1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How to get NJ Limo "OL" Plates...if you have to ask you are not getting them...

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by NJDriver, Sep 10, 2015.

1. NJDriver

NJDriver

This question keeps coming up in this forum and its usually asked by the same people time and time again. Look, if you have to ask how to get "Limousine" plates in New Jersey you will not be getting them. Lets say you want to be totally "legal" in New Jersey than you would not only have to get the Limo plates but you also need to get that specific towns permission to operate. There are so many townships in NJ that it would be impossible to get permission from every single town.

Just in case you are still curious here is exactly what you need to do to get the NJ Limousine plates at the NJ MVC:

njlimoplates.jpg

I guess if rounding up all the paperwork is not an issue for you than the next biggest issue is getting a municipality on-board with you. Here is a link from the Morristown:
    http://www.townofmorristown.org/ind...78D5-36DC-4FA1-94DA-7E5F8ED84080&Type=B_BASIC

Read Morristown's requirements and go to the fineprint at the bottom. They havent granted any new licenses since July 2005. Many townships simply will not give you a license.

Now lets say you got the municipality on-board and rounded up all the various paperwork. What about insurance?

Westfield Limo, a 3 car operation, pays $10,000 per car per year according to this message thread.

http://www.limousinesonline.com/showthread.php?13849-Your-average-cost-of-insurance-per-limo

So lets say the NJ MVC finally mails you your new "OL" Limousine plates. You can only legally operate in the municipality which allows you to do so. So, you cant legally cruise around Hoboken, Sea Girt or Newark Airport picking up without that city's blessing or their own permit.

If you want to pickup in New York City with NJ Limousine plates you still have to go through the NYC T&LC process to get the "Diamond Stickers".

So there you go to quiet all those guys with the question of how to get NJ Limousine plates. Its not easy and will most likely take several months if you try. If you are successful you have to pony up at least 10,000 per car per year. Even when you have the plates in hand, it doesnt mean you can operate legally everywhere in NJ, but only in the townships which allow you to do so.

So the conclusion is you will continue to cruise around with regular Jersey plates...unless you are in the business and know exactly what you are doing...you are not getting Limousine plates. In any event, the Limo business is dieing in NJ. Its useless to try. The guy you see with Limousine plates is probably hurting and if he is not he probably has a plan and experienced in the biz...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  2. TaylorHamNCheez

TaylorHamNCheez

Driving:
    Lyft
    Thanks for helping. It just gets a little confusing sometimes & was hoping there was a simple solution.

3. NJDriver

NJDriver

Something to else to understand is that while you might not be legal as an Uber, those limo companies handing over bribes to politicians and police chiefs are not exactly legal either or at least the bribes are not legal. NJ is a corrupt place where the law is a certain way for a reason. Like at the airport, we all know someone high up in the Port Authority is on the take with the yellow cabs that operate there. Someone should investigate that and sometimes they do...that "someone" is called the FBI and they are investigating the Port Authority right now over bridgegate. Notice how the CEO of United decided to check out...

Nagodesi likes this.
  4. BlackStallion

BlackStallion

Driving:
    UberX
    yea, there is a lot of controversy regarding the PA. Most NJ Politicians are known corrupts but it is difficult to bring them to justice, like Christy himself... Anyways, I had a question.

I assume that if you do get a NYC TLC (plates, registration, etc) you are able to operate anywhere in NJ, is this correct?

Pandeho likes this.
  5. NJDriver

NJDriver

Yes, you can but not legally. Any cop can pull you over and give you a ticket if they see you picking up, but they rarely do. Ive heard that Port Authority cops respect the TLC plates in Newark Airport. Ive seen them pick up in front of cops and my buddy says they dont bother him. Others on this forum say they do care.

The only way to be legal is if you have OL Limo plates and a permit for the town you are picking up in if they require one. In reality many limo and taxi companies pickup whenever and wherever they can.

Anyway if you drive Uber in NJ you will get pulled over eventually. Uber has a great attorney who goes to court for them every day. Just be cool to the cops, take the ticket and hand it off to the lawyer.

6. I'm calling bull**** on the "only operate in the town you have license in".

For a taxi, yes. Different for limo. You need to have the base office operation out of the town, but you can pickup outside of that.

