• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How many hours a week is full time

Vegeta09

I drive anywhere from 20 to 40 hours a week.

Does this mean that the government sees me as a full time driver, part time driver or casual driver?

Just wondering, as I have just lodged my first BAS, and tax time isn't far away.

Vegeta09

Makes no difference what govt sees you as. All they care about is your income from all sources
So, you have the average joe, who works a full time job Monday to Friday, and has a newer model car, so they decide to do a few hours uber driving on Friday and Saturday nights for extra coin.

Then, you have those people, who work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, driving for uber. It's all they do.

You're telling me, that there is no difference between the two, in regards to whether they are classed as driving for uber on a full time, part time or casual basis?

Golfer

Does this mean that the government sees me as a full time driver, part time driver or casual driver?

Just wondering, as I have just lodged my first BAS, and tax time isn't far away.

In my time on the forum , that has to be one of the funniest questions asked by a new driver , :smile:
But " I've had a thought " ¤¤▪▪¤¤
I'll put it this way
The Gov. Wants tour GST money ( don't be late )
Uber wants your commission money
They don't give a shit , how you rate your time in rideshare ,
But as I have previously posted there are 4 categories
Very casual ( Apollo) , casual , part time , full time ,
In summary no one cares ,
But of course if it bothers you reach out to your partner uber on 1300091272 ( uber support ) :smiling:
You have a keen sense of humour , so take all replies to your question with it .
I had to read your question twice

RoboRider

So, you have the average joe, who works a full time job Monday to Friday, and has a newer model car, so they decide to do a few hours uber driving on Friday and Saturday nights for extra coin.

Then, you have those people, who work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, driving for uber. It's all they do.

You're telling me, that there is no difference between the two, in regards to whether they are classed as driving for uber on a full time, part time or casual basis?
Yep it matters nothing to the govt. All they care about is your total income and legitimate deductions. From a personal perspective your tax on uber earnings will probably be different depending on your type of driving but that is just a question of marginal income and deductions

Immoralized

ATO reckons 60 hours per week is full time hours for rideshare and it one of the benchmarks where you can use accelerated depreciation on cars worth over 20k and depreciate it within 3 years instead of the standard 5. Since you got to basically work the extra 20 plus hours to cover all business related expense, annual leave, sick leave & super. 60 hours makes sense.

A normal full time position would be 33-38 hours PW but all expenses are covered by the company. In this day and age finding good full time position and work is getting more and more difficult as most businesses cannot afford it or put profits over employee and when you have weak contracting laws in Australia especially where a lot of businesses can bypass it they take full advantage.

Happy valentines day to everyone :smile:

Last edited:

RoboRider

ATO reckons 60 hours per week is full time hours for rideshare and it one of the benchmarks where you can use accelerated depreciation on cars worth over 20k and depreciate it within 3 years instead of the standard 5.

Since you got to basically work the extra 20 plus hours to cover all business related expense, annual leave, sick leave & super. 60 hours makes sense.

A normal full time position would be 33-38 hours PW but all expenses are covered by the company.
Accelerated depreciation relates to km traveled not hours worked although the two are interlinked to some degree.

You have a source for that?

Immoralized

Accelerated depreciation relates to km traveled not hours worked although the two are interlinked to some degree.

You have a source for that?
Yes it on the ATO website.

Yes it is to a large extent related to hours online and working. Anyways I find tax pretty boring but ATO from what I read and I've read a lot of what they have put up already to be quite informative.

But they figured they will allow drivers in rideshare to depreciate assets faster than standard rates if the driver can prove that they are working legit hours and operating as intended. One of the examples they used is a driver doing 60 hours per week. Which they will accept and can easily be tracked on app and they can fact check it all on the system since they got all of the details from rideshare companies.

It probably not only to do with online hours ect but prevent people from gaming the system and getting a 50k car and using rideshare to pay it off when they are only doing 10-20 hours over the weekend. While they have a main job during the week and reducing their taxable income. In essence one gets a free car and claim it as loss on tax each year for 3 years as main employment would exist already.

