How often do you change tires?

Hell yeah !

Fulltimer friends, how often do you guys change tires. What brand tires do you think is best, smooth and reliable? Any good tire discount or promotion going on? Any idea?

Thanx

Trebor

Just get the 2nd cheapest ones. The cheapest ones wear down too fast. You will wear them down before you have a chance to get a nail, so don't worry about going expensive for tires that are off rated to do a jump off a sand dune. In 2 years of part time driving, I am about to go on my 3rd pair probably in August. The first pair, I went with the cheapest ones. The second cheapest is going to last about 30% longer.

As a general rule of thumb, the higher price you go, the more tread you will have - the more you can drive. Find a good balance between tread and price. For me, that was the second cheapest.

I go to discount tire. You can't beat their warranties. I did have a defective tire on the cheapest set that I was able to replace under warranty without any fighting.

All tires from the big box stores are basically the same. The government regulates them. So, that off brand may be just as good.

HERR_UBERMENSCH

Whenever they wear out.

Go to a local junk yard, you can get almost new tires cheap. You will have to find someone to mount and balance them though unless you get lucky and find them on rims that fit your car.

Or go to Pep Boys and get their generic Chinese made brands.

If you drive mostly in town at 40 MPH or less you really don't need anything special. Performance isn't really a concern, pax aren't paying enough for a comfortable ride, get whatever tire gives the most life for the minimum price.

Last edited:

Trebor

As for how often you need to change them? That depends on your car and the tires you have. If your hydroplaning in the rain easily and you cant go above 50mph - you probably have bald tires. You just need to check the tread depth. Its simple (in case you or someone reading does not know) Also, if you see metal sticking out of your tire, that is not a good thing. I told my father I saw metal a couple weeks before my first blowout.

JCHeights

Discount Tire is fantastic. If you take it there just ask them and they will honestly tell you where you are with tires and get the road hazard warranty. I can not tell you how many nails in tires I have had them patch. They also have the best, or close to the best prices in town. If not discount tire Costco is pretty good. Just avoid places like Pep Boys.

timberstx

I got mine today. Its been down to the indicators, so it wont pass any inspections that I need to have done this month. I settled on discount tire. If you buy a best rated tire you get a $100 visa card rebate. If you use a Discount tire credit card ( it took me 2 min to sign up ) an additional $60 visa relate card. I saved an additional $60 by waiting for the 4th of july sale. I think they have the same thing going on until the 5th. NTB has buy two get two, but you also have to buy an alignment. I am sure all the others have sales too.

Dwayne E.M.D.H. Camacho

Discount Tire is fantastic. If you take it there just ask them and they will honestly tell you where you are with tires and get the road hazard warranty. I can not tell you how many nails in tires I have had them patch. They also have the best, or close to the best prices in town. If not discount tire Costco is pretty good. Just avoid places like Pep Boys.
I've alays found NTB to be cheaper than Discount, plus they always run deals like buy 2 get 2 free or buy 3 get 1 free and Discount doesn't. Prices maybe like only $5 less than Discount, but anything's better than nothing with what we make driving.

Fuzzyelvis

I got mine today. Its been down to the indicators, so it wont pass any inspections that I need to have done this month. I settled on discount tire. If you buy a best rated tire you get a $100 visa card rebate. If you use a Discount tire credit card ( it took me 2 min to sign up ) an additional $60 visa relate card. I saved an additional $60 by waiting for the 4th of july sale. I think they have the same thing going on until the 5th. NTB has buy two get two, but you also have to buy an alignment. I am sure all the others have sales too.
Another thing to add is that with Discount you can go online, check all the reviews, and buy your tires online and make an appointment. You'll know the tires are in stock and won't have to wait in line. It was the only way I could get mom to go get new tires--I ordered them for her in Huntsville and told her it was a done deal. Otherwise she kept telling me not to spend my money (while she was driving around with bald tires). I have their credit card and at the time got $75 back plus some other discount for buying 4 at one time.

Even if you have a slow leak or suspect there's an issue, but it's not an emergency, the appointment will save a ton of time. I never just walk in to buy tires anymore.

You can also buy the warranty on tires you already own--so if you buy a new car for instance you can go buy the warranty on those tires if you want. And even if you don't have a warranty on your tires they'll do free flat repairs. I don't know if that just customers they've sold to in the past or anyone, but they've fixed flats on tires I did not buy there twice now.

timberstx

Since I did not buy my last set of tires, I found out just how easy it is to repair when you get a screw lodged in your tire. I used the same repair kit for 3 different occasions within a year.

JCHeights

I change my tires weekly with ones I find along the road.
Well done, you can make a Zilka cocktail with the scuz water you pull out of it. Bit off topic but I worked in global shipping for 15 years. One of the best run scams ever done involved used tires shipped to India. One guy, a pager and a pay phone managed to clear well over 1 mil USD with about three months work.

DriverX

I run them bald whenever possible. It never rains here so I don't need much tread and tires are expensive.

I try to time tire replacemnet with vehicle inspection so I can maximize the life. So depending on the next inspection vs tread height, I might let them go if close and hope I slide through inspection. That way I can run the shit out of them before the next inspect. Also I typically only need 2 at any given time so just move the less worn tires to the rear and put new ones on the front. or if they are balding but inspection is in 3 months let them roll son! put freshies on the day of inspection. just beware of your driving and slow down in the rain while youre riding baldies.

Kmiles

I always purchase my tires brand new and run them until they're bald.

I buy from NTB. Cooper tires. You get $100 instant rebate, so I my total plus install was $380. Then I got a $70 VISA by mail.