• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How long will you wait without a ping?

Coachman

Today for me the limit was an hour and fifteen minutes.

I left home at 1:30. Headed in my usual direction toward heavy density. At fifteen minutes I stopped for a soda. At 35 minutes I got a cheeseburger. At 45 minutes I was starting to get fed up. At 50 minutes I was 12 miles from home and decided to turn around and make my way back.

I got nothing all the way home.

Ants everywhere.

At 2:45 I turned off the app.

LAWeasel

I have a high probability staging area with few to zero ants around for a long trip or airport run between 4:30 and 7 am. After that, the same area turns into infrequent trips and short runs.

If Lyft gives me such a trip in those hours, I end up where the action is and work all day. If not, I turn the app off and I'm done until late afternoon.

If they give my ride to an ant further out than I am (which has happened twice) lyft goes into a 48 hour timeout and I only work Uber. Did it this week and after 2 days, turned on the app and they played nice. Same this morning. The algo will learn I am not reliable for a 12 hour shift if they are going to draw in ants at least 15 minutes out.

theMezz

if I go 20 min w/o a ping I go home, but leave the app on
I live close to hospitals, colleges and shopping so on slowest day I will never go longer than 45 minutes
we have tons of rideshare drivers here and zillions of cabs

ANTlifebaby

Wow, I guess it depends on the market. I very rarely go for 10-15 mins without a ping in the middle of the day in the suburbs of Chicago.

Coachman

Hour and fifteen minutes without a ping in DFW??? What have you done to anger the Gods Of The Algorithms???
I live 32 miles from downtown Dallas and 23 miles from downtown Fort Worth. I find that if I head toward Dallas on Hwy 114 I run into all the ants leaving the airport so I try to avoid that. I generally head toward Fort Worth and usually I'll pick up a ride within about ten or fifteen minutes. That first ride is often the hardest to get.

Rakos

I live 32 miles from downtown Dallas and 23 miles from downtown Fort Worth. I find that if I head toward Dallas on Hwy 114 I run into all the ants leaving the airport so I try to avoid that. I generally head toward Fort Worth and usually I'll pick up a ride within about ten or fifteen minutes. That first ride is often the hardest to get.

Where do you live....Hurst or Euless...???

Sure do miss Argyle watermelons...yum...

I sure miss Grapevine Lake....

Especially barn door crappie...yum...8>)

Rakos
Copy of 721cdc9325cd56bddcb645bdef488d4f--orangutans-baby-orangutan.jpg

Las Vegas Dude

I usually wait for awhile. I would rather not just run miles and gas off my car. I figure I would be just sitting at home watching tv or looking at my phone. I can do the same waiting for a ping in my car. YouTube, Dish Anywhere, surfing the internet.

itendstonight

I usually wait for awhile. I would rather not just run miles and gas off my car. I figure I would be just sitting at home watching tv or looking at my phone. I can do the same waiting for a ping in my car. YouTube, Dish Anywhere, surfing the internet.
I usually stage at a Sheetz or big gas station and drink a coffee and use my phone (unlimited plane for $45) and do what I would have done at home surfing the net. No wasted miles and heavy traffic by a university always gets a ping within 20 mins

goneubering

Today for me the limit was an hour and fifteen minutes.

I left home at 1:30. Headed in my usual direction toward heavy density. At fifteen minutes I stopped for a soda. At 35 minutes I got a cheeseburger. At 45 minutes I was starting to get fed up. At 50 minutes I was 12 miles from home and decided to turn around and make my way back.

I got nothing all the way home.

Ants everywhere.

At 2:45 I turned off the app.
Half hour. After that I relocate.

Asificarewhatyoudontthink

I have a high probability staging area with few to zero ants around for a long trip or airport run between 4:30 and 7 am. After that, the same area turns into infrequent trips and short runs.

If Lyft gives me such a trip in those hours, I end up where the action is and work all day. If not, I turn the app off and I'm done until late afternoon.

If they give my ride to an ant further out than I am (which has happened twice) lyft goes into a 48 hour timeout and I only work Uber. Did it this week and after 2 days, turned on the app and they played nice. Same this morning. The algo will learn I am not reliable for a 12 hour shift if they are going to draw in ants at least 15 minutes out.
How TF are you even guessing if they "have it to an ant further out...".

hrswartz

When I get a ping... that's what I'm out there for not to come back home and insure I made nothing for the effort... anything else just costs MORE money... just sayin'

LAWeasel

Tells you only where unmatched drivers are.

Ever notice your car disappears when you get a ride...because you are unavailable.
Yes. I don't have a ride, they don't have a ride. I'm sitting there watching over an hour. The closest ant is 13 minutes away. 17 minutes later an ant passes me into a gated community I'm in front of and leaves with a ride. What does that tell you?

TomTheAnt

then it happens, like always...pings on both platforms.
Friggin happens all the time! Especially right after accepting the other one. It’s like Gods Of The Algorithms were alerted about the ping from the other platform. Just like when you start to think about heading home, but leave the apps running just in case. LOL!!!
Trophy Club
Ah..., Trophy Club. Get pings almost always when I pass by. Whether I like it or not. Haha!

But yeah, Saturday afternoon in TC/Keller etc. might be a bit quiet.

Last edited: