1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How much can you take?!

Discussion in 'Complaints' started by jawjaw, Dec 6, 2018.

1. jawjaw

jawjaw

The power is in the drivers hands but no matter what uber does to lower our wages there are still drivers everywhere! It’s almost impossible at this point to get the majority to quit driving for a few days. Uber needs to be sent a message that we cannot have our fare lowered and our surge taken away! All of this a few weeks before Christmas. What an awesome company. Scumbags!!

I will only drive Lyft 90 percent of the time now. How long until they follow and start slashing our rates? This week I actually got an incentive bonus from Lyft to do a certain amount of rides for $46-$76 extra. Screw you uber! It’s such an insult and slap in the face. Also, tell all your passengers about uber and to switch to Lyft for the time being. I’m also going to be adding a tip sign. Enough is enough! Turn off the uber app and spread the word!

2. Rushmanyyz

Rushmanyyz

Uber gave us a similar but better deal.

3. jawjaw

jawjaw

yeah going from 90 cents a minute to 65 cents a minute seems like a sweet deal. And taking our surge multiplier and just adding a $1.50 extra is also so good for the drivers.

This is the problem I speak of. It’s not a better deal. I don’t know where you are, but they cut our rates and took away our surge while they are pocketing all the extra money. Some fares uber is taking up to 75 percent! It’s a slap in the face from uber and it’s a slap in the face that some drivers actually think it’s a good deal. Mental!

I give up. This is why drivers will always be taken advantage of. No one wants to take a stand. That is why they hire so many drivers. There will always be people who are clueless. If there was a cap on how many drivers they could hire it would be easier, but as soon as 50 drivers quit from being screwed they bring on 100 new and uninformed drivers. It’s just gonna keep getting worse until a large majority just turn off the app.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Juugman2208 likes this.
  4. Dan2miletripguy

Dan2miletripguy

Driving:
    UberX
    Those of us in the DFW market have been getting .60 per mile..... or at least I am.

5. You got it wrong, OP. It is not in Uber's best interest to increase our driver rates. Uber wants their customers (you know, the ones who pay the bills?) to have *instant* access to a vehicle - no waiting. The only way they can do that is by saturating every market with Uber "partners." THAT is their goal.

And that is Uber's advantage over taxis, no? Here in my town, Uber has brought "taxis" to parts of the city and county that never really had taxi service before. That's kind of a good thing.

Is the oversupply of drivers frustrating for people who are trying to make a living at this? Yes, of course. Will it ever change? Of course...not. In fact it might get worse. As long as people sign up and drive, thinking they can make some money at this (and keep doing it part-time), then this current paradigm will continue. Of course, as always, *you* have the power to stop working for Uber. If it's not profitable or viable for you, then you should find another line of work. This applies to everyone.

mrpjfresh likes this.
  6. jawjaw

jawjaw

I disagree. Long term it is in their best interest to raise our rates (or at least quit lowering them). The lower the rates the lower the quality of drivers and in return business drops off. It’s not gonna be in any drivers best interest to continue driving while they keep taking larger pieces of the pie. All I’m saying is the power lies within the drivers. Without decent drivers they have no business.

I hardly post on here because it’s ususlly just a lot of arguing back and forth. I was just stating that all drivers part time or full time are being constantly taken more advantage of. Sure it’s in my power to not drive anymore for uber and I’m not going to drive near as much anymore. If others followed then maybe things could improve.

7. njn

njn

In another dimension:

"The power is in the drivers hands but no matter what lyft does to lower our wages there are still drivers everywhere! It’s almost impossible at this point to get the majority to quit driving for a few days. Lyft needs to be sent a message that we cannot have our fare lowered and our surge taken away! All of this a few weeks before Christmas. What an awesome company. Scumbags!!

I will only drive uber 90 percent of the time now. How long until they follow and start slashing our rates? This week I actually got an incentive bonus from uber to do a certain amount of rides for $46-$76 extra. Screw you lyft! It’s such an insult and slap in the face. Also, tell all your passengers about lyft and to switch to uber for the time being. I’m also going to be adding a tip sign. Enough is enough! Turn off the lyft app and spread the word!"

8. steveK2016

steveK2016

Driving:
    UberXL
    Business drops off to what? You think millenials will wait 45 min for a cab? You think millenials will CALL for a cab?!

The millenials Will keep riding rideshare, be miserable with piss poor drivers, complain on social media, get that endorphin rush from getting 37 likes then rinse and repeat.

9. jawjaw

jawjaw

Saturating every market with drivers should be illegal. It’s creating so much pollution and traffic everywhere. That’s what the world needs is an extra million drivers just driving in circles for no purpose. Soon Uber’s party will be over. It’s just a big nasty greed machine and it will be over soon enough. It killed a legitimate career as a taxi driver. I know lots of people talk down on it but it is a much needed service that back in the day required a bit of skill. It was also more appreciated. Have you ever taken an uber and seen who the hell is driving people around? It’s ridiculous. Uber needs far more regulations.

