1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How to handle the Port Authority Cops...Newark Airport cops...

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by NJDriver, Sep 7, 2015.

1. NJDriver

NJDriver

I decided to put this in a separate thread as a FAQ.

1. Basically, if you pull into the airport and see cops at Terminal A most likely when you get to the gold mine we call Terminal C there will be cops there too.

The arrival areas or the first level of Terminal C is the most likely area to encounter cops. The departure areas or 2nd and 3rd level C are a lot less likely although Ive seen cops there in the past on occasion. Many experienced Uber passengers know to go to the departure areas to get picked up. Tell your client to go to the departure area to get picked up.

The cops have a year or more experience with Uber. They are very smart, very observant and can spot you a mile away. They do change up their tactics often and adapt to any trick you can come up with. They do change up their schedule. One time I saw them arrive at Terminal C at 7am and the next day it was 6am. Sometimes they are out there with high viz jackets for you to see and other times they hide and jump you. The Newark city police detectives sometimes come down to pull their own operations independent of the PA police. That guy tends to wear an external body armor and looks like a punk driving in a smoked out Lincoln Town Car.

You are safer if you drop off than if you pick up, but they will stop you if you drop in front of them. Just remember if you see the cop they can see you. Absolutely do not pick up or drop off if you can see a cop or the cop car. If you absolutely must drop with a cop in the terminal get way past them and drop and do it quickly.

The cops tend to be out in large force from 12pm to 12am. Ive seen them really lock things down with 5 cops and a cop car at each terminal in the arrivals area checking each and every car that does a pickup. When I got my tickets they didnt ask me or my passengers. They just started writing.

If you are hanging in the terminal and see the cop in the distance coming toward you on foot or in a car leave now. The moment they get within shouting distance you are done. Pull out slowly and obey traffic rules with signals and such. Always be alert in the terminal. Head up, radio off and scanning around you.

To Uber at the airport daily you have to be brave and know how to handle yourself around the police. Ive been stopped a few dozen times in my lifetime and so Im used to the routine. So its not if but when you will get stopped at the airport. Its not if but when you will deal with the police. Make sure all your paperwork is straight and present. Drive like you have a driving instructor in the car. Uber has good lawyers so you do have protection.
    1. The cops of the Port Authority are probably the biggest *******s around out of all the NJ or NY cops you have encountered. They rarely give breaks or warnings and you can expect a ticket in your hand at the end of any encounter. Some of the older cops who have been on the job a while might give you a nasty speech along with a scowl followed by a warning or a cheap obscure plates ticket. Feel lucky when you get the older cop who gives you that nasty look and demeaning warning. However, you WILL always end up with multiple-tickets in your hand when the PA cop looks like they just got out of college. They have very specific training on how to deal with you. First, license, reg and insurance. Second, questions that you dont have to answer. Tell them you dont want to answer questions. They will try to get you to admit you are Uber. You have every right to stay silent when the questions go beyond the usual routine. "Im sorry but I dont want to answer questions." Of course, hand them your required paperwork and they can figure out who you are. I once tried that routine with a Suffolk County cop when he pulled me over for speeding. I told him I didnt want to answer questions in a nice voice and smile. He went away and came back with my ticket. Are you here for Uber? Sorry I dont want to answer questions. Who are you here to pickup? Sorry I dont want to answer questions. Can I search your vehicle? No. etc...no crime in being at the airport circling around and only crime in standing is $54. Third, tickets in the hand...from theirs to yours. Fourth, do you have any questions. Nope, dont ask questions. Say no and drive away like you are grandma and as if the DMV driving instructor is in the right seat meaning very carefully so they wont decide you need to get stopped a second time.

Now lets say you get the brilliant idea in your mind to answer questions. "Who are you here to pickup?" "My buddy Ralph" "So what is Ralphs flight number? What time does he get in? From where? Whats Ralphs last name...etc" If you answer a question the cop is trained to ask more questions which you cant answer and you end up looking foolish/guilty as you try to respond. Actually that's not true, they will not just ask questions, but pepper you with more questions quickly. Just hand him your license, reg and insurance and stay silent. When asked questions tell them you don't want to answer them. You are under no obligation to answer questions. They cant impound your car or arrest you for you lack of participation during the question/answer session. In order for them to impound your car they have to have cause, to search your car they must have your permission which they will try to get...either that or they see some contraband in your car and we all know not to Uber with contraband... There is no crime for circling around the airport and the only crime you committed for standing at the Terminal is a 54 dollar parking violation. So, do not answer questions. Stay silent. That's your right.

