• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How much is Brisbane surging these days?

anOzzieUber

Haven't driven in weeks, and not even bothered turning on the app.

Then today I get the weekly update from Uber which states:

1. Top driver last week made $4078.63 in gross fares.
2. Top half of drivers made over $2600.00 in gross fares.
3. 90% of drivers made $2000+ in gross fares.

It must be on constant surge to get these figures. The 3rd one I do not buy one little bit. Assuming it was surging at 5x a hell of a lot, you'd be making probably $100/hr in gross fares - meaning you'd need to work 20 hours to gross the $2000+. That being the case, they are saying at these far fetched amounts that 90% of all Uber drivers on the books made this amount? I just do not buy this.

Any Brisbane drivers who worked last week care to chime in with their approximate hours on line last week and their gross fares?

And just to elaborate further on the Uber V ATO GST issue - if 90% of drivers are making $2000+ in gross fares ($1600 per week in pay) - then they are well and truly on target to earning over $75,000 per annum meaning if Uber wins their little fight, these drivers will still be required to pay GST. If Uber does win the fight, then expect 10% decrease in fares and these drivers will then cop the other 10%.

TheSnowman

Sorry can't chime in, I'm the same as you and you said it so much better than I ever could, thanks for that post, my thoughts exactly when I read the email

UBER is about UBER

GCUber

Absolute bullshit. I emailed UBER requesting more evidence a few weeks ago when they said the top GC driver made over $3000 in fares the first week after GST was introduced. UBER refused to verify it the CSR said "trust me". The guys I know who drive regularly and still doing it are not making anywhere near these figures.
They did tell me since the promo codes have stopped the work is slowing and the fares getting smaller usually $8-$12.

anOzzieUber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is starting to look like a very desperate ploy by Uber to try and get back the hundreds if not thousands of drivers who have bailed since the GST implications hit. Not to mention those who signed on since recently and found the numbers are not stacking up.

I reckon I could go out on the weekend, take about 50 short Uber trips and not find 40 drivers out of 50 that I talk to that back up this claim.

Even at a very conservative 2x surge which is about the same as the price of a taxi, pax get on Uber's Facebook page and @@@@@ and moan about how expensive it is. Just checked out FB, and no such crying - meaning that surge isn't happening nearly enough to back up these outrageous claims.

UberX.illegal?

$4068 gross pfffttt. That too ONE driver.... Give me a break! Taxis usually gross 4000-5000$ and they are on road 24/7. Even before uberx I have NEVER seen any driver ever gross that.

UBERxGc

Similar figures on the coast apparently. I was reading that email and thinking: "nope, you're not fooling me you crooks"
And that email was so full of shit that made me scroll to the bottom and unsubscribe.

Instyle

$2942 take home after Uber comm and GST then take your expenses and income tax.

Thats over $1100 less than the amount they advertise in these over the top texts and emails. The driver probably had refferals setup on targeted internet ads which made up the bulk of that amount.

leadcurescancer

Yeh I can confirm BS, 12 hours yesterday $300 gross. My dad also drives and he has done $500 days post 1 aug but even he says a 40 hour really would mean a 60 hour week. A 60 hour week would come close at $33/hr gross so long as you worked all the busy hours. More Uber BS as usual, BTW I got my third email this week asking what they can do to get me back on the road and asking me to ring the last time.

AlbertX

Yeh I can confirm BS, 12 hours yesterday $300 gross. My dad also drives and he has done $500 days post 1 aug but even he says a 40 hour really would mean a 60 hour week. A 60 hour week would come close at $33/hr gross so long as you worked all the busy hours. More Uber BS as usual, BTW I got my third email this week asking what they can do to get me back on the road and asking me to ring the last time.
leadcurescancer is right. My average was also around $33/hr gross in the busiest hours ferrying drunk arses, and seeing my rating fell below 4 on Fri and Sat because more than half of my riders thought I overcharged them.

