1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How To Get Deactivated In a Few Easy Steps

Discussion in 'Advice' started by DrivingForYou, Apr 14, 2018.

1. DrivingForYou

DrivingForYou

Driving:
    Lyft
    So, as I have learned recently, Uber does not care if you are a complete professional and providing excellent service. They simply consider drivers to be meat puppets, easily replaced by any other warm body. They don't care if you've been an excellent brand ambassador. You are just a bug in their eyes.

I have now discussed the issues of LAX deactivation both with in person and text support, and also with several drivers, and have been able to determine some of the various secret rules, and will also discuss many seemingly innocent activities that will trigger flags that lead to deactivation, either at the airport, instant pay, or complete deactivation.

I do not know how many total or different flags need to be set in order to cause a deactivation event, but it would seem that the number is very low when associated with an airport.

SPECIFIC ACTIVITIES THAT SET FLAGS

Some of these should be common sense, as they are obviously fraud. Others have many innocent causes, yet appear to set flags nonetheless. This is by no means a complete list, but it is all the information I have gathered to date:

Since Uber is unwilling to educate drivers on specific activities - many of which seem innocent - I offer this as a precautionary list. This is mainly intended to cover those things that are not fully spelled out by Uber as prohibited, i.e. the "secret rules".

LOCATION FRAUD
    • Spoofing location using a hack or GPS spoofing app, this is obvious fraud and only a criminal does this.
    • Disabling GPS or Location Services while Uber app is open, even in background. Note that if you OPEN the app even without going online it will sense GPS is off and flag. Note also, never install the Uber Driver app on a device with no real GPS, it will also detect this and treat it as fraud.
    • Going into AIRPLANE MODE while online with Uber, especially if in a queue. Even if you have connectivity problems and support suggests airplane mode, be cautious. Airplane mode sets a flag.
    ONLINE MODE/SURGE FRAUD:
    • Going online when a surge starts
    • Going offline when a surge ends
    • Doing either of these while anywhere in an airport assignment area is especially bad, meaning the entire area, not just the holding lot. This is particularly troublesome for drivers as Uber does not even show the queue area on the app, and some airports like SNA the queue is all over the place.
    • Being online but not accepting rides. While Uber publicly states that drivers won't be deactivated for not accepting rides, if you keep going online but hitting no thanks till you get a ride you want, it's considered gaming fraud, alternately referred to as "being online for a purpose other than accepting a ride". It does not matter if you "intend" to accept a ride at some point. And again, while you might not be deactivated SOLELY for this, it's a flag that, in connection with other flags, will lead to an audit and deactivation.
    CANCELATION/QUEUE FRAUD:
    • If you accept the third ping (after saying no thanks to the two previous pings) and then cancel, THIS IS A HUGE RED FLAG. Never ever do this, even if you accepted by accident. Especially in a queue. If you accept the third ping to avoid getting a timeout and kicked offline, and then cancel that ride, then bingo you hit the red flag jackpot.
    • Accepting then not moving, waiting for a cancel by the system or passenger
    • Accepting then calling the passenger and asking for a cancel, especially if you ask destination - note that in this case the passenger may become suitably annoyed to file a complaint with support, and this will trigger an audit of your account.
    • All cancellations count against you, including No Shows. Use extreme caution when cancelling.
    • Canceling as a no show after the 5 minute UberX timer has fully elapsed counts against you the smallest amount, but too many of these can STILL lead to deactivation.
    • Cancelling for any other reason including "do not charge rider" count against you more. I personally used this when I have an app problem, such as when I hit no thanks but the ride is accepted anyway, or when I accept a surge ride but the information screen shows its not actually a surge. Doesn't matter your intent. Cancellations other than No Show after the 5 minute timer, count against you in a bad way.

INNOCENT MISTAKES

I never do ANY fraud, and in fact have been a vocal opponent of dishonest drivers here and elsewhere. BUT

It should be obvious to experienced drivers that there are plenty of innocent reasons for most of these issues that raise flags. The fact that Uber keeps these specific acts secret, and then just deactivates drivers with no warning, nor explanation, nor probation or opportunity to explain just shows what a totally corrupt and uncaring organization they are. Take heed. They don't care how good of a driver you are so long as you are above a 4.6. They know they have plenty of ants, and they don't care about customer service (as evidenced by the many passengers I take that tell me the horror stories they encountered with other drivers).

SOME THINGS I DID

As I went over my thoughts of the last few months trying to figure out what/how I caused flags and became deactivated at LAX, these are what I can think of, which I thought innocent or at least seemed so:

1) I bought a Kindle FIRE tablet, because it was cheap - it has no built in GPS, nevertheless I installed the Uber Driver app so I could review my earnings on a larger screen than my phone. BAD IDEA. I discovered this was a bad idea TODAY, when I heard that the new app was available on Android and I wanted to look at it... Well I tried to open my Uber Driver app on the Kindle and BAMMMO I get this "UNAUTHORIZED" message and suddenly the app quits, then I look on my phone and I have a new message for support that my InstantPay is deactivated.

WOW. Okay, so do not EVER install the app on a machine with no GPS, and Never ever turn off location services.

