How long do pings last on Uber and Lyft? Getting shorter????

Chocoholic

How long do Uber and Lyft pings last now? How long do we have to accept a ride on each?

I know that the Uber FAQ says 15 seconds, but it seems more like about 8 to 10 seconds now. Lyft seems longer. Did they sneak the time down so we don't have time to read the screen?

This came to a head the other day. I had a run down to Huntington Beach. Dropped the pax off and was checking the back seat and got a ping. Jumped up front just to see a 45+ disappear. IMHO, it was definitely not 15 seconds. Anyone have any dashcam recordings? (A phone has no right not to be recorded by a dashcam! ;-) )

Korean Ant

How long do Uber and Lyft pings last now? How long do we have to accept a ride on each?

I know that the Uber FAQ says 15 seconds, but it seems more like about 8 to 10 seconds now. Lyft seems longer. Did they sneak the time down so we don't have time to read the screen?

This came to a head the other day. I had a run down to Huntington Beach. Dropped the pax off and was checking the back seat and got a ping. Jumped up front just to see a 45+ disappear. IMHO, it was definitely not 15 seconds. Anyone have any dashcam recordings? (A phone has no right not to be recorded by a dashcam! ;-) )
Its about 10 secs...
The worst thing is, when uve been waiting at lax for like 4 hrs for a freaken ping. N somehow u didnt hear the request n get kicked out. Another 4 hrs. ???

UberIsAllFubared

My uber ping is about 4-5 seconds. I kid you not. Its ridiculously short. In fact, I think I complained about it in a thread a few months back. I have no idea what game uber is playing... my guess, they don't want me to really scrutinize the request. They want me to frantically accept anything before it goes away... guess what uber, that will never happen.

Lyft ping is probably about 15 seconds and I have not noticed a decrease.

goneubering

No way it’s 15 seconds now.

Edit. I mean on Uber. I don’t know what the time is on Lyft.

k4ever

If your screen is at the uberapp it lasts longer than if you were doing something else like watching youtube, posting at UP, at the Lyft app, checking nudes, etc ...

somedriverguy

If your screen is at the uberapp it lasts longer than if you were doing something else like watching youtube, posting at UP, at the Lyft app, checking nudes, etc ...
Good info.
Post automatically merged:

Only thing I have going on, on that phone is uber.... and it doesn't last more than 5 seconds.
Proof that they find it more important to craft each app to individual drivers than just making the damn thing work? Maybe you should record it just to prove to yourself or to have to cram down naysayer's throats.

DocT

Having the Uber app running on main screen, a ping usually lasts about 5-8 seconds for me. It goes really fast. It's been like this for years.
Lyft is about 15 seconds (running in the background).

DollarFree

Probably Uber trying to coerce drivers to keep Uber app on top.
Used to be I kept Lyft on top ‘cos the Uber notification said the ride type and I could ignore it when it said Pool. They finally realized that so have removed ride type from the notification.
Now they figure a shorter Ping will make u keep Uber on top cos there’s always time to toggle to Lyft.
And Lyft hardly ever change their app, too lazy or could care less who knows.

Chocoholic

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got a Select ping an hour or so again. Immediately pulled my phone out of my pocket (I was walking). Typed in my 4 digit PIN. Too late. Gone. Seemed like less than 5 seconds.
Are you sure you heard it when it actually started? It was in your pocket. I know I don't always hear phone alerts immediately, but then my hearing isn't exactly perfect.

somedriverguy

Are you sure you heard it when it actually started? It was in your pocket. I know I don't always hear phone alerts immediately, but then my hearing isn't exactly perfect.
I have had pings where the screen changed, the circle turned half way, and THEN it made a noise. So watch for that too, it seems more common when UBER is running in the background.

Carbuncle

I thought it was 30 seconds. I have no idea. When I first started it seemed really fast. Then it seemed like it took forever. Since they added the ability to decline the request I haven't paid any attention.
Uber needs to be sued for this. It’s a clear safety hazard.

goneubering

Having the Uber app running on main screen, a ping usually lasts about 5-8 seconds for me. It goes really fast. It's been like this for years.
Lyft is about 15 seconds (running in the background).
6 seconds on the one I timed tonight but I think some have been even faster in the past.