How Much Mobile Data Will Ride-Hail App Use Per Month?

Acura TLX

Hi all , so I drive part time for Lyft exclusively.
I would say apprx 24 hours per week average.
My phone is paid for by my “ real job” but we only get 5 GB per month. They complained that I went over. I’m not sure if it was Lyft related as I have never been careful with usage generally.
How much do you think I use as per above with Lyft running ?

Kurt Halfyard

Author
I'm a heavy phone user. I have the App on about 25h/week. I rarely exceed 3 GB / month, even with heavy personal use.
I only drive LYFT.

So, I'd say you will probably use Greater than 1GB per month, but less than 2...

Rockydrive

Data depends on what you do when you have downtime.....I have 15gigs and it’s barely enough some months. I watch videos on Facebook and does some FaceTime and looking at a little bit of naughty naughty.....I also have a habit of going on the internet to find stuff.

uber_from_the north

Stay away from those videos if you want to save data. For facebook turn off autoplay videos when scrolling on newsfeed. It makes a big difference.

I myself use a company phone for ubering. I haven’t got complaints yet on my data usage. ?

DriverMckiver

I had no probs with a 2gig Fido plan at first. That was enough for me to do p/t uber/lyft 4hours per day/4days per week, but it would run over every time Android did a self-update. Surprise!!!! Android updated and you're paying $25 more this month. Finally switched to 10gig but seldom use anywhere near that. 5 gig seems to be my sweet spot but I can't find a plan for that, anyways I'm locked into Fido until next summer. Providers have that figured and give you either a 2 gig plan or 10gig plan with nothing between.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
I had no probs with a 2gig Fido plan at first. That was enough for me to do p/t uber/lyft 4hours per day/4days per week, but it would run over every time Android did a self-update. Surprise!!!! Android updated and you're paying $25 more this month. Finally switched to 10gig but seldom use anywhere near that. 5 gig seems to be my sweet spot but I can't find a plan for that, anyways I'm locked into Fido until next summer. Providers have that figured and give you either a 2 gig plan or 10gig plan with nothing between.
Why not turn the 'updates' to Wi-Fi only? I do that with my iPhone, because apps updates can get as high as 250Mb, and Full Software Patches can exceed 1Gb! Might as well do that on wi-fi data. It also prevents the phone from grinding to a halt if it starts an update while you have the Uber/Lyft/Maps/Waze Apps on.

dmoney155

Why not turn the 'updates' to Wi-Fi only? I do that with my iPhone, because apps updates can get as high as 250Mb, and Full Software Patches can exceed 1Gb! Might as well do that on wi-fi data. It also prevents the phone from grinding to a halt if it starts an update while you have the Uber/Lyft/Maps/Waze Apps on.
Or just turn the auto updates off.

epcjay

I drive 20 hours a week between Lyft and Uber and according to my phone usage in the past five months I've been averaging around 750 mb each app. Then my GPS such as Google Maps and Waze use about 200 MB each, then I don't know what Google Play services is that that uses 400 mb. I exclusively use this phone just for rideshare. I have my own cell phone with a separate plan

DriverMckiver

Thks for the heads-up. Didn't know you could do that, though the upgrade to 10gig was only an extra $10 per month so I'll probably keep it.

Gone_in_60_seconds

Hi all , so I drive part time for Lyft exclusively.
I would say apprx 24 hours per week average.
My phone is paid for by my “ real job” but we only get 5 GB per month. They complained that I went over. I’m not sure if it was Lyft related as I have never been careful with usage generally.
How much do you think I use as per above with Lyft running ?
Sweet deal. That probably saves you $70 /month. LOL.

racer26

My plan covers 11GB usage combined across my 2 phones. This month I'm at 8.8GB consumed with 3 days to go.

I watch a lot of youtube when waiting for pings - though youtube is surprisingly easy on the data. I suspect they've got some smarts in there that intentionally turns down video bitrate when on mobile data. On a 4" screen, 360p is good enough for most people, 1080p just wastes data. Sometimes I watch Twitch streamers, and i have found I have to intentionally turn down their quality setting or else it chews through data at >1GB/hr.

Cowwy

You guys have too many apps installed. 3-4gigs at most with 60hours. I only have Uber, Waze, and what's app on the phone.

racer26

in my case - for the month, Uber driver has consumed about 1GB, and Lyft Driver has consumed about 750MB.

Its all the youtube thats eating the majority of my data.