How Much Does It Cost To Start Driving?

UberDriverAU

Back by popular demand ... RIP the previous version.

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO START LEGALLY DRIVING FOR UBER?

Disclaimer: Costs are correct at time of posting, it is your responsibility to confirm that they're still current and that there is nothing extra.

Setup Costs
Medical: ~$100.00 (* Call your doctor for the cost)
F Extension: $108.50 (Source: Department of Transport (aka DoT))
National Police Certificate: $44.90 (Source: CV Check)
Traffic Infringements Report: $25.20 (Source: WA Police)
Total Setup Costs: ~$278.60

Annual Fees
Motor Injury Insurance (Change from class 1A to 3(f): $146.70 ($556.05 - $409.35, Source: DoT)
Car Insurance (Upgrade to Ride-Share Usage): ~$60.00 (* Call your insurer for the additional cost)
Charter Vehicle Licence: $272.00 (Source: DoT)
Vehicle Examination: $94.85 (Source: DoT)
Total Annual Fees: ~$573.55

First Year: ~$278.60 + ~$573.55 = ~$852.15
Subsequent Years: ~$573.55

(*) You will need to call both your doctor and car insurer to find out the costs for:

(1) A commercial driver's medical check. No, they won't do this for free.
(2) Upgrading your car insurance to "ride-sharing" usage.

... then plug them into the list above and recalculate the costs.

Other things to consider:
(1) You may incur additional costs if your car fails the initial Vehicle Examination. You will need to rectify the cause(s) of the failure at your expense and get re-examined for $65.30. (Source: DoT)
(2) You can obtain optional "Charter Vehicle" number plates for your car for an additional $43.00. (Source: DoT)
(3) If you drive a vehicle that seats 8 or more people (the driver included), then the correct Insurance Class is 3(a). The additional amount for Motor Injury Insurance is $1,518.25 ($1,927.60 - 409.35) rather than $146.70. That brings the first year to ~$2,223.70 and subsequent years to ~$1,945.10. (Source: DoT)

Last edited:

UbeRay

Thank you UberDriverAU good info for all newbie startups.
Just an note on the Third Party increase.
If you have an 8 seat vehicle including the driver you are required to have 3A Third Party cover which will cost approx $1,700 - $1,900 extra.
Uber was not accepting 3A but after their discussions with WA Insurance Commission and DOT they are now accepting 3A.

Potsy

T
If you have an 8 seat vehicle including the driver you are required to have 3A Third Party cover which will cost approx $1,700 - $1,900 extra.
Uber was not accepting 3A but after their discussions with WA Insurance Commission and DOT they are now accepting 3A.
That's a very big expense considering half the time your doing X jobs.

UbeRay

Yes. Had the option of removing middle seat and reinspection but find it too convenient to leave seat in place to seat 3 across (suits X jobs) without bothering to fold up seat to access rear seats.
Also gives more options when transporting extra luggage and surfboards etc with 5 or 6 Pax.
Extra $25 per week ( 1 trip) but I think worth it.

UberDriverAU

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cheers mate, I've added a note at the bottom in "Other things to consider". Ouch, I wouldn't want to pay the extra $1.5K per year personally.

kuna

Back by popular demand ... RIP the previous version.

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO START LEGALLY DRIVING FOR UBER?

Disclaimer: Costs are correct at time of posting, it is your responsibility to confirm that they're still current and that there is nothing extra.

Setup Costs
Medical: ~$100.00 (* Call your doctor for the cost)
F Extension: $108.50 (Source: Department of Transport (aka DoT))
National Police Certificate: $44.90 (Source: CV Check)
Traffic Infringements Report: $25.20 (Source: WA Police)
Total Setup Costs: ~$278.60

Annual Fees
Motor Injury Insurance (Change from class 1A to 3(f): $146.70 ($556.05 - $409.35, Source: DoT)
Car Insurance (Upgrade to Ride-Share Usage): ~$60.00 (* Call your insurer for the additional cost)
Charter Vehicle Licence: $272.00 (Source: DoT)
Vehicle Examination: $94.85 (Source: DoT)
Total Annual Fees: ~$573.55

First Year: ~$278.60 + ~$573.55 = ~$852.15
Subsequent Years: ~$573.55

(*) You will need to call both your doctor and car insurer to find out the costs for:

(1) A commercial driver's medical check. No, they won't do this for free.
(2) Upgrading your car insurance to "ride-sharing" usage.

... then plug them into the list above and recalculate the costs.

Other things to consider:
(1) You may incur additional costs if your car fails the initial Vehicle Examination. You will need to rectify the cause(s) of the failure at your expense and get re-examined for $65.30. (Source: DoT)
(2) You can obtain optional "Charter Vehicle" number plates for your car for an additional $43.00. (Source: DoT)
(3) If you drive a vehicle that seats 8 or more people (the driver included), then the correct Insurance Class is 3(a). The additional amount for Motor Injury Insurance is $1,518.25 ($1,927.60 - 409.35) rather than $146.70. That brings the first year to ~$2,223.70 and subsequent years to ~$1,945.10. (Source: DoT)
Thanks for the detailed post. I was surprised that my Renewal of Small Charter Vehicle License which I received from DOT, will cost me $841.00 annually ( I thought it was just $272 but it has insurance as $459.60- is this because of the conversion to 3(f) ? and then there's the GST on the insurance ($45.95), insurance duty of $50.50 and recording fee ($12.10)

:rolleyes:. I haven't even included driving inspection and others. Shit !!!!

lui6155

mate you have asked the same or similar question on 3 forum topics,boring.
Suggest you lob into Uber's office as your affairs are in a bit of a mess ie u should have a CVL licence not SCV/to renew 3F you require a DOT inspection. Or go into DOT.

kuna

Suggest you lob into Uber's office as your affairs are in a bit of a mess ie u should have a CVL licence not SCV/to renew 3F you require a DOT inspection. Or go into DOT.
Yes I guess I need to go to the office now. Yikes!!!

UberDriverAU

In all fairness lui, as he's renewing right now he must have had an SCV licence at the same time last year. CV licences have only been around 9-10 months now. I still see SCV plated vehicles around, so perhaps DOT hasn't been too pushy in transitioning them to the new CV or regular plates. Also, those with custom SCV plates will be allowed to keep them.

UberDriverAU

I thought it was just $272 but it has insurance as $459.60- is this because of the conversion to 3(f) ? and then there's the GST on the insurance ($45.95), insurance duty of $50.50 and recording fee ($12.10)
Oddly enough, $459.60 + $45.95 + $50.50 = $556.05, ie. the correct amount. $556.05 - $409.35 = $146.70 is the amount extra you pay compared to regular 1A insurance (private/business usage) .