How many police interactions have you had?

PorkRollUberAndCheese

so, I got pulled over this weekend by a shore cop. He was looking for DUIs and since I don't have huge Uber logos on my car, he didn't realize what I was until he pulled me over. No problem, no ticket.

Got me to thinking though - how many police interactions have you had driving? I've had five. First was a stop on the shore due to me picking up in the street. That was early in my Uber career, lesson learned. No ticket. Two were DUI check points, one with a passenger while Uber was still illegal. One was a shore cop hitting me on running a red when it was yellow. That one I deserved. Lots of people in the streets, I was stupid. Last was this weekend.

MaximusMurkimus

1. Bored cop in Mount Olive tried to get me for "careless driving" in my very first week of driving back in 2015; putting my phone back on the mount when it was pitch black.

2. South Orange cop pulled me over after a drop off at the train station roundabout earlier this year; I forgot about the sign there (I deserved that for listening to the entitled pax). He was fairly nonchalant about it; could've nailed me for a late vehicle inspection sticker too but he instead told me to just get it checked out, I did so later that day.

ToughTommy

Over ten times minimum. Not including DUI.
2 no point tickets. Parker house and in front of J Macs. Learned from those

ibeam23

Twice.

First was pulling out of a hotel with pax who were leaving a wedding reception. The second I pulled out of the lot the cop pulled me over. He was obviously looking for DUI's. No ticket and he didn't even ask for my drivers license.

Second one I've posted about. Three cops surrounded my legally parked car on a residential street. Said someone complained about a "suspicious vehicle." This was at 11in the morning. Once again, no ticket.

SuzeCB

so, I got pulled over this weekend by a shore cop. He was looking for DUIs and since I don't have huge Uber logos on my car, he didn't realize what I was until he pulled me over. No problem, no ticket.

Got me to thinking though - how many police interactions have you had driving? I've had five. First was a stop on the shore due to me picking up in the street. That was early in my Uber career, lesson learned. No ticket. Two were DUI check points, one with a passenger while Uber was still illegal. One was a shore cop hitting me on running a red when it was yellow. That one I deserved. Lots of people in the streets, I was stupid. Last was this weekend.
How did you deserve getting a ticket for running a red light when it was yellow?

I have interactions with cops and any number of towns more often than not, because I'll talk to them. If I see a cop where I'm going to pick up and drop off at a busy location, I'll roll down my window and ask him where it would be best for me to be to make his job easier. Or her job. My experience with this particular situation has been that they will often give me the best spot to wait in, that they chase other people away from. A little bit of respect goes a long long way.

I've even pulled into a spot that was in back of a taxi spot, and had the taxi driver come out of his car yelling at me that the whole curb was for taxis only. It was only then that I actually read the sign and saw that this was true, but at that point a cop was coming over and the cab driver was pointing at me and the cop just said to him, "You guys lost. Give it a rest already!"

This was early May of this year, in Manasquan. LOL

PorkRollUberAndCheese

How did you deserve getting a ticket for running a red light when it was yellow?

Busy intersection with a lot of pedestrians. I was going straight and accelerated around someone making a left. If there was someone jaywalking the street and not paying attention, it might have ended badly.

Cop wasn't totally in the right, but neither was I.

2savage

No tickets to date but maybe a dozen 'interactions'. Hoboken Path, pickups at EWR, drops at JFK, pickup in Paterson, waiting at a hydrant in JC, the list goes on.

DerBundes

Most recent?!
Chelsea, turning on 7th & 14th. An entitled jogger, cut in front of me while turning. Cop gave chase, acknowledged the jogger ran into me as well as me avoiding him. Caught it on tape, my lawyer has that.

Driving in The Bronx, underpass on Fordham and Concourse while the bridge was being repaired. Cop says I was speeding in the rain and funnelled thru a small pass. My client asked me to videotape her testifying on my behalf. I took it a step further requesting DOT documents under FOIL showing that indeed a construction was taking place and there was no way I could've taken the narrow path in my vehicle, doing 35-45 or erratically, as he claims. Lawyer took care of it too. Saved how many points?! 5 total.

anteetr

DTS: 5. 1 was warranted and I got a warning.

Literally everywhere else in NJ, PA, NY, and DE I've driven, zero.

TheNJBen

Three ... stopped for rolling through a stop sign in Rittenhouse Square... no ticket just some attitude from a cop wishing he was elsewhere

Stockton university when Waze took me down a service road... just a verbal warning for me and a seatbelt check for my pax telling them "I'm sure he doesn't want to be liable for your carelessness".

And in Avalon after pax over loaded my car but told me "looks like you're all loaded up keep it moving".

I only get stopped by the cops when I'm working overnight and I enter those little sleepy towns in N.J to drop off passengers, I figure those cops are usually extremely bored, I don't ever get pulled over working Hoboken, jersey city, union city, Newark or any other urban city out here, also I've never been pulled over during the daytime or afternoon hours always overnight.

Ty110072

That gets me mad. Njben you should know better. Don't overload your car. It makes it bad for the rest of us. I did this once when I first started got a ticket for it. I have and will never do this again. When drivers do this, is when pax say to me oh my last driver let us. Or other drivers let us. If we all just stopped breaking the rules for these entitled pax. Maybe then we would deal with less BS when we pick them up.

