How reliable is the app-texting feature?

IERide

So when I send a text to a passenger via the "contact" option in the app it always goes to/thru the same phone number right? How reliable is it? Is there any change that my message would be sent to the wrong/previous passenger?

Disgusted Driver

I've never had an issue with it the 50 or 100 times I've used it but I prefer to call. I don't see the need for the text because they already got a text that you arrived which they've probably ignored. My experience is that they break your connection with the pax a few seconds after you complete a trip with them but the pax maintains the connection with you to call you for missing crap.

UberTrip

So when I send a text to a passenger via the "contact" option in the app it always goes to/thru the same phone number right? How reliable is it? Is there any change that my message would be sent to the wrong/previous passenger?
It's pretty stable and reliable as it's nothing more than a SMS to IP Telephony to SMS on the paxs side. There is a noticeable delay longer than a normal SMS directly to a number, it's about 5 seconds. The only limitations are that as soon as you get a new fare it will disassociate your connection to the previous fare. Also, the pax can call or text you as long as they don't request another fare. You on the other, hand can't contact them after 30 minutes has passed regardless if they were your last fare. You will get a message saying to much time as passed.

madUber74

Generally reliable, but I have had occasional instances where the text never goes thru or is severely delayed (several minutes). I've always credited these instances to high ride volumes making the entire system busier/slower. Or maybe the system is simply occasionally glitchy.

My fake phone # (as well as the "contact" number) changes periodically, maybe once every 3-4 months

yojimboguy

Sometimes there is a significant delay in the passenger receiving it. More than once they've received one of my texts after they're already in the car and the ride has started. But that's pretty rare.

uber702bt

I've never had a problem with it, I use that option more than the "Call" option. Usually send a..."Be there shortly" message...and 70ish% of the time get a thank you message back.