:
    • The camera cannot obstruct your view. Same goes for GPS, cell phone, and anything else that can be placed on the vehicle’s dashboard.
    • In terms of surveillance, it is not an issue if the recording is not causing harm or disturbance.

MoreTips, Ezridax and Christinebitg like this.
  12. Thank you for clarifying the first point, i would need to purchase a system that mounts on the dashboard or mounted on top of the interior of the car roof. Kind of like a bubble camera and ill post signs that you are being recorded that should do it

13. A windshield mount is okay as long as it doesn't block your view. You can mount on the windshield up near the rear view mirror. That gives the best image of the interior and doesn't block the view.
    I don't have any signs, but I believe signs will lower the chances of pax trying anything shady or trying to set the driver up.

MoreTips and Ezridax like this.
  14. Johnriii

Johnriii

Driving:
    Lyft
    just started driving about a month ago, and installed my dash cam before my first ever ride for this very reason. no one has yet asked me about the cam, though it's in plain view and obvious that it's recording. like another post, if you don't like my cam, get out of my car.

15. NWAüber

NWAüber

Driving:
    UberX
    I do something similar. At the end of each night I archive video/audio from all of my rideshare trips, to be saved indefinitely (or, at least, until I know I'm done with rideshare for good). Maybe it's overkill, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

This practice benefited me recently when a passenger tried to scam their way out of paying for a 3.6x ride that I had given them two nights prior. Uber clawed back the fare, saying that I had picked up the wrong rider. I responded to this by letting them know that I had dashcam footage showing that I did, in fact, pick up the correct rider. I had my money back within a couple of hours.

16. I would add that being selective on what rides you take will help . If you are taking short rides all day or picking up in poor neighborhoods or college areas you are a lot more likely to get reports and bad ratings .

17. 1 ) UNION
    2 ) Union
    3.) union

MoreTips likes this.
  18. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    How would a union help a driver in defending from a false accusation?

That's a serious question, because I've worked around a lot of unions and I've been a member of one. (Service Workers International)

C

doyousensehumor likes this.
  19. RaleighUber

RaleighUber

Driving:
    UberXL
    There are no "union" for independent contractors as each is their own business owner. You'd be far more likely to get a trade group formed where drivers voluntarily subscribe to some standards, pay dues, create opt-in group health insurance, etc. That group could also lobby for legal changes and protections in your state. But good luck getting low paid drivers to cough up anything to band together.

20. steveK2016

steveK2016

Driving:
    UberXL
    Several days? I still have footage from May with enough storage to keep adding footage until December, and I still have 2 more drives that in can split recordings to. I keep footage until I run out of space. If something happens of note, like a cleaning fee or aggressive pax, I'll put in a keep folder that I never delete.