• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How to deal with inappropriate passenger behavior?

Have you had to kick a passenger out of your car?

• Total voters

Steve--Chicago

Has anyone had to stop a ride and ask a passenger to leave due to their behavior? I had an incident tonight where two male passengers, both of whom were intoxicated, acted in a manner which made me fear for my own personal safety and the safety of my vehicle. I had to pull over and ask them to leave, and it got very scary very quickly, with one of the passengers refusing to exit the vehicle and my having to threaten to call the police if he did not exit. I immediately drove home and reported the incident to Uber, but in researching the Uber FAQs, I could not find any reference to any policy regarding incidents like this, nor do I recall anything of this nature being mentioned in the training videos.

I drive for Lyft as well -- they are very clear that drivers do not have to take passengers who are inappropriate or who make them feel uncomfortable, and that they can end a ride if they feel a passenger is behaving in such a manner. Is there any official Uber policy with regard how drivers should deal with such passengers? How have drivers on this forum dealt with such passengers? Have any drivers on this forum had to ask a rider to leave their vehicle, or have you heard of such an incident happening to other drivers?

Nautilis

I had an incident tonight where two male passengers, both of whom were intoxicated, acted in a manner which made me fear for my own personal safety and the safety of my vehicle.
We should all take our safety seriously. Never let earning money or the worry of our rating get in the way of doing what you need to do to be safe. Mind me asking what they did to cause you to throw them out?

Steve--Chicago

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks very much for your replies. JustSomeGuy, what was Uber's response when you notified them of your incident?

I reread the Raiser Software Sublicense Agreement, which Uber drivers must agree to, to see what Uber's policy was with regard to dealing with unruly or threatening passengers. I found very little. The relevant passages I quote below (bold added for emphasis):

You shall be entitled to accept, reject, and select among the Requests received via the Service. You shall
have no obligation to the Company to accept any Request. Following acceptance of a Request, however,
you must perform the Request in accordance with the User’s specifications.
Failure to provide promised
services on an accepted Request shall constitute a material breach of this Agreement, and may subject
you to damages.
and:

You understand that for liability reasons, all Users should be transported directly to their
specified destination, as directed by User, without unauthorized interruption or unauthorized
stops.

The language seems to be very clear with regard to taking Users to their destination, and I cannot find any exceptions listed in the agreement in the event of inappropriate or threatening behavior by the User. I did find this passage:

The Company shall have no right to, and shall not, control the manner or prescribe the
method you use to perform accepted Requests
, subject to the terms of this Agreement. You shall
be solely responsible for determining the most effective, efficient and safe manner to perform the
services relating to each Request
, subject to the terms of this Agreement and the applicable User
specifications.
The agreement also lists a series of actions which would constitute a "material breach" of the agreement, one of which is "Your refusal to fully complete Request after acceptance without waiver by the User or the Company." What is interesting, however, is that another action that is listed as an action which would constitute a "material breach" relates to driver conduct: "Documented complaint by a User that you and/or your employee or subcontractor engaged in conduct that a reasonable person would find physically threatening, highly offensive or harassing." However, there are no such provisions that I could find with regard to what a driver should do in the event that there is a User who is engaged in such conduct.

kalo

Can't remember now where I read about it, but seems I read that in no uncertain terms we can end a ride any time there is any sort of problem. Was it just in the new CPUC safety info? Let me find it..

Edit: Uber partners and drivers support and FAQ seems to be down. Click the link and one just gets returned to the dashboard. Uberrrr... :s

Oc_DriverX

I am in OC, CA. Today, after I updated my software, I was required to agree to review a driver training program mandated by the California Public Utilities Commission.