TatiCsoul likes this.
  7. That what i mean it say if you called me i can pick you up anywhrre and uber is like a taxi base right

8. I looked into this as well prior to my TLC, and you are right, you must be registered and insured where the company is based of course, that goes without saying, and you can pick up anywhere within the vicinity and jurasdiction of that municipality, and drop anywhere in the country. Picking up though is the tricky part. The only problem I see is picking up in key areas, and by key areas I mean lobbied areas, also known as paid off areas due to the high demand. I see OL plates all over the EWR, and it is highly doubtful they are all registered in Newark, highly doubtful. Had the insurance been cheaper I might have gone that route, I was quoted approximately $6,500.00, annually...

9. #10 thru #13 are not needed if you are a single car operating out of your home. You need to domicile your vehicle with the town you live in. Limousines can go point to point anywhere in NJ with a booked reservation. Limousines can NOT take "street hails" anywhere in NJ without municipal, or Port Authority authorization.

10. Tula Dave

Tula Dave

And 1 - 9 are really not that hard. The big obstacle is the commercial insurance. Easy to get - hard to pay for.

11. Uber-licious

Uber-licious

Driving:
    UberX

FYI, regarding the town licenses. If you plan on working in Red Bank, they require a Town Taxi Permit just like a cab driver

12. Michael Sotomayor

Michael Sotomayor

Driving:
    UberXL
    Why do people say that? man If i get a quote that's lets say 8,000 a year I would hop on board.. Cuz some of these OL plate drivers with TLC licenses are making that amount in a month or less.. ... ... ... SO yes let me get my OL plates!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  13. Yo, Marty McFly...get back to the future!

Unless you're with a high end company driving that has acounts with corporateAmerica ....the OL guys are losing money!

McLovin likes this.
  14. Michael Sotomayor

Michael Sotomayor

Driving:
    UberXL
    Personally I haven't seen this happen but in NYC I've seen check stubs from a couple friends. A buddy that works mostly from Uber makes $500 minimum daily. A couple guys that work in NYC make a minimum of $8,000 monthly.. is this consistent like i said Personally I haven't done it, yet. But I've seen their paycheck stubs.. Maybe in NJ i've worked in limo companies without my own car.. man these companies are dying.

15. The problem with gettin OL plates is no one is writing the insurance for it for new businesses in NJ

16. JimmyJ

JimmyJ

Regarding this comment - the idea of a limo company is not to cruise around looking for passengers - the concept is to have a " prearranged ride / reservation ".

I have operated a limo company in NJ for more than 25 years - you need to be licensed from a city of your choice ( your base ) and you can pick up and drop off passengers in any city in NJ AS LONG AS THE RIDE IS PREARRANGED- no street hails. Also, you are permitted to pick up in NJ and legally drop them off in NYC as long as you can prove your trip started in NJ.

The hardest part of setting up a legal limo company in NJ is getting approval from a municipality. Most cities don't allow people to legally operate businesses out of their homes so this requires you to rent commercial space.

As far as insurance goes - there are plenty of companies out there that will write new operators polices - just go to one of the Limo Shows - there are dozens of guys out there hungry for new business. The Atlantic City show is in November and the Las Vegas Show starts next week.

Finally, I'm in my 26th year of business and have managed to grow every year - the guys that don't adapt are going out of business. The guys that run a black car business ( corporate and airport rides are hurting ). Some of these black car guys are just yellow cabs painted black IMHO. I run a true chauffeured limo company. Also, I really don't see Uber as competition to my business because I'm not interested in serving a customer base that's looking for the cheapest ride around. The business model of low margin and high volume isn't for me - it's not a formula for success for a car owner, again that's my opinion. The high volume / low profit margin works for Uber because they're not beating up their cars.

17. IDOPKGS

IDOPKGS

Driving:
    UberX
    You can't get your town to approve. You can't get insurance. You can't get insurance on the car you own, it has to be a pimp car like a 300, Escalade, Tahoe. Honestly this state of NJ is a joke.

18. Jimmy J. I'm interested in going "legit" and start my limo/black car business. Do you know any sites/books/videos, etc I can go to learn more about this business? Would you be interested in mentoring?