Millennials are not their only customers. You are assuming they are but they are only a small portion and not every millennial is a selfish moron.

10. Perhaps the New York model will come to Cali ? Careful what you wish for. ;)

11. steveK2016

steveK2016

Driving:
    UberXL
    Well thank you for that vote of confidence on us Millenials but I guarantee you millennials are a far higher percentage of Uber pax. Most of my pax are well under 35 but I'm a part timer that runs late night fri and sat prime time.

12. jazzapt

jazzapt

Why is that that every time Uber/Lyft finds a way to lower driver’s pay, and we get upset, someone has to say “hey you don’t have to do this. Go find another job”. Why can’t we just be allowed to be upset that Uber/Lyft has ruined what was once a good thing for their own greed?

Case in point. I started doing Uber 3 ½ years ago. I have a full time job but have a lot of debt I need to get down. And I also have a wife and two kids. I want to spend as much time with them as possible. I decided to do Uber because it allowed me to make extra cash without being tied down to a part time job where I have to work someone else’s schedule. I work when I want, can take time off without asking for permission, and can attend a birthday party with my kids without having to worry about finding someone to cover my shift.

The first 3 years were wonderful and I got to the point where I am now about a year left before I have the biggest of the debts paid off. But in the last 6 months Uber has taken away boosts, the surge multiplier, and now reduced my pay. It is getting harder and harder to justify doing this.

The only other option is doing what I don’t want to do, work on someone else’s schedule that will take me away from my kids. Am I not allowed to be upset and complain about that?

Juugman2208, Wonkytonk and jawjaw like this.
  13. Rushmanyyz

Rushmanyyz

Nah, we got a better deal. I've already posted a lot about it, so can't be bothered to do so again but suffice it to say that it works out to be 83 dollars for 20 trips. It effectively boosts the hourly rate to about 40 on most nights. Last Friday sucked but that was hardly Uber's doing.

14. Emp9

Emp9

Driving:
    UberX
    I quit with the new pay . no way i operate at 60cents a mile ad no surge ,my cut off was .90.

M138 and Nats121 like this.
  15. Kodyhead

Kodyhead

Driving:
    UberSUV
    What makes you think Lyft is any better?

16. Uber sees recession shadows. No fear of driver supply

2015NissanVersa likes this.
  17. Wrong again! With Uber's rating system, poor (i.e. low-rated) drivers will be deactivated. It happens now. Will Uber ever run out of drivers who are good enough to maintain a 4.60 or better? Time will tell.

Some of you guys clearly don't understand what Uber is trying to do. Look, Uber is not just trying to replace taxis with something similar. It's not about human drivers shuttling passengers around in their personal cars. That just proves the business model. It's about self-driving autonomous, electric (or at least zero-emission) cars moving people around. Uber would rather have no drivers to pay. Uber has been training the public to use their smartphones to call for a vehicle/taxi. Push a button on your phone and voila! a car shows up right where you are! Now that they've done that, they could easily transition away from human drivers. It's only a matter of time until the general public accepts being chauffeured around in a driver-less car. At that point, their whole department (or division or whatever) that's devoted to driver issues goes away...gets deactivated, if you will.

Sure you are! Have at it. Complain all you want. But it's not going to change anything.

I will agree that Uber was guilty of false advertising in the beginning, because they really did imply that driving for them would be a good full-time gig. They made it attractive enough that people did decide to do this as their primary source of income. The truth is, in most markets it's VERY HARD to make a decent living doing this. Sure, you can "make your own schedule!" and "work when you want!" and all that - and yeah, those are great benefits to this "job." But to make real money at it you have to nearly live in your car *and* drive the wheels off it. That's the harsh reality. I feel very sad for people who have to do this full-time (for whatever reason).

Over/Uber likes this.
  18. 2015NissanVersa

2015NissanVersa

Seriously.

"When [companies] show you who they are, believe them." - Maya Angelou

This gig ain't gonna get any better. It's never going to be what it was 4 years ago, or even a year ago. Up until recently, you could still eke out some bones if you knew where/when/how to drive. You can still catch a unicorn here or there. But those who have the skills and opportunity to find another job should really look to do so. I don't doubt Uber's ability to screw over its drivers even further. Because despite what CNBC is reporting about a strong economy, etc. etc., there's a whole underclass who is paycheck to paycheck, who needs cash on hand, who will frantically complete a 15 for $20 quest. And Uber knows this.

19. Side Hustle

Side Hustle

Driving:
    UberX
    I’ve had riders complain about how much the ride was costing them (due to surge) when no surge showed when I accepted the ride. LOL!

20. The only thing that we can hope for is that the "pie" will get bigger faster than the number of drivers signing on. And I believe this will happen. As more and more people discover the advantages and convenience of using Uber as opposed to their own personal vehicles (which they might not even have, or which might not be available if a family member took it to work) then our business will increase.

Uber is literally revolutionising personal transportation, improving and extending "taxi" service like never before. I see a time when a family that currently owns two cars could eliminate one of them and use Uber for those trips.