UberPlates

anOzzieUber

BTW I got my third email this week asking what they can do to get me back on the road and asking me to ring the last time.
Well now I'm feeling unloved, I've only got 2 SMS's so far asking why I'm not driving. Looking forward to crying myself to sleep tonight. FU Uber!

... but ... anOzzieUber does state 'gross fares'...
That's the whole thing with Uber and people like BBB who say how much they are earning, not that I've ever got a referral (because I'm not mean enough to suggest others driver for Uber) but I think they lump the whole lot in together - so you might make $1000 driving 100 hours but also get $3000 in referrals - BOOM you just made $4000 for the week driving for Uber.

UBERxGc

That still does not explain the "90% of drivers made over $2000" bit. We all know that at least 70% of drivers only do a few hours on the weekends.
I think this email is a pure lie and not a play on words like some other emails.

EDIT: $2000 in fares might not seem impossible in brisbane, but reading that 90% of drivers on the coast made over $1850 made me piss my pants (was only wearing boxer shorts to be more specific) laughing. There is NOT enough work on the coast during the week! It is only fridays and saturdays so those figures are insane!!

Last edited:

Sameshiftdiffday

Chad in brisbane says - you are all so negative !!! Uber never lies ( that is what cab co.s do !!!). Did you know the top driver in brisbane, by following our rules, made ..... 8.6 million last week!!!
The rest of are not doing it right ( ask beep beep in Melbourne ) seriously just put a fold away bed in the boot and a phone charger and wait for the ping ..
That's how champions work !!!...
Tell us your successes ,,......

anOzzieUber

Is this more proof of the dodgy figures from last week? and that drivers are leaving because they aren't seeing that phat cash?

Got an SMS from Uber yesterday or the day before - it seems incentives are back on:

http://www.uberqld.info/incentives-bne/

Mon-Fri 4am-9am $25/hr Gross
Sat 4am-5pm - $25hr/Gross
Sun 4am-midnight $25/hr Gross

Fri 5pm-8pm & 10pm-4am $30/hr Gross
Sat 5pm-11pm $30/hr Gross

Sat 11pm-4am $40/hr Gross

Now if 90% of partners made $2000 gross in fares the other week, why the hell do they need incentives? When they finally removed incentives a couple of months ago they said they did so because drivers were easily achieving the guarantees, so they weren't need. Are they now needed because drivers aren't pulling the figures that Uber claims?

Maybe another sign that drivers are drying up possibly?????? Got a ride today. Not sure of the nationality of the driver, his car was about 6 years old, but other than that a very nice ride, very clean. His rating was 4.3 wtf? I think he may have been a new driver, but during the short trip I took it was clear that English was not his first language because he couldn't hold a conversation with me. He seemed like a nice guy, probably drove a little quicker than I thought was necessary and was one of the growing group of Qld drivers who don't feel the need to indicate when exiting a roundabout. I rated him 5* because I'm a sucker, but he really isn't the sort of driver that Uber should be using - but this is what happens when you burn long term drivers I guess. If he is new, then his rating of 4.3 may well improve, but from my initial ride I can't see him lasting too long knowing how fussy a lot of riders are.

GCUber

Spoke to a CSR he said that UBER have so many inactive drivers they need more new drivers on the road . The incentives are for old and new drivers. They need drivers in the road. I asked him since they pay a minimum hourly rate are we now employees of course the conversation ended there. So we are employees with minimum hourly rates when they want but independent contractors when they don't. Sorry I forgot independent contractors all the time.

anOzzieUber

I get the feeling that Uber Australia has really underestimated the stock of drivers here. We are not America, we are a small country town in comparison and they just can not afford this churn and burn mentality.

Of the Uber drivers I've used and seen on the roads, my car would have to be one of the worst getting around - but my rating indicates otherwise. The quality of drivers must be slipping at an alarming rate and it's because pax want quality drivers, they mainly want cheap rides but with all the trimmings - it's not going to happen.

The guy I had today - he'd be no chance of staying activated once he reaches his 50 trips or whatever it is, but Uber is already up against the wall getting driver on the road so their 4.5-4.6 threshold will soon be 4.0.