How long does the battery on a Toyota Prius or ther hybrid cars and trucks last?

jonhjax

does anyone have any firsthand knowledge or experience with battery life in hybrid cars or trucks?

Santa

The average is 8 years. It won't die after that but will have very low power.

Last year a buddy of mine bought a 2008-2009 civic hybrid. He had to return it because he was saying it didn't have much power to climb a bridge or a hill. He said the speed won't go above 40 km while climbing. On regular roads it wasn't much powerful either.

So do a thorough Google search and read real reviews by owners, not by journalists and those paid to do a review.

jonhjax

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is that regardless of the amount of miles you drive. I believe the batteries in hybrids are lithium types and eight years is the life expectancy of most of them but I was wondering if the amount of miles you drive will shorten the battery's life. Thanks very much for your help with my question

Santa

Is that regardless of the amount of miles you drive. I believe the batteries in hybrids are lithium types and eight years is the life expectancy of most of them but I was wondering if the amount of miles you drive will shorten the battery's life. Thanks very much for your help with my question
All batteries whether used in cars, cellphones, etc, have the same characteristics. The more you use them the faster they'll lose their power.