1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Featured How to handle tailgating?

Discussion in 'Complaints' started by LyftNewbie10, Jul 27, 2018.

1. LyftNewbie10

LyftNewbie10 Well-Known Member

After 38 years of driving, I still don't know how to handle the psychotic maniacs who literally come out of nowhere and ride my rear bumper---on the highway(!)

It happened twice in the same area in the last week (405 becomes 518 west towards SeaTac airport), and on the exit ramp last night. Other than those a__holes, I really enjoy driving. I guess they think that they are invincible, have no regard for others and that you are on their road?(!)

How do you handle them? Thanks.

405s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2018
    KellyC and Tnasty like this.
  2. Dropking

Dropking Well-Known Member

begin to immediately slow down gradually and move to the right as soon as safe. flip up your mirror reduces stress in those seconds.

3. LyftNewbie10

Incidentally, I'm not blocking and/or going slow in the fast lane.

Danny3xd, Tysmith95, KellyC and 2 others like this.
  4. Dropking

Dropking Well-Known Member

sure. but also, when riding the fast lane tailgaters don't really come out of nowhere. frequent moving eyes from mirror to mirror like we were taught in driving school should see it coming before it's a problem in most cases. :)

Quest09, F213, melusine3 and 4 others like this.
  5. SHRPR

SHRPR New Member

This is great advice. With a customer and on the highway is not the time to win the moral battle, and mess with a bad driver. Deep breath and ignore the other driver to avoid road rage.

I always drive in the right or travel lane anyway, so tailgaters don't happen often for me.

BeeHive and MarkR like this.
  6. mikes424

mikes424 Well-Known Member

When driving a rear wheel drive car, I hit the brakes slightly and gas at the sane time. The car's nose dives like you're braking but you pull away so you don't get rear ended. Scares the s*** out of the tail gater. Too bad it doesn't work with FWD.

7. drive4lyft69

drive4lyft69 Active Member

I get out of the lane ASAP. Jerks How is my home state?

Tr4vis Ka1anick likes this.
  8. JMlyftuber

JMlyftuber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Further right lane asap. Speed up a little if you have room and then tap brakes in case they literally don't see you while you check your lanes. Use a blinker the whole time so they're as aware as possible of your intended maneuver and they hopefully won't try to intercept the space you intend to occupy.

LyftNewbie10 likes this.
  9. Expiditer77

Expiditer77 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    This is what a cupholder full of pennies is for.

10. 68350

68350 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Not necessarily, when they're going 110 in a 65 with 5 lanes, they literally CAN come out of nowhere.

In Phoenix, they don't care what lane you're in. They expect you to GTF out of their way when they're humping your bumper.

11. Grand Lake

Grand Lake Well-Known Member

It's a great time to use your rear window washer, if your vehicle is so equipped. It's important to have clean windows, so don't scrimp on the washer fluid - hey, if it takes a quart, it takes a quart. The stuff is cheap. Make sure to give the tailgating driver a chipper wave once the cleaning process is finished.

Getmeoutofhere, F213, aeiou_- and 6 others like this.
  12. Zebonkey

Zebonkey Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    If it happens more, than once or twice, that means, that you're driving too slow.

13. Prism

Prism New Member

Know exactly what you mean. I drive early morning and try to get done before morn. rush hour. It’s still dark so I slowdown a bit, flip the mirror up and take a sip of coffee. This shows the tailgater they aren’t bothering me and I’m used to people like them. Works almost every time and they either back off or get ahead of me.

14. LyftNewbie10

No it means there aggressive/crazy/psychotic drivers on the road. You are part of the problem. ;)

More mellow the NYC metro area (my home) and Los Angeles. ;)

I wish I had a rear window washer. :D

Yes, I agree. Thank you.

:O Those a_holes just ruined Glen Campbell's song.

15. Cdub2k

Cdub2k Well-Known Member

Eventually they'll be spattered all over the freeway slowing down traffic while emergency workers scrap their corpse up off the pavement.
    Just try not to be the one they take down with them

I kindly move over when I see one of them quickly approaching me from the rear. I don't want to be in that accident with them.

16. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    In Boston there's a phenomenon known as *"The Brake Job".

Wait til their an inch off your bumper and lock up the brakes.
    Wait for the police, exchange papers and make bank.

*Brake Job should only be done if you own a 1987 Chevy Caprice or a pickup truck.
    Other results may vary.

17. HotUberMess

HotUberMess Well-Known Member

Move to the lane on your right?

18. njn

njn Well-Known Member

19. LyftNewbie10

Maybe the map is tough to follow?

That's exactly what I am doing: Our traffic on interstate 5 north, is coming from the left hand lane, trying to merge with route 518 west. We/I have to cross over a couple of lines to exit right, in the space of 1/3 mile (!)

rating.jpg

map2.png

Getmeoutofhere and njn like this.
  20. HotUberMess

HotUberMess Well-Known Member

Just put a blindfold on and go for it, if anything happens, Uber’s insurance will cover it!

/JK don’t do that