Also, the PA Cops are now coming up with an officer on both sides of the car thereby sweating you. They are now treating everyone like a violent criminal. So, especially dont move with these guys. Dont make any fast moves at all and have your paperwork in a very easily accessible place like your cup holder all ready to go. Lower all the windows in the car, make it easy for them to see you. Look straight forward with both hands on the wheel and stay in that pose until its over. Dont look over at the cops partner. You will see them in your peripheral vision. Always smile when dealing with the officer and act like he is your buddy. Helps to be friendly to defuse the encounter...the encounter which they are trying to escalate with their horribly unfriendly demeanor.
    LASTLY, if you get a ticket contact Uber immediately. They have an attorney who is very experienced with the Uber tickets and will help. Uber pays tickets for which they feel responsible for meaning that $54 no standing ticket may not be payed for. DO NOT try to handle this situation on your own. DO NOT pay the tickets. Contact Uber immediately sending them a picture of the ticket.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    Nagodesi likes this.
  2. pickmeup

pickmeup

Is it me or are you becoming slightly obsessed with Newark airport?

Alex12 likes this.
  3. I think NJDriver works for Uber and wants us to not stop going there due to the ticket blitz. hahaha

Alex12, TwoFiddyMile and pickmeup like this.
  4. NJDriver

NJDriver

I'm getting myself a Toyota Sienna van with TLC plates;) So I wont be NJDriver too much longer. I will be posting a thread with each and every step you need to take to get to that point as well.

Lepke and Jonnycash like this.
  5. Jonnycash

Jonnycash

Driving:
    UberX
    Good Job NJDriver! Excellent posts! Thanks for sharing.

6. Nagodesi

Nagodesi

Driving:
    UberX
    TLC plates? Are you doing this full time? what is te cost associated with this venture?

7. NJDriver

NJDriver

The largest cost is insurance which costs you about 400 per month give or take for a car or 800 for an SUV. The other costs are getting the license in the first place which is about 500, registering the vehicle annually which is 500 and of course the vehicle itself. The current rule is after 5 model years your vehicle is no longer eligible. You also must pay 6 months of the insurance up front. This means you are looking at 3-4 grand in start-up costs. There are quite a few offices to visit like the DMV, Social Security Administration, Staten Island office, Def Driving Course, Wheelchair course, doctors office, etc. so in ways of time we are talking multiple days of standing in line or in an office.

In NJ, after Ubers cut you get 94 cents per mile. In NY, Uberx is $1.50 and UberXL $2.

8. jaymaxx44

jaymaxx44

Driving:
    Lyft
    Wow, they were ticketing TLC cars again like crazy last night again. They must be scanning the ones with issues because i saw them going after specific cars and giving them multiple tickets which took a long time. Only good thing was they were so busy with that everyone else was able to pick up pax all around them.

9. NJDriver

NJDriver

I do have a buddy who goes to the airport every single day usually in the morning and he has NY TLC plates. He does not report this same experience. In fact, he is one of those guys with the Uber sign on his car. He told me he picks up right in front of cops. If there is any doubt and you have TLC plates, you can simply park in short term parking, walk down and ask the cop. There is no penalty for asking questions.

I suspect whats going on is there are people at the airport camping out and filling up the pickup areas. The cops are finding not a lot of passengers or flights coming in yet they have this mass of parking. So I believe they are issuing the no standing ticket to TLC vehicles, but if you don't have LIMO or TLC plates they will issue you the full range of tickets. My buddy stated that he has never been bothered and with the sign saying "Uber" in his side window there is absolutely no doubt what he is up to.

I think there is some type of agreement about this matter with the NYC TLC.

How do all of the various car services like Dial 7 pickup from Newark? Google it and you will find dozens of limo services such as Dial 7 which pickup from Newark.

