Uber Drivers Forum banner

How long did it take you to get your For Hire Permit?

2K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  Amos69 
#1 ·
Hey there! Los Angeles Driver here! I'm moving to the Seattle area soon and was wondering how long does it take to get your first For Hire Permit especially if you got it through Lyft? (I won't be driving for Fuber)

#2 ·
Depends on how backed up the city is. You will have to have your vehicle inspected, here, first. I would give 3-5 weeks. You can operate without it, just can't operate at the airport.

I believe you will also need WA registration for your vehicle and a WA DL.

Also, you WILL need Uber here.

#7 ·
(I won't be driving for Fuber)
Good luck surviving in Seattle doing Lyft only. The area is WAY oversaturated, and Lyft just keeps getting worse.

Even outside of Seattle/King County, driver saturation at 4 am looks like this...

#8 ·
Good luck surviving in Seattle doing Lyft only. The area is WAY oversaturated, and Lyft just keeps getting worse.

View attachment 319175

Even outside of Seattle/King County, driver saturation at 4 am looks like this...

View attachment 319176
Interesting... If the rates are the same on both platforms (both of which are MUCH higher than LA) then I'll have no problem driving for Uber as well. Down here I don't want to drive for Uber because the rates are 25% less than Lyft. Lyft is the only way to make money down here for now.

#9 ·
My last two came through Gryft and arrived in about four weeks. My first one took 3 months. Go get inspected at Gryft even with your temp plates. You absolutely need to run Goober too. Generally I am 80 / 20 Goober in this market. King county and Snohomish county rates are solid. Tacoma rates are approximately 30% less. Drop and Deadhead!

Haven't seen a sting at the AP in a while, but that just means we are due. Drop and deadhead without your TNC permit.

#11 ·
Cool! Thanks everyone for the info! Since the permit isn't required for regular driving I'll apply for it and not sweat it. I was trying to figure out how long i'd be dead in the water waiting for the permit once I move. Thankfully the License and Registration process is the only thing I'll have to wait around for. See y'all in a month or two!

#13 ·
I would have thought Lyft only was completely unviable before my trials and tribulations with Uber and Lyft deactivating me but I’m doing 80-90% of my combined Uber/Lyft business on Lyft only. Right now I’m doing $25-30/hour, $15-20ish/ ride. And that hourly figure is with a LOT of missing pings because I’m goofing off doing my grocery shopping or playing pinball or something (short attention span/meds). Tips have been helping a lot. Did 7/7 tips yesterday for a total of $200 over 6 hours.

That said, I might still be on the Lyft welcome back priority list.

#14 ·
I would have thought Lyft only was completely unviable before my trials and tribulations with Uber and Lyft deactivating me but I'm doing 80-90% of my combined Uber/Lyft business on Lyft only. Right now I'm doing $25-30/hour, $15-20ish/ ride. And that hourly figure is with a LOT of missing pings because I'm goofing off doing my grocery shopping or playing pinball or something (short attention span/meds). Tips have been helping a lot. Did 7/7 tips yesterday for a total of $200 over 6 hours.

That said, I might still be on the Lyft welcome back priority list.
Finally got Lyft to work... combined U/L I grossed $176 in 7 hours... I could NEVER do that in LA except on a Friday or Saturday night!

#18 · (Edited)
You have much to learn about this market.
Yes I do... I know I made a few bad calls yesterday.

If I make $176, I'm frustrated.
I look forward to the day where I am frustrated with that number too LOL!! (Teach me senpai)

If I were in Uber (+ Lyft) I wouldn't be happy with that number. That $200/6 hour was on a Monday working only daylight hours inclusive of the 10am-2pm dead period because I can't see at night.
I didn't get on the road until 2pm and drove until 10pm with about an hour of downtime getting gas, food, stretch break etc. I am slowly going to have to become *GULP* a morning person. In LA and afternoon/evening shift usually got better results because of traffic demand was never an issue. Obviously things are different here! But I was grateful for my measly $176 because the effort and milage required to make it was WAY less here than it ever was in LA.

#30 ·
Not really bro. This ain't April.

Last week I saw enforcement on two evenings. On one I got the full Monty. Full frontal and an oil check as well. All my docs were in order.
It's useless, you don't need anything on you or your car if you're just passing through the garage after being cutoff and forced into the wrong portion of the airport.

#33 ·
Sweet! There is a decent little parking lot just south of the administration building on fourth between two buildings. Park there and pay for 30 minutes then walk a block north. Up to the floor. Forget which one but its like two up, perhaps fifth street.

Welcome to the Ant Hill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.