2) After doing the rush hour quest, I'd head to LAX. I'd get in queue, usually on 96th st, and wait. If the surge ended before I got a ride, I'd go off line and head to Carls or McDonalds and take a meal break. I'd usually do the drive thru and go back to 96th st and eat. While on this break if I saw a surge forming I'd go online, finish my dinner quicky and prepare for a ride.

Well, UBER calls this surge gaming. They seem too feel that they alone can say when you can or cannot go online or offline. If you go online when it's surging, or go offline when it isn't, even if it's to take a break, you are breaking one of their precious secret rules. A rule I might add that is not listed anywhere in the TOS.

This goes for bathroom breaks as well.

2b) ALSO, I'd be online with Lyft, see that Uber started to surge, and then go online with Uber. Despite the fact that we are supposed to be able to use both platforms, still the fact remains that if you go online while it is surging, they flag it as surge gaming. Period.

2c) I'm not sure how this plays into not accepting ride after ride, as after three pings you get kicked offline. Then you'll go back online. I imagine this causes a lot of flags too. Sometimes I'd say no thanks to a dozen rides. Pool. 4.1 rating. 25 minutes to terminal at base rate. How is any self respecting driver supposed to accept **** rides like those?

3) As I mentioned above, there are certainly legitimate reasons to cancel a ride the than a No Show. As far as I'm concerned if I hit No Thanks, but the Uber app shoves a bad ride down my throat, I have every right to cancel. Such incidents include seeing an UberX ride, but then on the info screen seeing it is actually Pool, or seeing a surge, and then seeing it is actually not surge. Or even hitting accept by accident, if you cancel immediately it should be no harm/no foul.

There is an occasion where I accidentally accepted a rider on a third ping, but on the info screen I saw they were a 4.2, not a 4.7 that I thought - so I cancelled. I got another ride from a. 4.9 within seconds and I completed that one.

An innocent mistake? As far as Uber is concerned I'm the arch enemy. Hardly a "partner".

4) Taking the fastest route. As an extreme example, I had a ride from Santa Monica to Hollywood at 10PM on a Friday. The Uber app showed surface streets the whole way and a 54 minute trip. I know LA, and the Google Maps showed 405-101 was clear and faster, so I took that route and got the passenger there in 34 minutes. Literally saving 20 minutes of trip time. There was no fare recalculation, and because of a boost uber actually was -14 cents on the ride. The passenger was thrilled to be there so fast, I was thrilled to have been paid a bit more. Uber ws less thrilled I suppose.

The real problem though is with the way Uber handles routes and the upfront pricing scam they use with passengers.​

ADDENDUM

Uber meanwhile is over-charging passengers and scamming THEM. Here is the best illustration:

One morning at 10AM I got a ping from a Hollywood hotel. I took them to LAX using the standard 101-110 express-105 route. Then at LAX I got a rematch BACK TO THE SAME HOTEL. Well, I took the same route back - 105-110 express-101.

Both trips were the same distance and time.
    I got paid the same $22 on both trips.
    On the one TO LAX, the passenger paid $31.
    On the one FROM LAX the passenger paid $42.
    Where's the fraud? Oh, it's Uber...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  2. Jeez where you get this info

3. OCJarvis

OCJarvis

Featured Thread!!!!

4. DrivingForYou

DrivingForYou

Driving:
    Lyft
    Discussions with support, discussions with other drivers, reviewing my trip history, etc.

And as stated, I've never done anything that any reasonable person would consider wrong. But some secret rules are easy to break accidentally.

Sydney Uber, TedJ, socallaoc and 5 others like this.
  5. Adieu

Adieu

Driving:
    UberXL

EVERYONE i know has done all of these things except fake GPS, and about 50% have tried fake GPS apps

Most of these people are still LAX surging today...

The ONLY thing I've known people to do differently is NOT using "no thanks", it is generally believed that:

1) during non-surge pingage, creating any and ALL delays is highly preferable (plus most people avoid getting pinged without surge in one way or another)
    2) during surge, it is DOUBLY necessary to create any and ALL possible delays (until you get a desirable ping), the hope here is that it extends the surge by leaving more paxholes hanging

PS ...are you SURE you didn't by chance get a highly lucrative job offer for a salaried position at one Raiser LLC??

Kinda sounds like you're pushing the party line, HARD... just via intimidation rather than koolaid.

Also, it is JUST lax deactivation, and for non-XL/Select types, Uber @ LAX w/o surge gaming is supremely pointless, so the recommendation seems to be "keep doing what you're doing....if it happens, oh well, surge in - Lyft out it is"

And if you didn't, well, sounds like you caught some rando complaint possibly not even aimed at you by a disgruntled paxhole, and got the short straw, courtesy of a bot or a Rajeev with a quota to deactivate

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    JoeD16, USMCX, Shynrix and 9 others like this.
  6. DrivingForYou

DrivingForYou

Driving:
    Lyft

No dude, I don't work for Raiser/Uber. I have just been tying to figure out how or why I got deactivated from LAX.

I am guessing that they are cracking down harder at the moment. Several other drivers got surprise deactivations who don't know tricks. And to be clear I do not do the things listed, only those I mention in my "innocent mistakes" section.

