• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How safe does driving for uber in nola feel?

bryan793

With AirBnb in every hood in New Orleans, I have picked up and dropped people off in neighborhoods that I try to avoid. Other than that, I mostly have fears that some drunk will make me kick them out which will cause an issue! But with all that... My scariest drive was with a Trump Supporter who had me take him from Metairie to the Alario Center on the Westbank! Spent almost 45 minutes with him trying to get me to support Trump. The whole time I refused and he still gave me 5 stars! I don't know why he was so surprised that a black guy would not support Trump!

UberHippyChick

Surprisingly after seven months, no. I think most criminals assume we all have dash cams and know we don't have cash so they just stay away from Uber cars. But I also have an old grandma car so I'm not an attractive target for crime anyway.
There was one time when I was driving past a house with a party and a crowd outside at 1am around Freret and Louisiana and someone had decided to stop her car blocking the street to have an argument with someone else. The street was too narrow to pass her and there were cars behind me too so I couldn't back up. After five minutes of waiting I grabbed my pepper spray and got out to ask the nearest person what was going on. It turns out it was a black fraternity event and they were very polite and apologetic about the whole scene. They got the car moved less than a minute after that. Personally, I'll take black fraternities over the traditional ones any day, those guys are usually more mature and the fraternities are way more focused on community service and education than traditional ones.

AgentX

If I was driving uber at 2am, I sure as hell wouldn't be on Louisa and North Tonti. Not blaming that driver, but there's places I won't go to after 7pm, Jefferson and Orleans. I went to Walmart in Chalmette at midnight a few weeks ago and you'd think I was racing for the Daytona 500 fast as I was driving down Claiborne and Elysian Fields.

NOLA-Uber

With AirBnb in every hood in New Orleans, I have picked up and dropped people off in neighborhoods that I try to avoid. Other than that, I mostly have fears that some drunk will make me kick them out which will cause an issue! But with all that... My scariest drive was with a Trump Supporter who had me take him from Metairie to the Alario Center on the Westbank! Spent almost 45 minutes with him trying to get me to support Trump. The whole time I refused and he still gave me 5 stars! I don't know why he was so surprised that a black guy would not support Trump!
If a rider tries to start chatting about politics, or religion, I joking tell them " Now you know that all Uber drivers have no political or religious affiliations whatsoever". I've never had a problem after saying that to them. They get the message in a nice way which will avoid a bad rating, in most cases.

I don't think you had any concerns about a Trump supporter....It's the anti-Trumpers that you have to worry about getting violent. Check out this guy,

free screen capture software

You must have taken him across the river on the CCC for it to take 45 minutes to get from Metairie to the Alario Center!

tohunt4me

Evet feel like you are in danger?
If I feel I am un safe I move.
I change my environment or situation.
I am always watchful with or without customers.

Remember,they shoot at rolling cars on the expressway here.

Never get in disputes with other drivers.

Always drive courteously.

Watch where you park and stay aware.

Be prepared.

NOLA-Uber

I agree.....the biggest concern for Uber drivers are the AirBnb pickups at night. Tourists have no idea they're renting these dumps in the worst crime areas in town. I always tell them that I would never go out after dark in this neighborhood as I drop them off.

tohunt4me

I agree.....the biggest concern for Uber drivers are the AirBnb pickups at night. Tourists have no idea they're renting these dumps in the worst crime areas in town. I always tell them that I would never go out after dark in this neighborhood as I drop them off.
It's the 14 year old on a bicycle that will get you at 3 am as you watching to make sure your customers get in the house safely.

Last edited:

stevedmc

Stuff like this is why I won't work in Nola unless there is a Lyft guarantee going on.

My typical strategy is to work my tail off until 11pm or whenever I feel it is starting to get dangerous.

Once passengers seem to be really drunk and I don't feel safe I only complete one ride an hour until 5 am or whenever my guarantee or 14 hour shift ends.

I don't want to get robbed and I don't want someone to puke in my car. Only completing one ride an hour helps reduce the risk.

tohunt4me

Surprisingly after seven months, no. I think most criminals assume we all have dash cams and know we don't have cash so they just stay away from Uber cars. But I also have an old grandma car so I'm not an attractive target for crime anyway.
There was one time when I was driving past a house with a party and a crowd outside at 1am around Freret and Louisiana and someone had decided to stop her car blocking the street to have an argument with someone else. The street was too narrow to pass her and there were cars behind me too so I couldn't back up. After five minutes of waiting I grabbed my pepper spray and got out to ask the nearest person what was going on. It turns out it was a black fraternity event and they were very polite and apologetic about the whole scene. They got the car moved less than a minute after that. Personally, I'll take black fraternities over the traditional ones any day, those guys are usually more mature and the fraternities are way more focused on community service and education than traditional ones.
P.s. black fraternities and sororities ARE traditional.
ESPECIALLY in New Orleans.
Not trying to be a smart Alec.
Just throwing it out there.

Knowledge is good.

Lot of history and heritage in New Orleans.long before the rest of the country.
I'm trying to learn more about it every day.