How to Prank an Uber Driver (AKA Uber Driver IQ Test)

tohunt4me

Disclaimer: I do not advocate any active driver trying this as they risk putting their account at risk if Uber ever finds out what you're doing or ties whatever rider account you're using this with with you. This is all fantasy for entertainment purposes only. Don't try this at home.

Along with hiring an Uber driver (keep cancelling until you get a 4.6 or lower) to wait at Wal-Mart while you shop for an hour (threaten to give him 1 star if he doesn't comply--bonus points if city has sub 10c/min rate), this is a great way to show everything that's wrong with Uber. Or just amuse the hell out of yourself.

On to details...

Step 1: Find a city with no cancellation fee. https://uberpeople.net/threads/uber-has-rescinded-cancellation-no-show-fee-in-these-markets.38780/ (thanks chi1cabby)

Step 2: Find the most remote location you can find on the map from the nearest available driver, preferably at least 20 minutes away. (This part takes practice, if you are having trouble, consult your drunk 2AM PAX who are PHDs at idiotic pin drops. After a while you'll get the hang of it. :smiles:) Rural dead ends, middle of cornfields, regional parks, etc. Make it as inaccessible and far away as possible. If you want your bogus trip to get accepted, make it something enticing. Residential street in rural area, regional airport in the middle of nowhere.

Step 3: Watch your driver drive 20-45 minutes to the middle of nowhere and laugh your ass off. Note: Do not text your driver. Do not call. Do nothing incriminating, nothing that would indicate that it's anything more than an honest, misplaced pin. Just watch the fun...:wink:

Step 4. Laugh as your driver desperately calls and texts you up to 20 times in 5 minutes. Take sick, twisted Machiavellian pleasure in what you've done as he finally cancels the trip. You just owned someone to the max. Savor the moment. Realize you just taught that poor naïve fool a valuable lesson in not accepting pings over 10 minutes away.

Extra tips: Do at 1:30-2:30 AM on weekends for maximum fun. Pull up the bogus address on google street view and imagine driving there in the middle of the night (LMAO).

Again, this is pure fantasy...and purely hypothetical...there's no way to actually do this.

Uber is a flawless company who cares about it's drivers and has a perfect system in place. With no tips, and less than 7 cents net per minute to drivers in some markets, top partners are earning upwards of $675,000 per year! It is so wonderful that Millennial riders in need can get rides when they need them, whether it's from a farm, remote municipal airport, or regional park in the middle of nowhere! Remember, no need to tip. Uber On! :cool:

--UiaL
SADIST !

I see you've tired of pulling the wings off flies.

You must work for Uber Corporate.

HoldenDriver

Karma now has you where she wants you. Enjoy the ride! :rolleyes:
I'm not sure this is a karma thing. Uber has set the pay below minimum wage. That, and only that, is where the karma should lay.

Tactics of social engineering to deter such behavior are ethical, in my view, under those circumstances. Unfortunately, it will hurt fellow drivers in the short run to stage such social engineering tactics - but in the long run it will encourage Uber to better protect drivers, as drivers will quit driving for the TNC without said protections.

I actually thought of this tactic yesterday, and nicknamed it Uberan Warfare™. It also applies for cancelling within 5 minutes... since drivers can go up to 5 minutes unpaid if you cancel at 4:59 or earlier.

Per my contract with Uber I must note that I do not encourage this behavior. I am merely discussing the challenges of paying drivers at a rate below minimum wage, and the potential retaliations people may legally take as a result.

MiddleClassedOut

I routinely do this just to get drivers out of my area. Philadelphia is so overclogged with drivers sometimes just tying someone up for 5 minutes can get you the ping, since from conversations with Pax, most of them are looking for the closest car. It's really fun when they think they're getting a surge rate and you lure them into an out of the way neighborhood that requests probably aren't coming from.

If say Lyft is on surge, and Uber isn't, but there are few Uber cars in the area, you definitely want to be doing this and vice-versa. I would love if someone did this to me, those cancels get your acceptance rate up on Lyft.

It's a war of an all against all, it's the system we've been given, there's no shame in it.

Eventually we'll get a medallion system, just like for taxis. They were created to limit the number of freelance taxis so everyone could make a fair wage.

Just one more trip

I routinely do this just to get drivers out of my area........
It's a war of an all against all, it's the system we've been given, there's no shame in it.
There is a GOD out there who repays mistreatment of his people. Call it karma, bad luck, whatever; it is a debt earned by misdeeds, and it everntually will be paid.

