• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How much should a pax tip a taxi?

FormerTaxiDriver♧

There has been recent changes in Square card transactions, that can remove signatures, for it is no longer required. I went on further to update smart tipping options, and considered applying tax to the fare. There are three tip buttons that can be configure to what ever I want. It started at 15%;20;30, then custom. However, I'm seeking reasonable input with modifications. Also, which button does pax normally click without reading?

FormerTaxiDriver♧

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sellkatsell44

Middle is the default, the first on the left is when it’s not a great ride but they still were nice. Right is when it’s not an average ride and they did something that makes me want to tip max.

but truth be told I like $$ more then % esp for short rides. $10 ride and $5 tip is better then 20% of $10.

Another Uber Driver

Most people choose either twenty per-cent or "custom". When Uber Taxi was the only level of Uber on which the user could tip, there was a default setting of twenty per-cent. The customer could change the per-centage or even set a specific amount. He could also choose "zero". Since Uber implemented platform wide tipping, it has totally ruined tipping on Uber Taxi. Now, most users never tip. Part of this is because many of the older users still think that the default setting is still in effect. For the newer users of Uber Taxi, they simply do not do it because they never bother to rate.

Stevie The magic Unicorn

Most people choose either twenty per-cent or "custom". When Uber Taxi was the only level of Uber on which the user could tip, there was a default setting of twenty per-cent. The customer could change the per-centage or even set a specific amount. He could also choose "zero". Since Uber implemented platform wide tipping, it has totally ruined tipping on Uber Taxi. Now, most users never tip. Part of this is because many of the older users still think that the default setting is still in effect. For the newer users of Uber Taxi, they simply do not do it because they never bother to rate.
Never experienced the days of auto tippinn on Uber taxi.

But my Uber taxi tipping is actually kinda reliable.

If The 18 ubertaxi pings I took 7 have tipped.

Ms.Doe

There has been recent changes in Square card transactions, that can remove signatures, for it is no longer required. I went on further to update smart tipping options, and considered applying tax to the fare. There are three tip buttons that can be configure to what ever I want. It started at 15%;20;30, then custom. However, I'm seeking reasonable input with modifications. Also, which button does pax normally click without reading?
20% and up

nonononodrivethru

10%-15% standard.
Short rides $2.
Post automatically merged:

10%-15% standard.
Short rides $2.

I just can't see myself leaving a $10 tip for a $50 cab ride, sorry. I'd leave $4 on a $20 ride, though.

There's a point where you have to say would I tip my kids teacher every time I pick her up? Because a lot of these cabbies make more than your kid's teacher.

Stevie The magic Unicorn

10%-15% standard.
Short rides $2.

I just can't see myself leaving a $10 tip for a $50 cab ride, sorry. I'd leave $4 on a $20 ride, though.

There's a point where you have to say would I tip my kids teacher every time I pick her up? Because a lot of these cabbies make more than your kid's teacher.
A weekly cab rental can run $700-980 a WEEK in some cities. How much is that driver really getting.

And a lot of days my two runs to the airport (in the $50 range) could account for $100 out of the $220-$250 I generate in revenue and 80-90/ 250 miles driven.

It’s actually pretty common for a few rides to account for over half a days revenue.

Bottom 8-10 rides = $60 total
Mid 5 rides= $100 total
Top 2-3 = $100 total

This is how it can seriously break down much of the time for me. With the bottom half of rides accounting for over half my time but only 1/4 or my revenue, and my top half accounting for 1/4 or my time and 3/4 of my revenue.

nonononodrivethru

A weekly cab rental can run $700-980 a WEEK in some cities. How much is that driver really getting.

And a lot of days my two runs to the airport (in the $50 range) could account for $100 out of the $220-$250 I generate in revenue and 80-90/ 250 miles driven.

It’s actually pretty common for a few rides to account for over half a days revenue.

Bottom 8-10 rides = $60 total
Mid 5 rides= $100 total
Top 2-3 = $100 total

This is how it can seriously break down much of the time for me. With the bottom half of rides accounting for over half my time but only 1/4 or my revenue, and my top half accounting for 1/4 or my time and 3/4 of my revenue.
Anybody paying $900 a week to rent a cab is a fool. I don't tip fools for being foolish.