Have a mate that wanted another runaround car valued 15k so could depreciate it instantly did Uber 20 hours PW and employed part time as a council truck driver. Essentially at the end of tax time he owed no taxes "got full refund" and got a car out of it and didn't do Uber the year after. Wasn't only the car was his phones and all car related expense, rego, insurance ect.

Last edited:

Vegeta09

He's not trolling ... just giving you an appropriate reaction to your line of reasoning :confused:
No, an appropriate response reads like this..

ATO reckons 60 hours per week is full time hours for rideshare and it one of the benchmarks where you can use accelerated depreciation on cars worth over 20k and depreciate it within 3 years instead of the standard 5. Since you got to basically work the extra 20 plus hours to cover all business related expense, annual leave, sick leave & super. 60 hours makes sense.

A normal full time position would be 33-38 hours PW but all expenses are covered by the company. In this day and age finding good full time position and work is getting more and more difficult as most businesses cannot afford it or put profits over employee and when you have weak contracting laws in Australia especially where a lot of businesses can bypass it they take full advantage.

Happy valentines day to everyone :smile:
True, 60 hours makes sense.
5 days a week, 12 hour shifts.

I know someone who drives a taxi, he works 5:30am to 5:30pm, from Monday to Friday.

I just thought it might be different for uber drivers, given we don't work set shifts like taxi drivers do.

How does insurance work with uber, given the hours vary enormously? Reason I ask is because there are insurance policies specifically for uber drivers, and I can't imagine people who only do a few hours on the weekends, paying $400 odd a month for full time uber driver's insurance.

Immoralized

Link please.

Find it yourself or send me a thousand to do ur taxes for you. You don't get the link until I get the cash upfront :roflmao:
Call ur accountant actually he can provide you that link. Tax advice and tax information is absolute gold. It not free.
Post automatically merged:

No, an appropriate response reads like this..

True, 60 hours makes sense.
5 days a week, 12 hour shifts.

I know someone who drives a taxi, he works 5:30am to 5:30pm, from Monday to Friday.

I just thought it might be different for uber drivers, given we don't work set shifts like taxi drivers do.

How does insurance work with uber, given the hours vary enormously? Reason I ask is because there are insurance policies specifically for uber drivers, and I can't imagine people who only do a few hours on the weekends, paying $400 odd a month for full time uber driver's insurance.
Insurance companies that offer unlimited hours are Bingle, AAMI and a few others but they ask for higher premiums. Comprehensive from those two providers $700-1000 for bingle and AAMI higher but get a bit more after market support. 900-1300. Then the rest charge 1200-3000.

Last edited:

Vegeta09

Insurance companies that offer unlimited hours are Bingle, AAMI and a few others but they ask for higher premiums. Comprehensive from those two providers $700-1000 for bingle and AAMI higher but get a bit more after market support. 900-1300. Then the rest charge 1200-3000.
The insurance companies would be making a killing, with more and more drivers getting on the road, they won't want a cap on uber drivers to be introduced here, like what they have in New York.

RoboRider

A number of insurance companies (QBE for example) include ride share in a standard policy provided you do less than a stipulated amount of hours per week (think it was 35 for QBE). Others require you to select ride share as primary use of the car.

@Immoralized advice is good regarding depreciation however it doesn't change the fact thta the government only care about your total income and legitimate deductions. All he has done is highlight that you can claim accelerated depreciation on your vehicle if you travel enough KM in it (ie what your legitimate deduction is). Tax rates do not depend on how much you drive ride share

The only thing that affects the depreciation rate you can claim on an asset (e.g. a car) is the effective life of the asset. Perhaps there is a link drawn between hours worked and effective life but I haven't seen anything on the ATO website that states this so would be interested in seeing a link. When I took out my last novated lease car the lease company said I could use a lower residual because I was planning on doing 30-40K KM per annum but I never saw anything that justified that so I stayed with standard depreciation rates

Last edited: