How to make a pax irate

Frontier Guy

For all of you who like to accept and cancel, you're doing a great job off making pax angry. This morning, took a 3:45am Lyft fare from 112th and Washington to Santa Fe and Dartmouth. Started towards downtown, immediately got a Uber fare at Lincoln and Cedar. I was caught at a light Broadway and Miss., pax calls.

(angry pax):ARE YOU GOIGN TO SCREW ME OVER TOO, OR WILL YOU ACTUALLY COME AND GET ME?

(Me):Excuse me? ( I should have hung up and cancelled, but was curious)

(Pax): I requested 20 minutes ago. When I requested it said a driver was 4 minutes away, I came out to the curb. Then suddenly it changed and said my driver was 8 minutes away and showed a different drivers name and car. Then it changed again, and finally it changed a 4th time and went to you, if you drivers don't want to pick people up, just quit already, and stop playing games.

(Me): Well, I'm sorry for this, but I'm on my way and will be there in like 3 minutes, which corner are you on.

(Pax): N.E. corner, I hope so, I'm really getting tired of this happening.

(Me:smiles: Hang tight and I'll be there

I pulled up 3 minutes later, two pax hop in, both work at Gary Lee's Motor Club and Grill. One male, one female. The male had requested on Uber, after getting screwed over, the female requested on Lyft, which I was signed off already of Lyft so I missed. As they got in, she cancelled the Lyft driver, who was still 11 minutes away. Pax explained the first car was a female driver in a Toyota Camry, then it suddenly changed to a male in a Honda CRV, then it changed to male in a Hyundai, then it changed to a Nissan Frontier (me). The guy explained he knew the routine, someone else had explained it to him, and it was super annoying as it happened at least three times a week. I wanted to laugh, but I all could do was apologize. He calmed down pretty quickly and gave me a $10 cash tip. Decent ride, Cedar and Lincoln to 17th and Colorado which materialized into a 11th and Penn. to DIA. The woman said this is why she stopped using Uber, and only used Lyft because it didn't happen as frequently.

oscardelta

This sounds like the old "every time I come into this restaurant, you guys screw up my order" complaint.

One has to wonder why they keep going back for more. You're paying bus-fare prices for a personal, non-stop ride to your destination. Were they really expecting five-star service?

Frontier Guy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This sounds like the old "every time I come into this restaurant, you guys screw up my order" complaint.

One has to wonder why they keep going back for more. You're paying bus-fare prices for a personal, non-stop ride to your destination. Were they really expecting five-star service?
I agree, but that doesn't give drivers an excuse to screw pax over.

oscardelta

"I agree, but that doesn't give drivers an excuse to screw pax over."

No, but it's a dog-eat-dog world out there. People need thicker skin (or they need to buy a car). Once you think it's reasonable to ask a complete stranger to pull up curbside at the touch of a button and whisk you away to the destination of your choice for pennies, you've given up the right to be outraged. It's like going to Denny's and sending your poached egg back three times because they keep overcooking it.

R44KDEN

I live in an area where I am for the most part, the only UberBlack car around. This means I invariably get the desperate pings (UberX riders who cant find an UberX because of a tiny supply where I live). As some of you know I call each and every rider. If they are wanting to go a short distance or they are at any establishment which ends with "mart" I cancel. Anything less than 4.7 rating, I cancel. Anything more than 10 mins away, cancel. I often get them calling, after I do cancel, and I simply ignore this as well.

Short fares or UberX riders who take the odd UberBlack crucify your rating because they resent having to use the so called premium product. This is often after they have woken up the next morning after a drug or alcohol fueled bender and received sticker shock from the email receipt.

mattadams

I've only cancelled after accepting a few times, and mainly its because I realized I've just passed the interstate exit and the next one is miles away and it'll screw the rider to have to wait for me when there sprobably plenty of others in the area. Otherwise you have plenty of time to look at the request when it's coming in and decide to take it. You see the surge price, the riders rating, and where they are. I guess I don't get why they'd accept it and hten cancel it minutes later...

KevRyde

I live in an area where I am for the most part, the only UberBlack car around. This means I invariably get the desperate pings (UberX riders who cant find an UberX because of a tiny supply where I live). As some of you know I call each and every rider. If they are wanting to go a short distance or they are at any establishment which ends with "mart" I cancel. Anything less than 4.7 rating, I cancel. Anything more than 10 mins away, cancel. I often get them calling, after I do cancel, and I simply ignore this as well.

Short fares or UberX riders who take the odd UberBlack crucify your rating because they resent having to use the so called premium product. This is often after they have woken up the next morning after a drug or alcohol fueled bender and received sticker shock from the email receipt.
Wow Mr. Rule Breaker you need to review the Uber Rider Complaint Handbook and specifically items:

7. Cancelled on Rider
10. Did Not Answer Phone
14. Excessive Calling
25. Refused Destination

Clearly your days are numbered...

Attachments

Last edited:

Frontier Guy

I received this gem tonight.

Pax paid 3.4 surge to go to coors field felt I owed her $10 because I couldnt take her to blake street cause it was closed.

Total fare was $18 bucks
You can go back and change her rating on your end as a result

Frontier Guy

I've only cancelled after accepting a few times, and mainly its because I realized I've just passed the interstate exit and the next one is miles away and it'll screw the rider to have to wait for me when there sprobably plenty of others in the area. Otherwise you have plenty of time to look at the request when it's coming in and decide to take it. You see the surge price, the riders rating, and where they are. I guess I don't get why they'd accept it and hten cancel it minutes later...
It's called screw Uber, and thus screw the pax. Look at the comments from the brain trust above and you have your answer.

I generally will only cancel if more than 15 min. away, although this depends, and I've started to call some of them. Even the ones where I drive by a turn, I'll sometimes call them and advise "hey, by the time I got your request, I missed my exit, it's going to take me longer than the time shown, do you want to still wait?" this gives them the option to cancel and try again. Last night I logged into both apps at 5pm, stopped at 7/11 on 64th and Washington, while getting my water, I had 3 request/accept/pax cancel in 6 minutes all came from 15 minutes away, Colfax and High, 18th and Vine, 23rd and Gilpin. Considering the time, I bet they were all heading to Coors field. The pax I finally accepted that didn't cancel was 73rd and Pecos, already knew it was a cheapy, I was right, drove 8 minutes for a 3 minute fare. Which worked out, as my next fare was 10 minutes away (92nd and Wads) going to Avanti. US 36 was a cluster, I-25 was a cluster, pax was cool with me taking side streets, which cut miles, but added time.

R44KDEN

Wow Mr. Rule Breaker you need to review the Uber Rider Complaint Handbook and specifically items:
7. Cancelled on Rider
10. Did Not Answer Phone
14. Excessive Calling
25. Refused Destination

Actually, I would have violated nearly every rule. And yes, my days are clearly numbered. I cant wait :-)

Frontier Guy

"I agree, but that doesn't give drivers an excuse to screw pax over."

No, but it's a dog-eat-dog world out there. People need thicker skin (or they need to buy a car). Once you think it's reasonable to ask a complete stranger to pull up curbside at the touch of a button and whisk you away to the destination of your choice for pennies, you've given up the right to be outraged. It's like going to Denny's and sending your poached egg back three times because they keep overcooking it.
Maybe some of these aren't an option? Buy a car, had a pax a few weeks back that takes Uber or Lyft every day, the money he spends could buy a car, but by his own admission, his license was permanently revoked for 5 DUI's, what good would that car do?

FAC

7. Cancelled on Rider
10. Did Not Answer Phone
14. Excessive Calling
25. Refused Destination

How do you know all this stuff?