Here is the link from my dashboard:
https://uber-regulatory-documents.s3.amazonaws.com/city/orange_county/p2p/CPUC-Required Safety Document.pdf

In that document is the following section:
"You may request that your client refrain from any unsafe or illegal activity. If
your client does not comply with polite and reasonable requests, you can end the trip and drop your client at the nearest safe location. Contact Uber to explain what happened."

kalo

I'm sure I've seen it elsewhere too, but this is from the CPUC info we in California just needed to sign off on today. See 4th
**********************************************************************************
Keeping Your Client Safe

In order to comply with the law and to ensure that users of the Uber app
have a safe experience:

• Never execute an illegal or unsafe U turn to pick up or drop off your client.

• When picking up or dropping off your client, find a safe, convenient location.
Never stop in traffic or at a red zone.

• If you use navigation, minimize distraction. Input destination only while the
car is stopped.

• You may request that your client refrain from any unsafe or illegal activity. If
your client does not comply with polite and reasonable requests, you can end 3
the trip and drop your client at the nearest safe location. Contact Uber to
explain what happened.

TomNashville

I ejected 5 people from my vehicle once. I had picked up 2 girls, started the ride, and then 2 more girls and a guy jumped in. I explained that there were only 4 seats available, and the guy tried to tell me, "no dude, it's cool". After about a minute of explaining that it's not cool, I ended the ride. I hadn't even put the car in drive. I told the riders that the fee would be refunded and I needed them to get out of my car. They asked "what do you mean? ", I said, "I mean goodbye". That's when the guy started to really piss me off. He told me to watch my mouth (keep in mind that up to that point, I had remained very calm, professional and hadn't dropped even one swear word). That brought the sailor out in me (I spent 7 years in the Navy). I finally got them out of my vehicle after cussing dude out and threatening to shoot him in the head and call the cops to cart away his body. Afterwards I emailed uber and got the fare turned into a cancelation and user account deactivated.

Steve--Chicago

We should all take our safety seriously. Never let earning money or the worry of our rating get in the way of doing what you need to do to be safe. Mind me asking what they did to cause you to throw them out?
Thank you, Nautilis, for your support. As far as what happened, to make a long story short, I picked up two young men in front of a bar. One of them was very intoxicated and belligerent -- he had been arguing with a security man outside my car just before coming in. He provided me with unclear and confusing directions, and became upset when I couldn't understand him. He was banging his hand against my window and making crude sexual comments about women on the street. I asked him politely to calm down and stop hitting my window. I was becoming quite worried, and became so distracted by this rider that I made a wrong turn on a street, which caused him to shout at me and bang on my window again, at which point I pulled over and asked them to leave. Then the other man became belligerent, yelling at me and telling me that he did nothing wrong, accused me of trying to "rip him off", and refusing to get out of my car. I kept calm and told him that I would contact Uber to make sure he wasn't charged for the trip, but that didn't satisfy him, as he continued to go on about how he was a regular Uber rider and that he didn't do anything wrong. I warned him that I would be forced to call the police if he did not exit my vehicle, and I finally called 911 after several warnings. Finally, he exited the vehicle and I drove away. It was a frightening incident, and I hope I never have to go through that again. It has also made me reconsider whether I should drive at night anymore, or at least whether I should drive at night in this particular area. It is an area of Chicago that has a frat-house atmosphere and is known for attracting large numbers of young, rowdy men who are often intoxicated and ill-mannered. I have taken men to that area before during the day, but this was the first (and probably last) time I will pick someone up from there at night. I can handle intoxicated men, but being both intoxicated and belligerent is a really dangerous mix. I really don't want to have to deal with men like that again.

Steve--Chicago

I received a response from Uber last night, and it was very supportive. It said that they do not tolerate this behavior, and they assured me that they are taking appropriate action with the rider. I was also told that I should never have to deal with that type of behavior, and that they valued their partnership with me. I was impressed and encouraged by the response.

kalo

Kick 'em out, call the police if you feel threatened, send us a ticket. The end. :V
Farlance. You work for Uber.. I'd be careful with your responses here. Do you think that would be Ubers "official" response.. Kick 'em out?? I highly doubt it. It could be a very dangerous situation for the driver and Uber should present well thought out ideas how to handle this type of situation. I think i read that the job of Taxi driver has the second highest homicide rate while on the job.