Fubvet

Twice,
First was going home around 2am. Was the week before xmas. Said I was swing, I know I wasnt. But to my mind, I think he was looking for a DUI. But he ticket me for my cell phone mount. $50.
Second one pulling out with a pax. He said I cut him off. I apologized, begged and he gave me a break. Didn't think I cut him off. But with all the commotion I forgot if I put my signal on, or if the signal comes off early by the steering.

TheNJBen

That gets me mad. Njben you should know better. Don't overload your car. It makes it bad for the rest of us. I did this once when I first started got a ticket for it. I have and will never do this again. When drivers do this, is when pax say to me oh my last driver let us. Or other drivers let us. If we all just stopped breaking the rules for these entitled pax. Maybe then we would deal with less BS when we pick them up.
I don't overload ... 4 people quickly squeezed in the back and before I could say anything the cop told me to move along knowing my car was overloaded. One thing I've learned is arguing with a cop (especially ones that were cool with uber when we were illegal) is not a good idea

Lightning1181

I've got about 5 encounters with cops DTS in 2 years of driving. I was at fault everytime I got pulled over (a little to fast on a side street in Little Silver, and a bit over the 35 posted in Fair Haven) and each and every time I got a warning and sent on my way. Except for one time on Ocean Township where I (admittedly) rolled a stop sign along with the 2 cars in front of me, but I was the one he caught. He asked if I knew why I got pulled over and I told him exactly what I did, rolled the sign. He let me off with a $44 gift certificate with no points, but he was not being an azz about it. These guys have jobs to do as well as everyone else, and for the most part they are quite reasonable when it comes to us Goobers.
Now, as far as DWI roadblocks, I've been caught up in quite a few. The best case is when the NJSP are running it, post your trade dress and they pretty much move you right along with a smile and a wave (I rue the day that some azzhat Goober gets bagged drunk in one of them, there goes the smiles & waves forever), whereas the Monmouth County DWI Taskforce (aka Gestapo) treat us like we are criminals and cut us no breaks whatsoever. One of those checkpoints and you can lose at least a half hour while they examine your documents. No short cuts, no smiles and no waves in those. So the good thing about the Monmouth County checks is that they publish well in advance in the local Patch publications where the NJSP are very vague.

Mattio41

Plenty of times. never had any problems as soon as they knew I was an Uber Driver. That being said, I will tell you a fun one that happened about 3 weeks ago.

So I got home from driving Saturday night around 4:00 Sunday morning. There was a knock on my door around 9ish. I opened the door, and there are two officers standing there. They proceeded to tell me, that they received a report, that there is stolen property located on my premise.... "Excuse me" !!! Yes sir, There was an Iphone that has been reported stolen, and it is currently being traced to your residence. "Ummmmm, OK"... As I proceeded to tell them I am an Uber Driver, and all though I checked my back seat when I came inside last night, I admit, I did not do a 100% check. So, I took them to the vehicle, and low and behold, we found an I-phone that had slipped between the back seat and the sidewall of the car. (Seats Fold down, so there is a small gap). I proceeded to show them my log from last nights driving, and basically said, they are welcome to see what ever information about my trips were, and if any of the addresses match up to the person who placed the report.

Basically, the one officer said, "Sir, you have yourself a very nice day, and we will take care of this from here". i simply asked him if he would give me a receipt for the phone, just in case I needed it (which he did). But I can hear him sounding annoyed wo his partner, that they had were dealing with Bullshit false reports because somebody lost their phone in an Uber...

Now, I dont know if it was an account holder who called, or if it was a passanger of an account holder and had no access to contacting me. End result was, They took the phone, gave me a receipt, and somebody will have to go pick it up. Needless to say though, an interesting morning.

SuzeCB

Plenty of times. never had any problems as soon as they knew I was an Uber Driver. That being said, I will tell you a fun one that happened about 3 weeks ago.

So I got home from driving Saturday night around 4:00 Sunday morning. There was a knock on my door around 9ish. I opened the door, and there are two officers standing there. They proceeded to tell me, that they received a report, that there is stolen property located on my premise.... "Excuse me" !!! Yes sir, There was an Iphone that has been reported stolen, and it is currently being traced to your residence. "Ummmmm, OK"... As I proceeded to tell them I am an Uber Driver, and all though I checked my back seat when I came inside last night, I admit, I did not do a 100% check. So, I took them to the vehicle, and low and behold, we found an I-phone that had slipped between the back seat and the sidewall of the car. (Seats Fold down, so there is a small gap). I proceeded to show them my log from last nights driving, and basically said, they are welcome to see what ever information about my trips were, and if any of the addresses match up to the person who placed the report.

Basically, the one officer said, "Sir, you have yourself a very nice day, and we will take care of this from here". i simply asked him if he would give me a receipt for the phone, just in case I needed it (which he did). But I can hear him sounding annoyed wo his partner, that they had were dealing with Bullshit false reports because somebody lost their phone in an Uber...

Now, I dont know if it was an account holder who called, or if it was a passanger of an account holder and had no access to contacting me. End result was, They took the phone, gave me a receipt, and somebody will have to go pick it up. Needless to say though, an interesting morning.
Contact Uber and let them see the receipt if you have to. Get $15 for your troubles.