HoldenDriver

There is a GOD out there who repays mistreatment of his people. Call it karma, bad luck, whatever; it is a debt earned by misdeeds, and it everntually will be paid.
Um, you said that already. You're missing the counter argument. The counter argument is that the system itself must be dismantled.

Uber and Lyft need service protections to prevent abuse for drivers. That, at one point, was the immediate $5 cancellation fee. You hit request, you get stuck with a $5 fee if you cancel.

That protection is now gone. Drivers are now being asked to drive 10-15 miles round-trip, without even a cancellation fee, to remote areas with no chance of another passenger. The only protection for drivers, is to chose not to accept those rides. "Pranking" drivers in this manner, is a form of education.

And Uber is now paying drivers below minimum wage, which many of us feel is illegal. Our only recourse is civil disobedience, and asking regulators to act. The latter isn't working, so the former becomes palatable.

Uber needs to pay at least minimum wage, plus expenses. Asking drivers to spend 15 minutes to, and 15 minutes from a far-flung location - for only $3.25 after fees - is illegal.

Last edited:

MiddleClassedOut

If that was true, none of the psychopaths running corporations would be making the money they're making. Successful businessmen are ruthless, relentless and merciless. If you want to make money, you need to be unethical. You're running a business doing rideshare. Unless you're donating all your Uber earnings to charity and you're only doing it to keep drunk drivers off the road, in which case I'm sorry if I take you off the road for a few minutes. Of course I draw the line at breaking the law.

HoldenDriver

If that was true, none of the psychopaths running corporations would be making the money they're making. Successful businessmen are ruthless, relentless and merciless. If you want to make money, you need to be unethical. You're running a business doing rideshare. Unless you're donating all your Uber earnings to charity and you're only doing it to keep drunk drivers off the road, in which case I'm sorry if I take you off the road for a few minutes. Of course I draw the line at breaking the law.
That's taking it a bit too far. Look, Lyft often says no to matching Uber's chances because they realize it's not ethical to drivers. Sometimes, they have no choice.

If you want to make this personal about Uber, no objections here. But all corporations are not Uber.

We, as drivers, need to hold the line, and use all tools at our disposal - within the law - to do that. I don't support, condone, or encourage pranking drivers.

I do, however, have no problem requesting a driver 15 minutes away, getting a ride for 5 blocks, and then walking home for some exercise.

Last edited:

HoldenDriver

There is not. There is no such thing as divine retribution.
Can we please not make this thread about God? I mean, I love God. I believe in a creator. But social engineering and requesting drivers from far away has nothing to do with it. If God cares about this, then he either has limitless power, or is way too involved.

Either way, I don't care. It's not my job to care. It's my job to do the right thing, and educating Uber drivers to not take pings 15 minutes away - is righteous in my book.

Just one more trip

If you are unknowing of GOD's ways or Mankind's laws, I am wasting keystrokes. Never mind......

HoldenDriver

I am wasting keystrokes. Never mind......
Yes, you are. You are engaging in a logical fallacy of a cop-out. You aren't willing to engage in the topics at hand, or their ethics. Believers don't just espouse karmic power. They actually take on the issues and discuss them.

Posts like you are why believers (like me) hate when people bring up God in a post. Because you never actually tackle the ethics at hand, and instead appeal to an authority that is impossible to dialogue on - or totally off-topic.

Just one more trip

There is not. There is no such thing as divine retribution.
Then a Good Book I read must be wrong about hell and everything else in the book must be fake too so perhaps we should all just kill everyone else until we are killed. That is the belief system of terrorists. Now why don't we stop advocating fraud against drivers?

HoldenDriver

Then a Good Book I read must be wrong about hell and everything else in the book must be fake too so perhaps we should all just kill everyone else until we are killed. That is the belief system of terrorists. Now why don't we stop advocating fraud against drivers?
Are you done trolling this thread? Seriously. You said you were going to stop. You said you were leaving. Just go.

Just one more trip

Yes, you are. You are engaging in a logical fallacy of a cop-out. You aren't willing to engage in the topics at hand, or their ethics. Believers don't just espouse karmic power. They actually take on the issues and discuss them.

Posts like you are why believers (like me) hate when people bring up God in a post. Because you never actually tackle the ethics at hand, and instead appeal to an authority that is impossible to dialogue on - or totally off-topic.
Many are called; few are chosen. Advocating fraud against another is not something I would even consider for a second. There is a diference between believing in GOD and knowing GOD. That is why one road is wide and the other narrow. I am done. Espouse on.