• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How to handle tailgating?

LyftNewbie10

After 38 years of driving, I still don't know how to handle the psychotic maniacs who literally come out of nowhere and ride my rear bumper---on the highway(!)

It happened twice in the same area in the last week (405 becomes 518 west towards SeaTac airport), and on the exit ramp last night. Other than those a__holes, I really enjoy driving. I guess they think that they are invincible, have no regard for others and that you are on their road?(!)

How do you handle them? Thanks.

405s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SHRPR

begin to immediately slow down gradually and move to the right as soon as safe. flip up your mirror reduces stress in those seconds.
This is great advice. With a customer and on the highway is not the time to win the moral battle, and mess with a bad driver. Deep breath and ignore the other driver to avoid road rage.

I always drive in the right or travel lane anyway, so tailgaters don't happen often for me.

drive4lyft69

...the psychotic maniacs who literally come out of nowhere and ride my rear bumper---on the highway(!)

It happened twice in the same area in the last week (405 becomes 518 west towards SeaTac airport), and on the exit ramp last night. Other than those a__holes, I really enjoy driving. I guess they think that they are invincible, have no regard for others and that you are on their road?(!)

How do you handle them? Thanks.

View attachment 247082
I get out of the lane ASAP. Jerks How is my home state?

JMlyftuber

Further right lane asap. Speed up a little if you have room and then tap brakes in case they literally don't see you while you check your lanes. Use a blinker the whole time so they're as aware as possible of your intended maneuver and they hopefully won't try to intercept the space you intend to occupy.

sure. but also, when riding the fast lane tailgaters don't really come out of nowhere. frequent moving eyes from mirror to mirror like we were taught in driving school should see it coming before it's a problem in most cases. :smiles:
Not necessarily, when they're going 110 in a 65 with 5 lanes, they literally CAN come out of nowhere.

I always drive in the right or travel lane anyway, so tailgaters don't happen often for me.
In Phoenix, they don't care what lane you're in. They expect you to GTF out of their way when they're humping your bumper.

Grand Lake

It's a great time to use your rear window washer, if your vehicle is so equipped. It's important to have clean windows, so don't scrimp on the washer fluid - hey, if it takes a quart, it takes a quart. The stuff is cheap. Make sure to give the tailgating driver a chipper wave once the cleaning process is finished.

Prism

Know exactly what you mean. I drive early morning and try to get done before morn. rush hour. It’s still dark so I slowdown a bit, flip the mirror up and take a sip of coffee. This shows the tailgater they aren’t bothering me and I’m used to people like them. Works almost every time and they either back off or get ahead of me.

LyftNewbie10

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If it happens more, than once or twice, that means, that you're driving too slow.
No it means there aggressive/crazy/psychotic drivers on the road. You are part of the problem. :wink:

I get out of the lane ASAP. Jerks How is my home state?
More mellow the NYC metro area (my home) and Los Angeles. :wink:

It's a great time to use your rear window washer, if your vehicle is so equipped. It's important to have clean windows, so don't scrimp on the washer fluid - hey, if it takes a quart, it takes a quart. The stuff is cheap. Make sure to give the tailgating driver a chipper wave once the cleaning process is finished.
I wish I had a rear window washer. :biggrin:

Not necessarily, when they're going 110 in a 65 with 5 lanes, they literally CAN come out of nowhere.
Yes, I agree. Thank you.

In Phoenix, they don't care what lane you're in. They expect you to GTF out of their way when they're humping your bumper.
:O Those a_holes just ruined Glen Campbell's song.

Cdub2k

Eventually they'll be spattered all over the freeway slowing down traffic while emergency workers scrap their corpse up off the pavement.
Just try not to be the one they take down with them

I kindly move over when I see one of them quickly approaching me from the rear. I don't want to be in that accident with them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B London 14
Nonya busy Advice 16
B Advice 10