• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How to accept/get only trips that are local

losiglow

Does anyone know a good tactic, or maybe an app, that restricts trips that are far away? I'm not talking 45+ minute trips. Obviously I can ignore those. I'm talking about even 25 minute trips. I want to stay close to a certain area and take only relatively short rides (<20 minutes). Any ideas?

Udrivevegas

Does anyone know a good tactic, or maybe an app, that restricts trips that are far away? I'm not talking 45+ minute trips. Obviously I can ignore those. I'm talking about even 25 minute trips. I want to stay close to a certain area and take only relatively short rides (<20 minutes). Any ideas?
Become an UberPro and you'll get that information before accepting trips.

SFOspeedracer

I’ve researched this, and none that I know of

Uber pro in your market by chance?

That really is your only way for pre-acceptance

reg barclay

I used to set a destination filter to somewhere local, then a add an arrival time, to do that. However, last time I tried (a month or two ago) it didn't appear to be working as well.

Gtown Driver

Basically...if you're enough of an a hole you can get anything you want done. Including what you're asking for.

If you want to do this without being an a hole, generally it's easier to do on Lyft than it is on Uber. More DFs per day and other things that you can utilize.

touberornottouber

Basically...if you're enough of an a hole you can get anything you want done. Including what you're asking for.

If you want to do this without being an a hole, generally it's easier to do on Lyft than it is on Uber. More DFs per day and other things that you can utilize.
Right. With Lyft you can hit arrive when nearby and just cancel if the destination is too far away.

SFOspeedracer

Right. With Lyft you can hit arrive when nearby and just cancel if the destination is too far away.
Yeah but it’s the cancellations that set you up for issues/deactivation ..

He’s looking for trips you can accept knowing they are short (according to his thread title at least)

losiglow

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, considered all of those.

The only other way I can think of is to call/text pax every time I get a request and inform them that I don't have time to go far away and ask that they cancel if they're not staying local. This is a single town, so "local" isn't a confusing term. It's just that trips out of town are relatively common - maybe 1/15 or so. And that's what I don't want.

I tried this last weekend and it worked surprisingly well. There were 3 or 4 that I had to cancel since they informed me that they did need to head out of town. All the others either didn't respond or (most of them) replied that they were staying local. It worked out ok but texting every time I get a request is pretty inconvenient. There was only one where I showed up, started the ride, and found out he was heading further away. I informed him that I had sent him a text but apparently he didn't read it. He was cool about it. He got out, I cancelled and he ordered another ride.

My cancellation rate is still <10% but I'm curious if anyone has gotten messages from Lyft or Uber stating that they'll get deactivated or have some other issue if they're cancellation rate is high. I've gotten a few from Lyft but it's infrequent and usually after 3-4 cancellations - which is rare.

The Gift of Fish

There is no tactic. You fall below a certain AR and your ability to see that info goes bye bye.
Looks like the Uber Geeks have an interest in Greek mythology. The trick where they give drivers the destination but take it away if they use that information to decline pings is reminiscent of the mythical Greek figure Tantalus. He was punished by Zeus by being placed in a pool of water beneath fruit vines. Whenever he reached for the fruits to eat, they withered away out of his reach, and when he tried to drink the water it drained out from beneath him before he could take a sip. This was apparently one of the worst punishments meted out by Zeus. What an A*hole!

Gtown Driver

The only other way I can think of is to call/text pax every time I get a request and inform them that I don't have time to go far away and ask that they cancel if they're not staying local. This is a single town, so "local" isn't a confusing term. It's just that trips out of town are relatively common - maybe 1/15 or so. And that's what I don't want.

I tried this last weekend and it worked surprisingly well. There were 3 or 4 that I had to cancel since they informed me that they did need to head out of town. All the others either didn't respond or (most of them) replied that they were staying local. It worked out ok but texting every time I get a request is pretty inconvenient. There was only one where I showed up, started the ride, and found out he was heading further away. I informed him that I had sent him a text but apparently he didn't read it. He was cool about it. He got out, I cancelled and he ordered another ride.
This is pretty much what you have to do. Use your personality beforehand.

That's why running both Uber and Lyft helps also, since you can use extra tools on Lyft and get more DFs. If you can use your personality and have both apps running you have a good shot of doing what you want while keeping your cancels low. It can be done on one app, just more work. Both apps running just gives you more options and more room.

IR12

My cancellation rate is still <10% but I'm curious if anyone has gotten messages from Lyft or Uber stating that they'll get deactivated or have some other issue if they're cancellation rate is high. I've gotten a few from Lyft but it's infrequent and usually after 3-4 cancellations - which is rare.
Yes, it can be done.

nutzareus

Park next to any grocery store, Target, 7-Eleven, etc.

Freddie Blimeau

Become an UberPro and you'll get that information before accepting trips.
Which is like self defeating, you know? You use that info to decline these trips you don't want. So like when you like decline too many of them & your acceptance rate goes like down, they don't tell you that shit no more & you're like back to square 1, see?

Udrivevegas

Which is like self defeating, you know? You use that info to decline these trips you don't want. So like when you like decline too many of them & your acceptance rate goes like down, they don't tell you that shit no more & you're like back to square 1, see?
No shit Sherlock. Does every post have to say /sarcasm/ so the slow people get the joke? I'm happy to do that for you next time if that's what you need. ?

Coachman

Let's say you get a 19 minute trip and you do the ride. Now what do you do? Do you set your DF back to where you started?

This must be a very tough way to try to make money.