Steve--Chicago

It could be a very dangerous situation for the driver and Uber should present well thought out ideas how to handle this type of situation.
I agree that Uber should provide some specific guidance as to what a driver should do when encountering such passengers.

I queried the Midwest Community Regional Manager about this, and mentioned the language in the California Public Utilities Commission document that was posted in this forum with regard to what drivers should do if they encounter an unruly or dangerous rider. Her response is as follows:

As for the text you provided from the California Public Utilities Commission, I would say that this fully applies to Uber in Chicago. If at a time a rider is making you feel unsafe and you inherently uncomfortable and disrespected on your trip, it is within your full right to end the trip and ask the rider to get out. Again, please follow up with us in these situations so we can follow up with the rider appropriately. We never want riders or drivers to be treating each other with disrespect on the system, and never want drivers to feel unsafe because of a rider's actions.
While I am very pleased with Uber's handling of this situation so far, I wonder why this policy isn't posted in the FAQ or in training materials. At the very least, drivers should know what to do when encountering rude, belligerent, or dangerous passengers.

vudu145

I ejected 5 people from my vehicle once. I had picked up 2 girls, started the ride, and then 2 more girls and a guy jumped in. I explained that there were only 4 seats available, and the guy tried to tell me, "no dude, it's cool". After about a minute of explaining that it's not cool, I ended the ride. I hadn't even put the car in drive. I told the riders that the fee would be refunded and I needed them to get out of my car. They asked "what do you mean? ", I said, "I mean goodbye". That's when the guy started to really piss me off. He told me to watch my mouth (keep in mind that up to that point, I had remained very calm, professional and hadn't dropped even one swear word). That brought the sailor out in me (I spent 7 years in the Navy). I finally got them out of my vehicle after cussing dude out and threatening to shoot him in the head and call the cops to cart away his body. Afterwards I emailed uber and got the fare turned into a cancelation and user account deactivated.
I think its reasonable that you yelled at him but being in the from the military you should know what professionalism is and threatening to shoot someone in the head is not that. Unless he threatened your life first.

TomNashville

I think its reasonable that you yelled at him but being in the from the military you should know what professionalism is and threatening to shoot someone in the head is not that. Unless he threatened your life first.
After the ride was ended, I am no longer acting on behalf of Uber. Professionalism is a courtesy that I don't provide drunk assholes who won't leave my vehicle, especially when I am not being compensated for my time. I was actually well within my legal right to shoot him at that point because after several orders to leave my personal property, he refused and I was outnumbered 5-to-1, that constitutes a threat and in Tennessee, we have Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground laws in effect.

kalo

After the ride was ended, I am no longer acting on behalf of Uber. Professionalism is a courtesy that I don't provide drunk assholes who won't leave my vehicle, especially when I am not being compensated for my time. I was actually well within my legal right to shoot him at that point because after several orders to leave my personal property, he refused and I was outnumbered 5-to-1, that constitutes a threat and in Tennessee, we have Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground laws in effect.
You might be a bit overboard on this one. Sounds as if you might have a gun in your car?

TomNashville

You might be a bit overboard on this one. Sounds as if you might have a gun in your car?
You must drive in California. You see, in most of the rest of the states, concealed carry is basically a right. In Tennessee, a law just passed as of 7/1 that says I don't even need a CCP to legally carry one in my vehicle. There are also laws on the books preventing my employer from caring whether or not I have one in my vehicle, even if parked on company property. The job we have is a dangerous one, we shuttle drunks around at all hours of the night, you are more likely than most to need to defend yourself. When and if that day comes, trust me, you would much rather be the guy with a gun than without one.

kalo

[QUOTE="TomNashville, post: 14790, member: 633 There are also laws on the books preventing my employer from caring whether or not I have one in my vehicle.[/QUOTE]
I see.. Well. I had one law enforcement officer tell me i should carry. The statistics for cab drivers are very poor. Go for it if is allowed.
PS.. i'm a little drunk.. tomorrow i might change my mind