How often do you get pings for 45 min+ rides?

HobbesandCalvin

So this week I've gotten 4 pings for rides 45 min+. Granted, Sunday night was the end of spring break for Elon University, so that's 3 rides I just happened to get lucky on working RDU. Got a ride from Apex to Greensboro yesterday and was curious how often you all get pings for long rides. I've been driving on and off for the past 8 months, full time the past 2 months and rarely do I get pings for long rides.

Disgusted Driver

Pretty much never but I mostly work the late night bar crowd so the longest I would hope tp see is Raleigh to chapel hill or holly springs. With the new surge, I try to bail on those.

HobbesandCalvin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Understood, thanks for the input. I don’t mind the long rides and do pretty well with tips so I’ll keep taking them as long as it’s not surging elsewhere. I’ve been using the Ubers mostly (Select when busy) and will start switching on the Lyfts to check out their surges. For some reason, just better luck with Uber in keeping busy (pretty consistent w Lyft being hit or miss), tips & customer service (yea, I called twice and actually got the help I needed pretty quickly, I was shocked too).

RaleighUber440

The more dead miles you put on your car, the less per mile you make on each trip.

For example, let's say you get taken to East [email protected]@@@ for 100 miles. Uber pays you .53 cents a mile plus the .11 cent per minute meter (which really isn't a meter since its so cheap). But I'll be nice and say that this trip was 2 hours, so .11 X 120 minutes + .53 = $66.22. So yeah, theoretically you made $33/hr for that one ride, but now you have to dead mile it back, unless you never want to go back home. So now you drive 100 miles back. Oh, isn't that funny? $33.11/hr just turned into $16.55/hr. But worst of all, instead of making .53/mile on that trip (which still sucks btw), you now you averaged .26/mile, since Uber didn't compensate you for those 100 dead miles. If it's a 2.0X surge, than it's worth it, since you're getting paid for 2 trips in one. Oops, 2.0X doesn't exist anymore, you'll have to shift over to Lyft.

The same concept goes to accepting pings as close to you as humanly possible. The rates theoretically stay the same, but the amount of miles on your car doesn't. If you accept a ping from 10 miles away, as oppose to 1-3 miles away, your per/mile rate will dip, since Uber didn't compensate you for MOST of the 7-9 dead miles.

HobbesandCalvin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm no mathamagician either.
Here's my last trip to Greensboro for example. If I can make roughly $25/hr, not including gas, wear & tear...let's say then $20/hr, I'm still coming ahead on the long trips. Yea, I got a nice tip too which counts for a good chunk and is just bonus on top of some [email protected]@y pay.

Otherwise, unless I'm doing late night RDU runs, I won't take a ping more than 8-10 min away unless I'm heading in that direction. Too many trips around the corner or Walmart runs taught me good.

Attachments

RaleighUber440

I'm no mathamagician either.
Here's my last trip to Greensboro for example. If I can make roughly $25/hr, not including gas, wear & tear...let's say then $20/hr, I'm still coming ahead on the long trips. Yea, I got a nice tip too which counts for a good chunk and is just bonus on top of some [email protected]@y pay.

Otherwise, unless I'm doing late night RDU runs, I won't take a ping more than 8-10 min away unless I'm heading in that direction. Too many trips around the corner or Walmart runs taught me good.
That’s still well under $1.00/mile, even with a tip, not including dead miles. But hey, it’s fine with me if you like those long ones. I’ll have one less driver to compete with!! :smiles:

Idrive4Uber80

My thing with long trips, uber surge what's the multiplier? Lyft you know the primetime. I've driven a couple trips with a flat surge and rides were 20+ minutes and uber gave a little extra surge. Honestly I don't trust uber on long trips, I'm sticking with lyft primetime.

pengduck

The more dead miles you put on your car, the less per mile you make on each trip.

For example, let's say you get taken to East [email protected]@@@ for 100 miles. Uber pays you .53 cents a mile plus the .11 cent per minute meter (which really isn't a meter since its so cheap). But I'll be nice and say that this trip was 2 hours, so .11 X 120 minutes + .53 = $66.22. So yeah, theoretically you made $33/hr for that one ride, but now you have to dead mile it back, unless you never want to go back home. So now you drive 100 miles back. Oh, isn't that funny? $33.11/hr just turned into $16.55/hr. But worst of all, instead of making .53/mile on that trip (which still sucks btw), you now you averaged .26/mile, since Uber didn't compensate you for those 100 dead miles. If it's a 2.0X surge, than it's worth it, since you're getting paid for 2 trips in one. Oops, 2.0X doesn't exist anymore, you'll have to shift over to Lyft.

The same concept goes to accepting pings as close to you as humanly possible. The rates theoretically stay the same, but the amount of miles on your car doesn't. If you accept a ping from 10 miles away, as oppose to 1-3 miles away, your per/mile rate will dip, since Uber didn't compensate you for MOST of the 7-9 dead miles.
You need to divide hours by 4. Then multiply miles by .58 for car expenses. 200 x .58 = 116.00 - 66.22 = -33.68 you lost 34.00 for 4 hours work! No Thanks!