• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How long will drivers last?

How long before Uber and Lyft will be driverless?

• 5 years

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • 10 years

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • I don't think it can happen.

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Riders will not ride in a driverless car.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

uberJAW817

Hello, first timer here. I just joined Uber and Lyft after debating it for over 2 years. I wanted to make some extra money. I have been reading a lot of posts and have done a lot of math. The most insightful ones are about the money being made coming out of the equity of your car. You really have to work the system get make the math work and it is hard to pull off every night. Hell my very first ride request was 14 mins out to Haslet to drive some teens (18, I verified) a mile down the road. Lesson learned. But I knew most of this coming in. I am doing it to bring in my equity to put against larger loans, like my house. I make a good 6 figure salary but have 3 days weekends. Sometimes I want to get out and drive around and see the city I grew up in for 40 years and meet some interesting people. I do feel very bad for those in this economy that this may be one of the few chances for a decent living (sic) or to get just ahead on come bills. I wish there was a way to make this type of job better. The no tipping option for Uber is really inexcusable. In the end if every driver switched to Lyft and refused to drive for Uber then riders would have to switch to Lyft. All I can say is that it will take a concerted effort. Drivers will have to pick a week or a day and let all their riders know that on that day only Lyft will be working. A few of these and Uber will cave to the pressure or riders will start using Lyft more. In the end Uber and Lyft are working hard to get rid of us and will succeed. How long will we even be needed? Anyways, enough of my rambling. Happy to be part of the community!

TIMB

Hell, we cant even get them to log off for a few MINUTES to build up surge. What makes you think they will log off for an ENTIRE day? And what's your idea to get this information to ALL the drivers out there? Word of mouth doesn't seem to work, or surge would be there everyday.

uberJAW817

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If people were serious about what they do they would seek out places like this to get more information. Unfortunately most people just get a job and scrape by in the dark. I have never understood this. Where I work we have programmers who used to work in the business they know support. One day the company asked who wants to be a programmer and a bunch of people raised their hands. They were trained and started working. They do nothing to further their craft. As a result we have systems that barely work and take forever to even add a new feature. The apathy in this country is staggering. Why take a job if you are not willing to really work at it?

Anyways, yeah disseminating the information would be impossible. But I think if there were enough drivers that did coordinate it that maybe pax would start to ask on all their rides and other drivers would hear it through them. There will be lots that take advantage and eat up the resulting surge though. Just tossing out ideas.

Jong235

Would have to organize a rally @ downtown office and get news (not WFAA) coverage and announce plans for a "walk-out".

How else can you communicate to the whole metroplex and explain the plan?

Probably get nationwide coverage and really get some shit started.

Either way, would be free PR for Uber and they will come out ahead.

This would give them a chance to step in while the public is watching and do the right thing by taking care of the drivers and finding others areas to cut-back.

uberJAW817

How could it be good PR for Uber? I think by drivers announcing that they are going Lyft only for a day/week and encouraging pax to use Lyft during that time since there is a tipping option would only be good for Lyft. Uber might start rethinking their position if it keeps happening and revenues are suffering. Lyft gaining traction is the one thing that Uber cares about.

Jong235

any press is good press if it's free

if Uber corrects the problem, the public will praise management and be encouraged to use Uber more frequently.

Big Company...

uberJAW817

I just signed up for Lyft. I will reserve judgement. I know that as a pax the only 2 rides I have taken on Lyft were the 2 worst rideshare cars I have ever been in.

Bad uber pro

You make it sound like we make a kiling in tipps with lyft. My last 100 lyft riders probably left a total of $20 in tips. Mind you, i get complements everday how nice and clean my car is and 4.9 rating

uberJAW817

Well the amount of tips is not the point. It is that Uber does not give the ability at all and actively discourages it with their language.

Waffles

You make it sound like we make a kiling in tipps with lyft. My last 100 lyft riders probably left a total of $20 in tips. Mind you, i get complements everday how nice and clean my car is and 4.9 rating
Congrats on the clean car and the 5 stars. Can you pay your rent with that?

Bad uber pro

Congrats on the clean car and the 5 stars. Can you pay your rent with that?
My point exactly... If passangers were happy with how everything went, then tipping should be reasonable. So if they dont when that option is provided, then tip on the app is not the issue