I do not work for Uber, and at the moment I consider them a completely contemptible organization. They are letting people blatantly cheat the system and deactivate me for no reason they will tell me.

TedJ, Karl Marx, MoreTips and 4 others like this.
  7. Adieu

Adieu

Driving:
    UberXL
    Ok, I feel you... been there done that got the Tshirt(s)

Just saying, in that case recommend that people do Uber In / Lyft Out for a week or two... but don't tell em to abandon doing the ONLY things that make LAX worthwhile

PS btw, regarding going offline in queue area: that's BS, because most people in the assignment area have TWO apps, and Lyft pings faster because they suppress harder and there's more base getting turned down for the umpteenth time bouncing around... so PLENTY of ants go offline on Fuber and march off to pick up Lyft trash

Ant-Man and sissypower like this.
  8. DrivingForYou

DrivingForYou

Driving:
    Lyft
    Yes, and I told support exactly this as I go online/offline with lyft, back and forth. She stated in no uncertain terms that if you go online when it is surging and go offline when it is not, it is flagged as surge gaming. switching between Lyft or not is irrelevant.

Stationary Breeze likes this.
  9. Adieu

Adieu

Driving:
    UberXL
    Well small wonder it surges so much, if they're trying so damn hard to NOT have available drivers (by excluding or firing them)

PS are you sure she wasn't just talking out of her azz?? Maybe she really has no clue and doesn't FEEL like bothering to find out

dennis09, MoreTips, Ski Free and 2 others like this.
  10. 666cartman666

666cartman666

Driving:
    UberX
    I don't think that there's fraud either way.

What Uber does to pax at LAX is more like profiteering or price gouging. What Uber does to X drivers at LAX is more like bait and switch (show high surge and take it away) and if you're not stupid enough to fall for it, you get deactivated.

IMO, Uber is worse now than in the TK era. We didn't get tips in the TK era, but Uber saw the tips and realized that people were tipping, and Uber could charge more via upfront pricing. Usually, the only times I get tips are when I clean up a mess a passenger made, or give them some bartender-like advice that is appreciated, or someone uses some bags that I keep around for vomit. They're usually not for a freaking gratuity.

11. DrivingForYou

DrivingForYou

Driving:
    Lyft
    This particular rep has been there 4 years. Dunno, but I assume she it reiterating policy.

powmoe likes this.
  12. Adieu

Adieu

Driving:
    UberXL
    It's Uber & Lyft policy to intimidate ants into taking base rides whenever the opportunity arises...

So she IS following policy. To spook you and hopefully you tell all your buddies...

13. DrivingForYou

DrivingForYou

Driving:
    Lyft
    Believe me, I don't care anymore - I am reporting all this because I lost LAX pickups with no warning and no recourse. I'm pissed.

LA_Native and WonderLeeWoman like this.
  14. yomomma

yomomma

Driving:
    UberX
    It is not base rides they want you to take; they don't want drivers hanging out gaming the surge or shooting the ****.

They want you to go in, take the ping and go out...next.

MoreTips and Ant-Man like this.
  15. uberist

uberist

Driving:
    UberX
    And look how you were rewarded for you honesty.

And look how you were rewarded for you honesty.

16. Fuber101

Fuber101

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    How long have you been a driver? I’ve been a driver for over 3 years and I know they don’t like when I do most of the things on your list but haven’t been deactivated. I’ve been deactivated 3 times for cancelations, I was pissed and did a ridiculous amount of canceling for 3 weeks when uber was first screwing with the surge... anyway, my point is, I wounder if uber screws with newer drivers because of the newer user agreements.

17. DrivingForYou

DrivingForYou

Driving:
    Lyft
    Maybe. I've been on Uber for 6 months and 1,600 rides. On Lyft longer and 1,200 rides there. Never had any problems on Lyft.

You say you were deactivated three times? How did you get REactivated??

MoreTips likes this.
  18. yomomma

yomomma

Driving:
    UberX
    Keep doing what you are doing at LAX and you will get deactivated. It seems pretty clear to me that LAX is too dangerous to play games.

Uber's Guber likes this.
  19. Uber7654

Uber7654

Driving:
    UberX
    If going on and offline is fraud almost everyone should be deactivated. They created the surge game. We are just playing the game. Smh

Skinny1, Rickshaw, dennis09 and 16 others like this.
  20. Slim Shady

Slim Shady

Well...if Uber is defending a dynamic pricing model then they can't and shouldn't blame the driver APPLYING that dynamic to their business model.

If we are independent contractors, we should have the freedom to choose the price range we are willing to work.

In the end, Uber is the one who is doing the arbitrage here and it's to our will to take it or leave it, meaning declining or going offline.

If a customer rep is telling me that Uber can do this but we cannot, then it deems another employee vs an ic lawsuit.

Also, I would lawyer up and subpoena them if I were you. They may not tell you why, but they will have to if a lawyer demands it.

At least, not stating any reason to deactivate your access to LAX is borderline illegal.

Rickshaw, Rakos, UbingInLA and 3 others like this.