• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How to Opt Out of Uber's TSA Arbitration

300Miles

INSTRUCTIONS
Here is how to opt out of Uber's legal straightjacket of arbitration, curtailing the few legal rights you retain in Uber's new (and old) Technology Services Agreement. Here's How:

1. On the second to last page of the TSA, clause 15.2.8 "Your Right To Opt Out Of This Arbitration Provision", there is a an email address to send your option demand, [email protected].

2. Send an email to opt-out. Here is a template, in case you don't feel like writing one:
"Dear Sir or Madam, I opt out of all arbitration as noted under 15.2.8 of Uber's Technology Services Agreement. Respectfully,
YOUR NAME AS IT APPEARS IN UBER APP
YOUR UBER APP TELEPHONE NUMBER
YOUR CITY IN WHICH YOU RESIDE

3. Put opt-out UBER TSA arbitration in the email subject line and send it to [email protected].

4. You will get an immediate response from Uber noting your opt-out has been received.

CAGE THAT KANGAROO
Why do this? What's the point?

According to the Prospectus filed when UBER IPOed, there are over thirty-five THOUSAND lawsuits pending against Uber. Small checks from this corporate shipwreck wash up on my beaches on a regular basis. These are tiny slices of settlements won by other drivers, who courageously retained their rights to resolve disputes in a court of law and who had lawyers with the guts to back them up.

My checks totaled over $300 in 2019 alone. Apparently, I'm still due another $100 for the year.

Uber cannot retaliate against you for rejecting arbitration. To their credit they never once tried to retaliate against me in the 4.5 years I've opted out of this provision of the TSA.

On the other hand (if you happen to be a wuss) you can always do nothing, which will accept arbitration.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deepscout

Ok, wait, what about the whole "don't touch your riders" thing, what about "no weapons in the car," I don't see that anymore. Is that contained elsewhere, in some supplement?

Wonkytonk

What did your receipt acknowledgment say specifically mine said they only monitor that email address for opt out notices from drivers but that's not the same as we received and acknowledge your opt out notice.

Trafficat

I've always opted out. I don't have any interest in petty labor lawsuits, and even though I have gotten several notices to opt in to class actions I have always rejected doing that.

But I definitely don't want Uber to be able to sue me and take me to their clown courts instead of real courts.

Companies like Paypal have had in their terms that they could withdraw money from your linked bank account if you did politically incorrect things like sell "high capacity magazines" for firearms. Uber is not yet as petty as Paypal, but should they get that way, then yes, I would like to be able to go to a real court to obtain what has been stolen from me rather than go to the clown courts. Uber's CEO decision to endorse gun-ban legislation makes it increasingly apparent that they are trying to go down the path of left-wing corporatism that will value punishing political opponents over profit.

Wonkytonk

I typed a letter signed it scanned it and attached to an email and duplicated the body of the letter in the email with the required information to opt out. I sent the email and immediately received an email reply stating that they only monitor that email address for notices from drivers who decide to opt out of arbitration.

Did anyone receive an email saying anything other than that when they submitted their opt out notice to uber?

Wonkytonk

I've always opted out. I don't have any interest in petty labor lawsuits, and even though I have gotten several notices to opt in to class actions I have always rejected doing that.

But I definitely don't want Uber to be able to sue me and take me to their clown courts instead of real courts.

Companies like Paypal have had in their terms that they could withdraw money from your linked bank account if you did politically incorrect things like sell "high capacity magazines" for firearms. Uber is not yet as petty as Paypal, but should they get that way, then yes, I would like to be able to go to a real court to obtain what has been stolen from me rather than go to the clown courts. Uber's CEO decision to endorse gun-ban legislation makes it increasingly apparent that they are trying to go down the path of left-wing corporatism that will value punishing political opponents over profit.
So when you opted out this time what did the email you received from them say?

Trafficat

So when you opted out this time what did the email you received from them say?
it said:
E-mails to [email protected] are only monitored for Arbitration Provision opt outs by U.S. drivers. Need help with something else? Visit http://help.uber.com or open the app and navigate to the “HELP” screen. To unsubscribe from text messages from Uber, text the word “STOP” to 89203, using the mobile device receiving the messages. If you decide you no longer want to receive email updates from Uber, you can click the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any email message.

mrpjfresh

Did anyone receive an email saying anything other than that when they submitted their opt out notice to uber?
E-mails to [email protected] are only monitored for Arbitration Provision opt outs by U.S. drivers. Need help with something else? Visit http://help.uber.com or open the app and navigate to the “HELP” screen. To unsubscribe from text messages from Uber, text the word “STOP” to 89203, using the mobile device receiving the messages. If you decide you no longer want to receive email updates from Uber, you can click the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any email message.

Hmm, I guess North Carolina no longer qualifies as one of the lower 48 then? #technologycompany

As to your specific situation, if you look closely on the following page, just after the one @Rakos posted, there is a little paragraph that essentially reads that if you opt out but previously did NOT choose to opt out, you will be bound by that previous mistak..ahem, decision instead. /Resolved :mad:

Wonkytonk

Hmm, I guess North Carolina no longer qualifies as one of the lower 48 then? #technologycompany

As to your specific situation, if you look closely on the following page, just after the one @Rakos posted, there is a little paragraph that essentially reads that if you opt out but previously did NOT choose to opt out, you will be bound by that previous mistak..ahem, decision instead. /Resolved :mad:
Yeah I think that's a crock too. For example if cell phone carriers make a change to the contract that financially impact users users can opt out of that contract so it's probably the same for those arbitration clauses every time they make change that impacts drivers financially we probably have a right to opt out of arbitration. Not sure really it's never been challenged I'm sure.

One thing though. When AB5 goes into effect, which does not make drivers employees, it simply acknowledges that legally they were employees all along and not independent contractors then I would imagine that at that time those arbitration requirements go out the window since they were based on the false supposition that drivers were independent contractors when in fact they were employees. So those one would think would have to be renegotiated which would offer drivers an opportunity to opt out of those initial arbitration clauses.

Also I suspect they're not legal to begin with, and as has been noted there's an issue now where drivers being engaged in interstate commerce can not be subject to arbitration clauses. Which is an issue we discussed several months back.

Bonmot

I typed a letter signed it scanned it and attached to an email and duplicated the body of the letter in the email with the required information to opt out. I sent the email and immediately received an email reply stating that they only monitor that email address for notices from drivers who decide to opt out of arbitration.

That's what I got, too. No mail confirming I'm opted out. Very unprofessional just as the delivery of the agreement itself. Drivers shouldn't have to immediately study a 27-page legal document just to log on to the app some random morning. They should have allowed reasonable time to review. They could have included a a summary of what's changed. They could also make it easier to opt out by including a check-box form soewhere on the app or web site. So much for "transparency".
Post automatically merged:

Every driver should OPT OUT immediately. Forced arbitration restricts your options if you find you want to sue Uber. You are EXCLUDED from class-action lawsuits, which is exactly the point of arbitration agreements.