1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

How strict is Uber really with driving record checks?

Discussion in 'Sydney' started by Zacbec, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Zacbec

Zacbec New Member

I have an old DUI from 10 yrs ago and a few other fines for things over the years. Has anyone else got through with out a perfect record?

2. MyRedUber

MyRedUber Well-Known Member

I have a couple of little blips on my driving record. The Uberite who "interviewed" me said mine was one of the cleanest he's seen.
    I don't know how low the bar is set.

Zacbec likes this.
  3. Avago

Avago Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    The few little bumps on the way may not be an issue.
    License loss because if DUI???
    Maybe the 10 years ago will consign it to the ancient history category.
    Maybe.

Zacbec likes this.
  4. uberboy77

uberboy77 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I have a friend who if a DUI post 10 years that had an issue but then applied for a HC licence which approved and was taken on board by Uber.

Zacbec likes this.
  5. Icecool

Icecool Well-Known Member

I think they only look at your last 5 years records only

Zacbec likes this.
  6. Uberelitescv1

Uberelitescv1 Active Member

If you had a DUI. Stay away from pax. You are a risk to us on the road and to your pax as well.

A leopard does not change its spots ...

You are a danger to us all.

7. uberboy77

Driving:
    UberX
    Gees I think that is a bit harsh. I have not had a DUI but I certainly don't think someone who has had one in the past and now has a good driving history should be precluded from driving for Uber. What about a high range speed charge 10 years ago? What about someone who punched a mate over kissing his girlfriend when he had just turned 18 and was charged with assault and is now 40 and a model citizen.

The world is not black and white, it's full of greys. People need look at these sorts of matters on a case by case basis and make a call.

Zacbec likes this.
  8. MyRedUber

MyRedUber Well-Known Member

In every city they've been to, Uber has actively encouraged drivers to ignore any relevant laws.
    I wouldn't be too worried about your driving history. It's just for show.

Uberelitescv1 likes this.
  9. Zacbec

Zacbec New Member

Thanks Uberboy77 ... appreciate the support :)

10. Uberelitescv1

Lol exactly. If they have hired murders and pedophiles then I think a DUI is a walk in the park ...

11. uberboy77

Driving:
    UberX
    No worries!

Accept what is, let go of what was and believe what will be. Best of luck with your application.

Zacbec likes this.
  12. Zacbec

Zacbec New Member

My very low range (3 glasses of wine) DUI was a long time ago (with some extenuating circumstances... but it still happened and I learnt my lesson). I've had a good driving history the past 10 years since. I've never been a drinker (I barely drink) and would certainly never drive if I've had a drink.
    I've never had an accident (in 20 years of driving!), am a competent, careful and good driver. Customer service is always a priority for me, as is being respectful, polite and kind to people.
    It's a shame that there are people out there who are so hostile and narrow minded ... I wonder how "pax" respond to people like that?

uberboy77 likes this.
  13. Uberelitescv1

Well I for one would feel a lot safer if you were not driving passengers around. Well atleast be honest about it and tell your pax when you pick them up. In my books whether it be 2 cups of wine or 6 shots of tequila, being over the legal limit is still being over the legal limit. No one forced you to drink and drive, did they?

14. uberboy77

Driving:
    UberX
    You certainly have a right to your opinion and a respect that. But the legal system has a system in place for "spent convictions".

A spent conviction basically limits the disclosure of previous criminal convictions, meaning that if you have committed a crime in the past, it will no longer show up on your criminal record and you don’t have to disclose it to anyone, either within Australia, or overseas. Obviously there are some exceptions such as offences against children which I support.

In Australia it is 10 years for most offences. It's there to let people who make mistakes, and we all do make them to some degree or another, have a second start at life after a decade of good behaviour in the community.

As far as I am concerned I think it is a great incentive for people to have an opportunity to have a clean break.

15. Uberelitescv1

Spent convictions does not equal clean slate. The courts can see it, the police can see it, it is just more silent. It is not an exponged record. It is still there to some degree.

Some employers are now asking if you have had any criminal convictions AND OR spent convictions in the past.

16. uberboy77

Driving:
    UberX

But it it says on the record that there are no "disclosable matters" if in excess of 10 years just like someone who doesn't have any criminal record. The employer cannot tell the difference!

They can ask you but you don't have to disclose if you except for the exceptions laid out in section 7 of the Criminal Records Act That is to protect people from close minded employers!

http://nswcourts.com.au/articles/what-is-a-spent-conviction/

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  17. TeamCruze

TeamCruze Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Everyone is breaking the law using Uber in states that has not been approved. Plus a lot are risking pax lives and financial destruction from not having proper insurance coverage.

You need to be a opened minded person driving taxis, Uber and working in the security industries. I wouldn't be having conversations to your riders about spent convictions does not equal clean slate you might find yourself getting into some serious trouble. I would recommend keeping your black and white opinions to yourself.

18. uberboy77

Driving:
    UberX
    It's important that people don't carry on like the person is a serial killer. Most people in this world aren't as saintly as they think they are. Next we will be discussing whether driver with certain religious views should be excluded for fear of radicalisation of passengers. What's joke lol!

19. TeamCruze

TeamCruze Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I was directing it at Uberelite..Anyone involved withUber is living in the Grey zone..

20. uberboy77

Driving:
    UberX
    Sorry I didn't mean to have a go, I misinterpreted.