10. jaymaxx44

jaymaxx44

Driving:
    Lyft
    I'm thinking it's not the standing thing it's something with the car or driver like suspended license, registration, etc. It's just too many cars getting ticketed with plenty of other cars around them standing as well.

11. NJDriver

NJDriver

The PA Police do have license plate readers in their cars. No longer are the readers bolted to the trunk, but they are mounted internally somewhere. So the license plate is scanned and it has a system which flags the car for a stop. I know this because a Port Authority cop stopped for a license plate issue. The DMV mailed me new plates and canceled out the old ones. They gave me a letter telling me to give that to law enforcement as the old plates were canceled and the new plates in the mail. The Port Authority stopped me because the old plates came back canceled.

12. pickmeup

pickmeup

Spoke to a TLC driver today. Said Papd is giving out some ticket for not having permit to pick up. He said some friends got it without warning

13. TaylorHamNCheez

TaylorHamNCheez

Driving:
    Lyft
    Just did a drop off & there was 3 cops on foot eyeing cars hard. Ewr terminal B.

14. NJDriver

NJDriver

Im on a break from the airport until I get my tlc plates or I get through the first batch of tickets. Im switching out to a Sienna.

I think the main problem is not the cops but just getting a fare in the first place. Mornings are always good but after that impossible. People either have their buddies pick them up or jump on the shuttle busses. The yellow taxi line does not move at all. I think the yellows are going out of business. The PA police are on the take with the yellow taxis...known fact!

Stick to bread and butter areas instead of circling the port!

15. gmc

gmc

Driving:
    UberX
    I have a very simple rule I follow about ewr if I have one pax I go for it with one backpack or small bag anything more than that I refuse the ride.
    I had a pick up the other day to go to ewr mother/ grandmother / and baby plus 3 suitcases stroller chair I got there for pick up I saw the situation and I said sorry my phone just flip out I lost the connection and I can't get back into the app sorry but you have to call another uber and I drove away
    I waited down the block to see who showed up and after 7 min I saw this Honda CR-V ( green) with an older guy driving it ( 60's) and I said poor bastard hope you don't get the cops at the airport
    The guy looked Latino the females going to ewr were from Haiti hardly spoke any English good luck trying to explain that to pa imagine how long it took them to get out of that car and get going baby grandmother mother stroller chair 3 suitcases lol not me buddy I'm in I'm out under 20 seconds pull up phone out the way pax already knows what to do pull to curb open door get out grab your bag move on I'm out not coming back around to circle just to be seen again no I'm out there move on
    I did have a couple from Hoboken the other day I had the guy sit in the front wife in the rear drive up to curb I jumped out went to the back grabbed both suitcases dropped them at the curb shake his hand hug the wife and wish them a nice vacation to wine country the guy (very cool indeed) replied thanks for ride the bbq was great last night can't wait to come back and have me and my wife over for dinner " say hi to the kids" has hewalked away
    I got in the truck and drove off under a minute rightnext to a pa van with tinted windows who knows whowas inside

16. jaymaxx44

jaymaxx44

Driving:
    Lyft
    Yeah meanwhile some guy sneaks onto a plane while there busy with uber drivers. Great work PA.....

gmc likes this.
  17. NJDriver

NJDriver

GMC's strategy is correct for picking up at the airport. The lone guy with just one bag is not going to get you in trouble. He hops in the car and gone. Its that big family with all the bags that will get you in trouble. Its that infamous stroller which wont fit anywhere. While you stand there trying to load all the crap in, the cops come swarming out. If you are insisting on picking up at Newark with Jersey plates, I think you should call to ask how many in their party and how many bags. If they say something like party of 4, tell them your car is too small. You will cancel and they should re-request and you are being honest. A Camry or other sedan really cant properly fit all that. They need an UberXL, not an UberX. I wouldnt lie and say the app is flipping out. Just tell them all that cant fit in your car.

Example: "Hi, this is John your driver, how many are in your party?"
    "Family of 4 with bags and stroller"
    "Sorry sir, that will not fit in my car. I will cancel and just re-request and they will assign you another."

Also, always tell them you only pick up from the departure levels and be honest. Just say the police dont want you hanging out in the arrivals area. Keep it classy and sell it. It will take a bit of selling to get someone to climb the steps.