• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How many drivers bought a Fastrak or Metro Express transponder?

SynergyDrive

Any advice or cautions from Uber experts out there about transponders or making toll payments? Good to have or not? How do most people pay for tolls on the 241,261,133 or Downtown LA or San Diego? Newbie Flame Suit ON!

Any advice or cautions from Uber experts out there about transponders or making toll payments? Good to have or not? How do most people pay for tolls on the 241,261,133 or Downtown LA or San Diego? Newbie Flame Suit ON!
No downside for a driver with fastrak/metro express transponder...If it is a separate tollway uber reimburses, sometimes it takes an email

Old Rocker

I'm not in your area, but in Houston I couldn't imagine not having a tollway transponder.

Turbo

Works on every toll road in California, a definite must-have for Uber driving. It even gets you across the Golden gate Bridge. Be sure and get the transponder with a switch so you can take advantage of free driving on 110 and 10 when you have one or two passengers in the car with you (different agencies sell different versions but any one with a switch operates the same).

I don't know the magic behind it, but if you're on an Uber run and you use your transponder for a toll, it gets automatically added to the PAX's fare.

Do it!

CommanderXL

Works on every toll road in California, a definite must-have for Uber driving. It even gets you across the Golden gate Bridge. Be sure and get the transponder with a switch so you can take advantage of free driving on 110 and 10 when you have one or two passengers in the car with you (different agencies sell different versions but any one with a switch operates the same).

I don't know the magic behind it, but if you're on an Uber run and you use your transponder for a toll, it gets automatically added to the PAX's fare.

Do it!
Sadly, there is no magic to it at all. Uber just looks at the route and if there was a toll it is supposed to be "automatically" added to the fare at the transponder rate. The caveat is that sometimes (a lot of times) it's not automatically added and you have to ask for a fare adjustment within 48 hours after the trip.

Every driver should have the transponder, especially if there is a reduced rate for the toll as that is what Uber reimburses you, not the regular toll.

Turbo

^ interesting. Just wondered how it could tell which lane you were in, to know whether you were in a paid lane or a few feet to the right in the free zone. But I will check the statements now to make sure!

mandreyka

Do they reimburse you for 91 tolls? I know they do for 73/133/241 etc but heard they DONT on the 110/10

Casuale Haberdasher

POST # 1/SynergyDrive: Your Avatar
brings a Near
Chortle to the Haberdasher. Bison how-
ever finds that the Juxtaposition of a
Hydrocephalic Kristin Wigg...wearing a wig...in the SNL Lawrence Welk Parody..
waving her BabyDoll appendages.........
renders him all "WIGGEDOUT!"

Well-done! Put the Nomex Suit away.
You'll fit right in here.
BTW: Welcome to UPNF.

UberAccent

Do it!
How much does one cost? And where can I get one? Thank you

Turbo

How much does one cost? And where can I get one? Thank you
Different regions of California have their own toll agencies. They each have their own transponders and fee structures, but they work anywhere in the state. Buy online or sometimes at grocery stores, AAA, etc. I got mine (Orange County version) at a Haggen store in Irvine and there was a free pre-loaded toll promotion going at the time. It was about $37 and you register online with a credit card for future toll balance debits.

Not every agency's transponder version has the 1-2-3 switch you need to make full use of SR91 and I-10, so check to make sure.

91expresslanes.com
thetollroads.com
metroexpresslanes.net
511sd.com/fastrak511sd
southbayexpressway.com
bayareafastrak.org

DeeFree

Do they reimburse you for 91 tolls? I know they do for 73/133/241 etc but heard they DONT on the 110/10
I think you're right for LYFT. Don't know about Uber. Just checked their article about tolls and they don't have L.A. county or city even on the list.

Amsoil Uber Connect

I just go online and pay it. www.thetollroads.com. Uber gets it right most of the time.

It depends on how much you will use it. The last time the 405 was a parking lot. I asked the pax and they said ok. So I did.

The only thing I don't like is they don't take my deb. card for Uber have to use visa, ugh

mopapa

I got one.
Get it from any selling retailer but make sure you get the one for LA METEO TOLL ROADS. Do not get the one from the Orange County Agency. The LA one cost $2 per month (maintenance fee) the Orange County one is $7 per month.
You may use either of them on any road.