• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How many of you smoke?

Smoke anything?

• Don’t smoke anything

Votes: 50 51.0%
  • Just tobacco

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • Just weed

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • Both tobacco and weed

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Don’t smoke, chew tobacco

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Don’t smoke, on patch/chew gum

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ggrezzi

Are you crazy , expecting Uber/Lyft drivers to exercise is like asking for a heart attack. The only part of a drivers body that gets exercise is their right foot.
I go to the gym 7 days a week for AT LEAST one hour and so far never had a heart, brain or else problem

Gandler

This is an unpopular opinion, and not medical advice.

However, if you smoke I would recommend switching to smokeless tobacco (dip or better yet snus), its cheaper and less harmful. And, now there is Zyn which is tobacco free nicotine pouches that you place in your lip like dip, but do not have the negative effects of smoking.

Vaping is a better alternative to smoking as well.

But, smoking besides being harmful has a lot of stigma (and the smell lasts, everyone knows). If you can switch to a less harmful and cheaper alternative, it is an improvement (plus with snus, no spitting, so unless you are kissing somebody nobody would even know).

It is easy for people to say just quit cold turkey. But, we all know nicotine is one heck of a drug, and sometimes you just need someway to get the fix, and it may as well be a safer alternative. I went through a phase where I just wore nicotine patches with no intention of quitting, but I just enjoyed the constant flow of nicotine and not having to smoke.

On the economical side, if you pay 4.50 a day for a pack of day smoker, that is over 30 dollars a week for something that even if it does not kill you, will likely damage you in some way. Whereas a can of dip or snus is more like 2-3USD. Nicotine patches seem expensive, but one patch lasts 24 hours, and they do not lower productivity like taking smoke breaks, and when you do the math, most brands are actually cheaper than smoking.

TheDevilisaParttimer

However, if you smoke I would recommend switching to smokeless tobacco (dip or better yet snus), its cheaper and less harmful. And, now there is Zyn which is tobacco free nicotine pouches that you place in your lip like dip, but do not have the negative effects of smoking.

But, smoking besides being harmful has a lot of stigma (and the smell lasts, everyone knows). If you can switch to a less harmful and cheaper alternative, it is an improvement (plus with snus, no spitting, so unless you are kissing somebody nobody would even know).

It is easy for people to say just quit cold turkey. But, we all know nicotine is one heck of a drug, and sometimes you just need someway to get the fix, and it may as well be a safer alternative. I went through a phase where I just wore nicotine patches with no intention of quitting, but I just enjoyed the constant flow of nicotine and not having to smoke.

On the economical side, if you pay 4.50 a day for a pack of day smoker, that is over 30 dollars a week for something that even if it does not kill you, will likely damage you in some way. Whereas a can of dip or snus is more like 2-3USD. Nicotine patches seem expensive, but one patch lasts 24 hours, and they do not lower productivity like taking smoke breaks, and when you do the math, most brands are actually cheaper than smoking.
Man I this is the fkd up truth. All methods of nicotine intake greatly increases risk of cancer, heart attack and stroke. Going smokeless only helps you avoid emphysema. I feel y’all pain but the truth is the truth.

ariel5466

On the economical side, if you pay 4.50 a day for a pack of day smoker, that is over 30 dollars a week for something that even if it does not kill you, will likely damage you in some way.
Cigarettes cost waaaay more than that now, even in Virginia where, along with NC, we have some of the cheapest cigarettes in the country. The last time I was able to get a pack for under $5 was about 12 years ago.

Gandler

Man I this is the fkd up truth. All methods of nicotine intake greatly increases risk of cancer, heart attack and stroke. Going smokeless only helps you avoid emphysema. I feel y’all pain but the truth is the truth.
I do not disagree (but so does caffeine to be fair). However, the harm reduction philosophy you perfectly summarized.

If all risk cannot be avoided, minimize the risks. Smoking increases the risk of oral cancer, lung cancer, and a host of lung diseases. Smokeless tobacco increases the risk of oral cancer (lungs are relatively safe).
Tobacco-free nicotine (path, Zyn, etc...) increases the risk of none of those, but still has the standard nicotine risks.

If you need nicotine, smokeless is better than smoking. And, tobacco free is better than tobacco. Those are just basic harm reduction principles.
Post automatically merged:

Cigarettes cost waaaay more than that now, even in Virginia where, along with NC, we have some of the cheapest cigarettes in the country. The last time I was able to get a pack for under $5 was about 12 years ago.
Well, even more reason to quit if you have to pay over 5USD for something that is essentially leaves rolled into a paper cylinder!
Where I live, I believe most non-premium brands are between 4-5 (I said 4.50 as an average), but I know some states that average is higher, I am from NJ, and there, even back then it was over 8USD a pack for standard brands.

ariel5466

I do not disagree (but so does caffeine to be fair). However, the harm reduction philosophy you perfectly summarized.

If all risk cannot be avoided, minimize the risks. Smoking increases the risk of oral cancer, lung cancer, and a host of lung diseases. Smokeless tobacco increases the risk of oral cancer (lungs are relatively safe).
Tobacco-free nicotine (path, Zyn, etc...) increases the risk of none of those, but still has the standard nicotine risks.

If you need nicotine, smokeless is better than smoking. And, tobacco free is better than tobacco. Those are just basic harm reduction principles.

Well, even more reason to quit if you have to pay over 5USD for something that is essentially leaves rolled into a paper cylinder!
Where I live, I believe most non-premium brands are between 4-5 (I said 4.50 as an average), but I know some states that average is higher, I am from NJ, and there, even back then it was over 8USD a pack for standard brands.
Last time I was in NYC a pack cost $12! And that was 10 years ago!

Gandler

Last time I was in NYC a pack cost $12! And that was 10 years ago!
Yeah that is a big nope for me. If I was a smoker and lived there, I would roll my own or take a trip to some tribal land to buy in bulk. Plus, in NYC I don't think you can even smoke anywhere (I believe even outdoor parks are banned, let alone bars etc....) If you live in NYC there are endless reasons to not be a smoker (which I guess is a good thing), but it probably hurts lower income people the most (people who can't afford the loopholes and who can't quit). Just like Soda/juice taxes, it always effects those who are unable to drive to a neighboring city or state.

peteyvavs

I go to the gym 7 days a week for AT LEAST one hour and so far never had a heart, brain or else problem
But do you have a life. Going to the gym 7 days a week and doing rideshare is a bi-polar disorder🤪

Where can I buy Zyn

Last edited:

Gandler

But do you have a life. Going to the gym 7 days a week and doing rideshare is a bi-polar disorder🤪

Where can I buy Zyn
I don't know where you live, but just about every gas station convenient store has it in my city.

And, no I do not work for the company, but it is a solid product, and a safer alternative to dipping or chewing. I enjoy it.

Or this is a great site for buying smokeless tobacco online that I have been using since college, far cheaper, though now you have to pay for shipping because of the USPS rule where they won't deliver tobacco so it has to be a private carrier. Make sure you get the 6MG, the 3MG is on the weak side.

Seamus

So no interesting story really. Smoked cigarettes from 1980 to 1988. There were no vaping substitutes, nicotine gum or patches available that I can recall back then. The only way to do it was cold turkey. I went thru hell but did it. Probably the hardest thing I ever did. Wouldn’t ever want to go through that again. I do have an occasional cigar.

AvisDeene

I found an e-cigarette wedged between the back seat and belt buckle a few weeks ago. I would normally dump junk in the trash, but my curiosity got the better of me and I got tempted to try it, wondering what is so great about smoking. So after cleaning it, I took a puff immediately regretted my action. It felt horrible and very painful. My lungs were on fire and I struggled to breathe.

Never again. I'll stick to killing myself with sugar. At least cheese danishes, Haagen Daaz, and strawberry shortcakes feel good as I consume them.

ariel5466

I found an e-cigarette wedged between the back seat and belt buckle a few weeks ago. I would normally dump junk in the trash, but my curiosity got the better of me and I got tempted to try it, wondering what is so great about smoking. So after cleaning it, I took a puff immediately regretted my action. It felt horrible and very painful. My lungs were on fire and I struggled to breathe.

Never again. I'll stick to killing myself with sugar. At least cheese danishes, Haagen Daaz, and strawberry shortcakes feel good as I consume them.
The wattage was probably set too high for a noob. Was it an actual e-cig, or something like a Juul, or a mod?